Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last Week: Well, That Didn't Work
11-16-22 A Worldly side of Second Edition
11-9-22 Oh Give Me a home, Where the Hologram Roam ...
10-26-22 Pitch Me a Trip
10-19-22 Room for One More?
10-12-22 Don't be Draft, Man!
10-5-22 Worlds 2022 Mini Draft
9-28-22 September 2022 Grab Your Deck Results
9-21-22 It's September 12022, Grab Your Deck!
9-14-22 Moving the Needle on Khan
9-7-22 The Menagerie of Madness
8-31-22 UnderDissident
8-24-22 Last Week Today!
8-17-22 Euro Continentals 2020 Mini Stockwatch
8-10-22 The Menagmiss
8-3-22 In Honor of Nichelle Nichols
7/27/22 The Menagaboost
7-20-22 Androids Vs. Romulans
7-13-22 A Menagerie of Benefits
7-6-22 Classification Civilian: Questions from Bob
6-29-22 Mission Condition
6-22-22 There But for the Grace of Main
6-15-22 Starcorder
6-8-22 Forever a Thief
6-1-22 Handful versus individual
5-25-22Masters May 2022 Mini Stockwatch
5-18-22 Mad-Lib a Number
5-11-22 Fifty underdogs
5-4-22 Fighting NeuNeuDominion
4-27-22 Mad-Lib a Card
4-20-22 The Middle of a Man
4-13-22 Committee Follow Up
4-6-22 Sub-Optimal
3-30-22 Consistently Inconsistent
3-23-22Twenty-Twenty First
3-16-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian Final
3-9-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian One Two and Three
3-2-22 Hall Of Fame 2022 With a Twist ... of Fate!
2-23-22 Classification: Civilian Page Wars Final
2-16-22Classification Civilian Page Wars One, Two and Three
2-9-22 Yakety yak
2-2-22Civilian vs. V.I.P.
1-26-22 When is a card not Picard
1-19-22 Staffing Concerns
1-12-22 Consistently Inconsistent
1-5-22 First Things First

I've done a few affiliation drafts for high level events recently. In essence, you pick five affiliaitons/factions and fi they are used in that event, you get a point. It's fun for the whole family!

These do give us a snapshot of the community but we want to know the other end of the spectrum, so let's just ask: What affiliations/factions would surprise you if they were played at an event higher than a regional?

Just as in the drafts, feel free to post up to your top five. Also, be sure to let us know why.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Everything that can be summed up with just an icon is pretty viable, so I can't really draft anything here. I mean, even the more obscure stuff like Dissident Terok Nor would still just get drafted as [TN] .

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Currently I would be surprised to see [DS9-E] [Fer] [TN] [TOS] [Fed][Fut]

Not all of them for the same reasons though.
  • [Fer] and [TOS] simply because they haven't gotten anything new in a while.
  • [Fed] [Fut] people are yet to figure out what to do with them after the errata to Temporal Transporters left them without all the cheese.
  • [DS9-E] [TN] bring up the rear of the power rankings* at this point.
*which reminds me that the power rankings haven't been discussed in a while :wink:

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
monty42 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am*which reminds me that the power rankings haven't been discussed in a while :wink:

Say what one will about JC, he did have a knack for drawing one's attention to affiliation's power ratings.

Anyone want to get this opinion-ball rolling in a new topic?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:22 am
monty42 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am*which reminds me that the power rankings haven't been discussed in a while :wink:

Say what one will about JC, he did have a knack for drawing one's attention to affiliation's power ratings.

He also tried for years to get the community engaged in tracking power rankings and nobody participated.

Say what one will about JC, he had no shortage of good ideas, many of which got at best ignored and at worst actively undercut for the sole reason that they were *his* ideas.

And don't look too hard at the Origins of a lot of the things the CC does, lest you find his fingerprints all over a lot of "CC ideas"...

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Armus wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:55 pmSay what one will about JC, he had no shortage of good ideas, many of which got at best ignored and at worst actively undercut for the sole reason that they were *his* ideas.

At the risk of this spiralling, it wasn't just that they were his ideas, but ideas that came from an allegedly repeatedly-inflammatory figure who threatened the site with legal action and allegedly used family accounts to get round temporary bans, disregarding rules put in place for all to follow.

That said, as permabans have been lifted for folk who previously said "I'll see you in court!", I'm not sure what's actually stopping JC's ban being lifted? Definitely above my paygrade/badge colour.

Back to the topic at hand - let's get them affiliations ranked!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:30 pm
That said, as permabans have been lifted for folk who previously said "I'll see you in court!", I'm not sure what's actually stopping JC's ban being lifted? Definitely above my paygrade/badge colour.
I'm sorry.... do what now?

I miss a memo?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Danny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:30 pm That said, as permabans have been lifted for folk who previously said "I'll see you in court!"
This has not happened.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:20 pm
Danny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:30 pm That said, as permabans have been lifted for folk who previously said "I'll see you in court!"
This has not happened.
Too bad. Y'all doing it on the down low and not telling anyone, only to have Danny stumble into accidentally spoiling that development is about the funniest way it could go down.

It's not too late to make that happen... :shifty:
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:55 pm
Danny wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:22 am

He also tried for years to get the community engaged in tracking power rankings and nobody participated.

Say what one will about JC, he had no shortage of good ideas, many of which got at best ignored and at worst actively undercut for the sole reason that they were *his* ideas.
I'd disagree, I think a more pertinent reason a lot of them were disregarded was they way they were presented. Which isn't an uncommon reason people dismiss ideas.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
These do give us a snapshot of the community but we want to know the other end of the spectrum, so let's just ask: What affiliations/factions would surprise you if they were played at an event higher than a regional?
Looking at just this year [Baj] doesn't seem great.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Latok wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:21 pm
Looking at just this year [Baj] doesn't seem great.
I find that real interesting, as I see no reason why [Baj] *shouldn't* still be tier 1. It's not like anything they have suddenly stopped working.

First: Saru Last: Burnham I think @jadziadax[…]

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]