Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
I have a serious and important gameplay question about the The Marc Phillips Greater Cardassian Open 2023:

What affiliation do you think is in the best position to win this event that is being held in Valdosta Georgia on February 24th, 25th, and 26th?

What headquarters do you anticipate with take the day at the Wingate by Wyndham meeting room just off I-75 exit 18 in Valdosta Georgia.

If the affiliation you picked is played, what would be the best way to counter that strategy at this weekend filled with 2E Trek and some great fellowship.

Your answer may change based on the format for each individual day:

FRIDAY - a 2E draft event. Pick 1 save 2. We will have starter decks printed and sleeved and they will be chosen at random. What started deck would you choose based on its gameplay strengths? We will then have a box of well assorted dilemmas that will be passed around and you will pick 3, keeping 2 and putting one back. We will continue around till everyone has saved 24 then we play! How good a dilemma pile can you draft? This event will start at 6pm and be limited to the first 10 people who enter. Anyone not in the draft is welcomed to join us for free play and socializing!

SATURDAY - standard 2E tournament, which is a gameplay format where all cards are legal - any affiliation could see play in this tournament, which one will win? This will begin at 9am. Bring your best and let’s sling cardboard!

SATURDAY - HOF 2E tournament, some cards have been retired in Hall of Fame format - how would your answer change for this event? This will begin at 5:30pm and run till 10:00pm or just slightly after. That is the time they would like us to finish with the room in the evenings. Construct your best deck from eligible cards that have not been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

SUNDAY- Cardassian on Cardassian violence! This event will begin at 9am. Construct your best Cardassian deck and let’s get it on! Cardassia Prime must be one of your HQ. This could be a little too much for you non-Cardassians but everyone is welcome to enter and rumor has it a bottle of Kanar is up for grabs! I think it's pretty obvious which affiliation will win this event - but could a dual-HQ deck take the prize here? What affiliation would you pair with Cardassia?

I hope they have piqued your interest! Please make plans to join them and reply to the important gameplay questions! They have secured a good room rate($89 per night+ tax) with this hotel for each night (one might say that there's an affiliation with this hotel). Please email Mike and he will forward you the letter with the link for securing your lodging with them. You are free to stay where you like but the event will be at this hotel. It has breakfast provided and seems to be a very nice place.

Hope to see you in Valdosta, Ga on the last weekend of February!!
Mike Gillespie mistergillespie@yahoo.com 205.542.2121

Affiliation

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
edgeofhearing wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:10 am SUNDAY- Cardassian on Cardassian violence! This event will begin at 9am. Construct your best Cardassian deck and let’s get it on! Cardassia Prime must be one of your HQ. This could be a little too much for you non-Cardassians but everyone is welcome to enter and rumor has it a bottle of Kanar is up for grabs! I think it's pretty obvious which affiliation will win this event - but could a dual-HQ deck take the prize here? What affiliation would you pair with Cardassia?
I just want to make sure that I'm clear on this event. Any deck with Cardassia Prime as an HQ counts? So Subjugated Planet works but not Terok Nor or KCA (even if I also included Secure Homeworld)?
Second Edition Balance Manager
 - Second Edition Balance Manager
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
Yes sir. Must use Cardassia Prime as one of your HQ’s. We did think about [TN] but opted for the true Cardassia Prime. The spirit of the event, of course, is to be [Car] since we are in the Cardassian region. Wanted to see what kind of [Car] people would bring: capture, battle, nu-nu, dissidents, solver, some combo of all or something never before seen! Who will rule Cardassia Prime is what we really want to know! Hope you can make it!! :cheersL:
 -  
Community Contributor
durgforaday wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:58 pm Yes sir. Must use Cardassia Prime as one of your HQ’s. We did think about [TN] but opted for the true Cardassia Prime. The spirit of the event, of course, is to be [Car] since we are in the Cardassian region. Wanted to see what kind of [Car] people would bring: capture, battle, nu-nu, dissidents, solver, some combo of all or something never before seen! Who will rule Cardassia Prime is what we really want to know! Hope you can make it!! :cheersL:
I'd love to see a classic Klingon/Cardassian deck make a comeback. It'll be like it's 2003 again!

