Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2022
#582211
They thought they could ignore us...

They thought they could ban us...

They thought we'd just go away...

THEY THOUGHT WRONG!

After a 2 year hiatus from CC organized play, The KCAs are back in action!

The plans have been made in the council chambers (aka my kitchen table). And like the Honorable warriors that we are, we're showing our faces to our nerd enemies.

We'll be in Florida for Worlds, Who will make the journey to join us in a final glorious battle?

Better take advantage of the opportunity, you may not have another...

#lastworlds
Attachments:
20220720_192617.jpg
20220720_192617.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 717 times
User avatar
 
By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Grand Nagus
#582212
I can only ever play online, but none of you have ever been banned from organized play so go for it and good luck. :cheersL:
User avatar
 
By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Chancellor
2E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2022
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2022
2E German National Champion 2022
#582213
I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2022
#582214
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
Well... nobody is stopping you from doing a run-in....

Don't feel bad though, I'm in full Worlds prep mode. I'll see you in the Dojo next week...
User avatar
 
By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Chancellor
2E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2022
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2022
2E German National Champion 2022
#582216
Armus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:19 am
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
Well... nobody is stopping you from doing a run-in....

Don't feel bad though, I'm in full Worlds prep mode. I'll see you in the Dojo next week...
I'm looking forward to it, as I'm in full ECC prep mode. :wink:
User avatar
 
By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Grand Nagus
#582217
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
Fully agreed tbh. Maybe we can get an unofficial online worlds this year again at least.
User avatar
Writing Team Manager
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Writing Team Manager
 -  
Specialist
Donor
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2022
#582218
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
NACC is a Continentals?
User avatar
 
By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Chancellor
2E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2022
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2022
2E German National Champion 2022
#582219
OKCoyote wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 am
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
NACC is a Continentals?
I'm not quite sure what your question is, Dan. I'm calling worlds NACC cuz realistically that's what it's gonna be.
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2022
#582236
Gorgo Primus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 am
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
Fully agreed tbh. Maybe we can get an unofficial online worlds this year again at least.
@bosskamiura ran his Dojo "World Championships" last month.

Jon Carter won 2e and I won 1e. We're "World Champions" for the next year, at least in the Dojo anyway. :wink:
Attachments:
190651.jpeg
190651.jpeg (548.88 KiB) Viewed 648 times
User avatar
 
By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Grand Nagus
#582238
Oh I missed that that was the Dojo worlds. Well I took part and did well then, so no complaints here.
User avatar
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2022
Alpha Hunter
1E North American Continental Champion 2022
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2022
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
#582243
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 am I wish they'd stop calling this NACC a worlds and give in to the fact that the only proper worlds these days is an online worlds.
#shotsfired @LORE
shots fired? This tired old "online player community wanting something for nothing" trope? Please.

I just want people to play, dude. Not enough in the community are, both in person and online. Attendance at tournaments across the globe is way down this year, as is the amount of bids to host high-level events. If anything, I would relish the online community stepping up to host a high-level gig (i.e. a Masters.) But that would require actually doing the work of mailing out the prizes to all the participants, which historically nobody unaffiliated with the CC's Organized Play team has wanted to do.
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2022
#582249
LORE wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:41 am If anything, I would relish the online community stepping up to host a high-level gig (i.e. a Masters.) But that would require actually doing the work of mailing out the prizes to all the participants, which historically nobody unaffiliated with the CC's Organized Play team has wanted to do.
Ummm.... do what now?

*checks track record*

I used to do that a lot before online Masters was a thing.

Multiple years of online Regionals where I bought Regionals Kits and mailed out prizes on my own dime.

A full year of Return to Talos IV/Farpoint where I supplemented high turnout affairs with bonus prizes out of my stash - again on my own dime. I even volunteered to run a Masters in 2020 but Carter @pfti was in place at that point and told me he had it covered.

I stopped doing all of that for what should be very obvious reasons at this point.

But even leaving all of that aside, I thought the big event online prizes were being handled directly by the warehouse. That's how it was with the official Talos/ Farpoint foils anyway, and the Subspace Series foils as well... was that just a COVID thing or is that the way business is done now? I'm asking because it's not clear.

