Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
[S]System L-374, Intercept Planet Killer
[AQ] 35
2 Engineer, 2 Geology, and Cunning>34
"We have to stop it."
[Bor] [Fed]
Span 3
60 AP 8

Pro: Con:
  • ...although one wonders why this is limited to the Feds and the Borg (of all affiliations!) - story wise, the Borg make little sense, but so does the lack of other native [AQ] species.
  • Cunning out of reach of Insurrection.
Overall:
  • I like it; it's made me think about missions I've not thought about for a while, which is good. Sometimes vanilla is a great flavour. 7.5/10.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
There’s a pretty long string of Trek Lit (originated by Peter David if I recall) that theorizes that the Planet Killer was an anti-Borg weapon built by an ancient civilization, so I can use that to justify the icon in my own head canon.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
abargar7510 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 am There’s a pretty long string of Trek Lit (originated by Peter David if I recall) that theorizes that the Planet Killer was an anti-Borg weapon built by an ancient civilization, so I can use that to justify the icon in my own head canon.

That's the issue with drawing upon non-canonical sources to justify things - if there's contradictory non-canonical sources, where does one draw the mental line? For example, my personal non-canonical source of choice re: the Borg are their origins comes from David Mack's Destiny trilogy, which puts them as a fairly recent, very local (roots in the AQ) threat... which obviously goes against the Planet Killer being an "anti-Borg weapon built by an ancient civilization" believed to come from a non-Milky Way galaxy.

But each to their own.

Regardless, it's a decent card.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:59 am
abargar7510 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 am There’s a pretty long string of Trek Lit (originated by Peter David if I recall) that theorizes that the Planet Killer was an anti-Borg weapon built by an ancient civilization, so I can use that to justify the icon in my own head canon.

That's the issue with drawing upon non-canonical sources to justify things - if there's contradictory non-canonical sources, where does one draw the mental line? For example, my personal non-canonical source of choice re: the Borg are their origins comes from David Mack's Destiny trilogy, which puts them as a fairly recent, very local (roots in the AQ) threat... which obviously goes against the Planet Killer being an "anti-Borg weapon built by an ancient civilization" believed to come from a non-Milky Way galaxy.

But each to their own.

Regardless, it's a decent card.
Hmm. Maybe I got the ancient part of it wrong but Destiny was consistent with what I was thinking of. Other appearances I can think of were in Greater Than the Sum and Vendetta, which IIRC, were both written by Peter David.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:48 am I thought humans created the Borg with V'ger.

Isn't that a book thing too?
Yeah, in the Destiny novels:
Spoiler:
Humans created the Borg when going back to time with corrupted advanced nanotechnology

But yeah, Danny has an excellent point. If you're going to draw on non-canon stuff to for the basis for cards, you have to do so in a very careful manner that makes the reference without being too dependent on the source material.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:00 am Book stuff aside, I got zero problem with more [Bor] icon missions.

Give people more reasons to run Battle Locutus... :shifty: :borg:
Hear hear!

This mission is quite tempting for a Federation Engineer deck I've been banging around in my head for a few years now. I should give it a go, finally!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Neelix wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:11 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:00 am Book stuff aside, I got zero problem with more [Bor] icon missions.

Give people more reasons to run Battle Locutus... :shifty: :borg:
Hear hear!

This mission is quite tempting for a Federation Engineer deck I've been banging around in my head for a few years now. I should give it a go, finally!
Just watch out for those pesky Coolant Leaks... they can be really annoying to an Engineering team! :wink:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
abargar7510 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:34 pm Also, shout out to this mission for making running Breaking the Ice a little riskier.
Meh, it's not *that* popular of a dilemma. I'm pretty sure hamstringing it wasn't really needed or intended, but it's still a decent curveball, so whatever.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:40 pm
abargar7510 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:34 pm Also, shout out to this mission for making running Breaking the Ice a little riskier.
Meh, it's not *that* popular of a dilemma. I'm pretty sure hamstringing it wasn't really needed or intended, but it's still a decent curveball, so whatever.
I dunno, I see a ton of uses in recent decks on the card page. I know its pretty much been an auto stop for me when I've used or run into it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
abargar7510 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:41 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:40 pm
I dunno, I see a ton of uses in recent decks on the card page. I know its pretty much been an auto stop for me when I've used or run into it.
Interesting. I've seen it here and there but it's not like it's been ubiquitous.

I know when I was playing one of my kids a couple months ago he had 3 Geo in his pile of random Klingons and made me sad. Hard to root for less of a dilemma I can't get to work! :P
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]