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:30 am
durgforaday wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:58 pm Yes sir. Must use Cardassia Prime as one of your HQ’s. We did think about [TN] but opted for the true Cardassia Prime. The spirit of the event, of course, is to be [Car] since we are in the Cardassian region. Wanted to see what kind of [Car] people would bring: capture, battle, nu-nu, dissidents, solver, some combo of all or something never before seen! Who will rule Cardassia Prime is what we really want to know! Hope you can make it!! :cheersL:
I'd love to see a classic Klingon/Cardassian deck make a comeback. It'll be like it's 2003 again!
So, refresh my memory - what was a good Kli/Card deck in 2003? I MIGHT be willing to give it a try, although a 2003 deck might be pretty bad by current standards, LOL!

What was it?
 -  
Community Contributor
Neelix wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 am
So, refresh my memory - what was a good Kli/Card deck in 2003? I MIGHT be willing to give it a try, although a 2003 deck might be pretty bad by current standards, LOL!

What was it?
Well, google searching let me down, but the wayback machine was able to unearth Matt Frid's winning World Championships decklist. Bonus: I've now entered his deck in the deckbuilder.

That mission set-up is just as good today as it was then (if not better with the emphasis on space-first), and the draw deck has some room for growth but is a solid starting place even for modern decks. You'll probably want to just ditch the dilemma pile though, dilemma technology has advanced significantly since then.

Note: I had to take a guess as to which Evek is in that deck, since the list doesn't have subtitles and there were two Eveks already even with just Premiere and Energize. Maybe @bandana8472 or @LORE remembers and can shed some light on that?
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Odds are pretty good it was the set 2 Evek, if only because Frid would not have needed Premiere Evek's Anthro given the Soto triplets. For those who do not know, this event had a Final Confrontation, and having played Hayes earlier in the day Matt knew to hold onto Kahless for the upcoming Common Ground play of Data. Despite drawing Kahless in his opening hand, Matt kept playing everyone but him until Hayes finally dropped it with Data, only for Matt to counter with his own "I.K.S. Pig." A copy or two of We Are Klingon later, and the rest as they say is history.

P.S. I would also bet good money that Frid still has this deck put together back at the Starter Mansion the family resides in these days.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Hmmm, that might be a good option for my next online Return to Farpoint event (#shamelessplug). I was considering Far-Seeing Eyes with anthro drain, since I never built one of those back in the day, but this is also intriguing.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:19 pm
Hmmm, that might be a good option for my next online Return to Farpoint event (#shamelessplug). I was considering Far-Seeing Eyes with anthro drain, since I never built one of those back in the day, but this is also intriguing.
You bring FSE to an online event and I'm bringing a 150 card deck out of pure spite. :wink:

We'll get approximately 3-4 turns each and most likely outcome will be a 0-0 tie (or a 5-0 mod win for you) because you'll spend all the time trying to look through the in-deck tiny card images.

It's not that the deck is bad per se, it's that some decks do NOT translate well to online play. This is definitely one of those.
Second Edition Balance Manager
 - Second Edition Balance Manager
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
Just a quick plug and reminder: THE MARC PHILLIPS GREATER CARDASSSIAN OPEN will begin next Friday evening February 24th at 6 pm est at the Wingate hotel in Valdosta, Georgia!! The Wingate hotel is extending us a nice group room rate but you have to book your room by this Saturday February 18th to get the rate. We would love to have any and everyone that can join us to do so! Shoot me an email:
mistergillespie@yahoo.com and I will forward you the link to secure the better rate. Looking forward to seeing and meeting all those who dare to venture onto Cardassian soil! Mike Gillespie 205.542.2121 :cheersL:
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:50 pm The correct answer is [Car] / [TNG] Dissident Cheeseball nonsense.

Serious question: did Iliana Ghemor come up as a concern during Heroes and Demons playtesting?

Or is this the third round of broken nonsense to come out of that set?
Does this mean you want me to play this?

Michael,
who hasn't made decks yet as per usual

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The Ninja Scot wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:56 pm
Armus wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:50 pm The correct answer is [Car] / [TNG] Dissident Cheeseball nonsense.

Serious question: did Iliana Ghemor come up as a concern during Heroes and Demons playtesting?

Or is this the third round of broken nonsense to come out of that set?
Does this mean you want me to play this?

Michael,
who hasn't made decks yet as per usual
I wouldn't wish that on the Birmingham crowd, so I'm not telling you to play it.

But I think you and I both know I'm right and if you're looking to power game the fun tournament, you could do a lot worse.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation