Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

Which are you more excited about?

Paradise Lost
29%
Dominaria United
14%
I have no idea what either of those are
57%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last week: Euro Continentals 2020 Mini Stockwatch
8-10-22 The Menagmiss
8-3-22 In Honor of Nichelle Nichols
7/27/22 The Menagaboost
7-20-22 Androids Vs. Romulans
7-13-22 A Menagerie of Benefits
7-6-22 Classification Civilian: Questions from Bob
6-29-22 Mission Condition
6-22-22 There But for the Grace of Main
6-15-22 Starcorder
6-8-22 Forever a Thief
6-1-22 Handful versus individual
5-25-22Masters May 2022 Mini Stockwatch
5-18-22 Mad-Lib a Number
5-11-22 Fifty underdogs
5-4-22 Fighting NeuNeuDominion
4-27-22 Mad-Lib a Card
4-20-22 The Middle of a Man
4-13-22 Committee Follow Up
4-6-22 Sub-Optimal
3-30-22 Consistently Inconsistent
3-23-22Twenty-Twenty First
3-16-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian Final
3-9-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian One Two and Three
3-2-22 Hall Of Fame 2022 With a Twist ... of Fate!
2-23-22 Classification: Civilian Page Wars Final
2-16-22Classification Civilian Page Wars One, Two and Three
2-9-22 Yakety yak
2-2-22Civilian vs. V.I.P.
1-26-22 When is a card not Picard
1-19-22 Staffing Concerns
1-12-22 Consistently Inconsistent
1-5-22 First Things First

This week we'll continue our detour. Don't worry, we'll get back to The Menagerie soon enough but there's something on my mind that I just need to get out.

There were two expansions that had previews last week that are of interest to us in the gaming community: Paradise Lost and Dominaria United. Let us know which you were (or are) more interested in and let us knw why in the space below.

Note that I am being purposefully vague about these expansions with good reason. I'll reveal that in due time shortly after the poll end but until then, please do not reveal which games these expansions belong to. I promise we'll have more than enough time to do so.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Paradise Lost. I don't play that game but I'm a huge fan of the work that set is based on and it is woefully underrepresented elsewhere so it's cool to see how they're being used where they are.

I've only played a little of the DU game.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I’m very excited for Paradise Lost. I feel like you can finally play the [CF] TMP stuff properly between this, the remaster and Second Star to the Right.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Now that the poll has closed, I'm interested to see where the focus is when 2E ahs nothing but both magic and 1E do. The former still has its fans, particularly with a wide ranging set on a plane they'll come back to while 1E was a much more focused and directed set with an era that will probably not be followed up in this fashion again.

Interesting to see where the off-peak attention lies.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Faithful Reader wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 amInteresting to see where the off-peak attention lies.

I have a passing interest in Magic (having spend thousands of hours and Pound Sterling on it over the decades), but in 2E's off-peak season, my past-time attention probably lies in the classics: catching up on reading, tv shows, and games on other platforms...

EDIT: ...which is why I didn't vote - I wasn't excited about either of the first two, but had some knowledge about them. Could've done with a fourth "Other answer" option.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:18 am
Faithful Reader wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 amInteresting to see where the off-peak attention lies.

I have a passing interest in Magic (having spend thousands of hours and Pound Sterling on it over the decades), but in 2E's off-peak season, my past-time attention probably lies in the classics: catching up on reading, tv shows, and games on other platforms...

EDIT: ...which is why I didn't vote - I wasn't excited about either of the first two, but had some knowledge about them. Could've done with a fourth "Other answer" option.
Option #4: "Meh."
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Mostly OT: mtg seems to have broken the concept of needing to buy into every set.

Based purely on the title, DU seems like it would remind me of the game of my childhood so I might get that.

But I would not buy into a film noir or anime or (heaven forbid) stranger things themed set.

I can see how they've built up a "something for everyone" portfolio, I'm fascinated to see how this does vs the old "keep up or lose" philosophy.

(Entirely hypothetical, I won't be buying anything except maybe some singles for my one commander deck)

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 am Now that the poll has closed, I'm interested to see where the focus is when 2E has nothing but both magic and 1E do. The former still has its fans, particularly with a wide ranging set on a plane they'll come back to while 1E was a much more focused and directed set with an era that will probably not be followed up in this fashion again.

Interesting to see where the off-peak attention lies.
I was looking for a Paradise Lost booster box at the store but I didn't see any... :wink:

Fun aside. I still take a strong look at 1e, I enjoy looking at every set. The cards are beautiful and I love the theme they transport from the show to the game so nicely. I even print out, cut out and file every new set. I just don't play it any more for several reasons..

Magic is an on and off thing depending on the cards in a given set. I don't play standard, only occasional Pioneer/Modern games of a certain color/theme. If the set fits that, I buy it..

8)

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]