And maybe I missed it, but I don't recall OP asking anyone to take on that online responsibility. Was it part of the OP big event bid article? Running an online event isn't particularly difficult or time consuming (the biggest headache is unresponsive players, but that can be dealt with with clear rules up front). Have y'all actually asked for the help?
User avatar
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2022
Alpha Hunter
1E North American Continental Champion 2022
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2022
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2022
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
#582254
Armus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 pm... I thought the big event online prizes were being handled directly by the warehouse. That's how it was with the official Talos/ Farpoint foils anyway, and the Subspace Series foils as well... was that just a COVID thing or is that the way business is done now? I'm asking because it's not clear.
Let me preface by saying I have no beef with you whatsoever, Brian. But for the record, all the Talos / Farpoint / Subspace Series foils were packaged / shipped by me directly out of my pocket. I believe I sent out 3 waves of prize packs in total, to the tune of about $500 in shipping costs. Again, and entirely for the record, that was me and not the warehouse. I chose to do it entirely as a response to COVID keeping us from playing in person.
Armus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 pmAnd maybe I missed it, but I don't recall OP asking anyone to take on that online responsibility. Was it part of the OP big event bid article? Running an online event isn't particularly difficult or time consuming (the biggest headache is unresponsive players, but that can be dealt with with clear rules up front). Have y'all actually asked for the help?
Online Regionals and higher function the same as in-person events; there is a Coordinator, but running all the gigs should not fall on them alone. Jon and I (as Online Coordinator and Director of Organized Play, respectively) personally ran the first two online sealed / draft Regionals this year in April and nobody subsequently stepped up to run constructed Regionals thereafter. Ditto running anything higher than that online this year. MVB and I talked about this exact thing at Continentals last week, and the OP team will be putting together constructed online Regionals and / or Masters in the coming months. But the fact remains, this should not fall entirely at the feet of Jon / OP. The critics gotta be willing to do some of the work too. :twocents:
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2022
#582256
LORE wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:40 pm
Armus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 pm... I thought the big event online prizes were being handled directly by the warehouse. That's how it was with the official Talos/ Farpoint foils anyway, and the Subspace Series foils as well... was that just a COVID thing or is that the way business is done now? I'm asking because it's not clear.
Let me preface by saying I have no beef with you whatsoever, Brian. But for the record, all the Talos / Farpoint / Subspace Series foils were packaged / shipped by me directly out of my pocket. I believe I sent out 3 waves of prize packs in total, to the tune of about $500 in shipping costs. Again, and entirely for the record, that was me and not the warehouse. I chose to do it entirely as a response to COVID keeping us from playing in person.
Thanks for clarifying this point, Kris. Honestly, that should be something the CC looks at reimbursing you for. You shouldn't have to take a solo financial hit for keeping things running during a pandemic like that.

I know how frustrating it can be to do something like that and not get any appreciation for it, so I'll just say thank you for your efforts. I hope the CC board sees fit to at least cover part of those non-trivial costs, but that's y'all's affair.
Armus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 pmAnd maybe I missed it, but I don't recall OP asking anyone to take on that online responsibility. Was it part of the OP big event bid article? Running an online event isn't particularly difficult or time consuming (the biggest headache is unresponsive players, but that can be dealt with with clear rules up front). Have y'all actually asked for the help?
Online Regionals and higher function the same as in-person events; there is a Coordinator, but running all the gigs should not fall on them alone. Jon and I (as Online Coordinator and Director of Organized Play, respectively) personally ran the first two online sealed / draft Regionals this year in April and nobody subsequently stepped up to run constructed Regionals thereafter. Ditto running anything higher than that online this year. MVB and I talked about this exact thing at Continentals last week, and the OP team will be putting together constructed online Regionals and / or Masters in the coming months. But the fact remains, this should not fall entirely at the feet of Jon / OP. The critics gotta be willing to do some of the work too. :twocents:
That's fair. Maybe for next year put the call out specifically for online Regional/Masters directors as part of the bidding process. Jon has run several high profile online events the last couple of years so it's possible that's now viewed as established precedent so nobody feels the need to step up.

But again, that's not my affair. I wish you the best in your efforts.
User avatar
 
By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Grand Nagus
#582271
Still don’t see why TOs need to plan to pay for or mail anything physical in order to ever host high level online events. I mean, they’re nice and all so I appreciate the effort/sentiment, but physical cards go on a pile on my shelf and that’s about it. I’m playing online, so if the prize isn’t digital I can’t use it unless it’s something wild like cash or a physical trophy or something (none of which I need from a TO, to be clear).

So if the big hurdle in someone’s mind is “but I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars to ship out prizes” then they’re missing the point of why many of us are here playing online or want high level events imo. Just don’t spend the money! :twocents:

Also TK runs events every month of the year. Has he been offered/asked to host Masters or something and refused? I feel a little like you’re implying nobody wants to step up to host anything unless it’s OP, but the vast majority of events aren’t from OP online at the moment. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your argument here cause that doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m very glad and thankful you are planning more events for us later regardless of all that though, so thank you.

Just a tiny question: All current erratas are in e[…]

https://image.ibb.co/kq3vMc/The_Dojo_Logo.png […]

https://image.ibb.co/kq3vMc/The_Dojo_Logo.png […]

Hello Hello Combatants! Congratulations friends, o[…]