Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

What is the worst set of the fifties?

The Omega Directive
No votes
0%
All Our Yesterdays
46%
Apocalypse Rising
15%
Move Along Home
No votes
0%
Shore Leave
No votes
0%
Heroes and Demons
8%
Caretaker
8%
Classification: Civilian
8%
The Menagerie
15%
Second Skin
No votes
0%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last week we looked at the best of the fifties. This week, we'll look at the other side, what set from the fifties is the worst? Let us know why below. Did it not tickle your interest? Was the concept good but not the execution? Is it just not something you are interested in? Remember, Revoting is allowed.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Apocalypse Rising gave us not one but TWO degenerate decks and made the game unenjoyable to play for a good number of months.

For all the people shitting on The Process for The Enemy of my Enemy and Casualties of the Occupation breaking the game, first off, that's about all there was, and second, NeuNeuDominion was probably worse. And let's not forget the Admiral Fuckface shenanigans that got empowered by recursive ship download-and-boom.

And call me salty (I know @Latok will), but the worst of this could have been avoided if my feedback had been given any kind of basic consideration. Even I missed Fuckface, but I had a bead on the NeuNeuDominion dangers in the development stage and was ignored.

So I'll take the I Told You So, but I'd rather the mess been avoided to begin with.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Since all of this is based on personal perference, there's really no way to definitively answer the question.

Personally I voted for All Our Yesterdays.
None of the cards in this really excited me to do anything with them. A lot of them are very wordy without effectively doing very much.
Both the Harbinger dilemmas and the Temporal missions, from a conceptual standpoint, to me feel very convoluted.
And I actively dislike the [Pa] [Kli] because it feels like every time I want to play one of them, I have to solve an equation first.

The single card I really do like from this set is Leodis.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:29 pm Since all of this is based on personal perference, there's really no way to definitively answer the question.

Personally I voted for All Our Yesterdays.
None of the cards in this really excited me to do anything with them. A lot of them are very wordy without effectively doing very much.
Both the Harbinger dilemmas and the Temporal missions, from a conceptual standpoint, to me feel very convoluted.
And I actively dislike the [Pa] [Kli] because it feels like every time I want to play one of them, I have to solve an equation first.

The single card I really do like from this set is Leodis.
I largely agree with this take (I just think AR was worse and I could only vote for one).

Gonik has proven to be as ubiquitous as I predicted, showing up in both [Kli] and [KCA] builds in multiples and on the regular. He's at least easy to understand.

I will say that when I've used her, I've actively *liked* Edith Keeler. She's situational, but makes tier 2 decks more competitive, and I'm still exploring ways to use her (Bluegills and Commodities are still on my list of things to build).

And I'm still waiting for somebody to fuck around with 40+ point missions and find out when their opponent drops Shras and disrespects all of their skill dilemmas, but I'm not expecting that to become a regular thing.

Aside from that, yeah.

Temporal Missions :thumbsdown:
Harbinger :thumbsdown:

Aside from a few possible diamonds, AoY was a lot of rough.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I went for Apocalypse Rising. That was right about the time I started to pay attention to 2E again, and for a set about the Dominion War it does a very poor job at encouraging war of any kind.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Apocalypse Rising. I get what they were trying to do with NeuNeuDominion HQ, and NeuDominion HQ was the the original sin, but power growthing the Dominion even more was, uh, not the right way of handling it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:56 pm Apocalypse Rising gave us not one but TWO degenerate decks and made the game unenjoyable to play for a good number of months.

For all the people shitting on The Process for The Enemy of my Enemy and Casualties of the Occupation breaking the game, first off, that's about all there was, and second, NeuNeuDominion was probably worse. And let's not forget the Admiral Fuckface shenanigans that got empowered by recursive ship download-and-boom.

And call me salty (I know @Latok will), but the worst of this could have been avoided if my feedback had been given any kind of basic consideration. Even I missed Fuckface, but I had a bead on the NeuNeuDominion dangers in the development stage and was ignored.

So I'll take the I Told You So, but I'd rather the mess been avoided to begin with.
I don't know set names. Everything i said is true, but it's not Apocalypse Rising, it's Heroes and Demons.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:56 pm For all the people shitting on The Process for The Enemy of my Enemy and Casualties of the Occupation breaking the game, first off, that's about all there was, and second, NeuNeuDominion was probably worse. And let's not forget the Admiral Fuckface shenanigans that got empowered by recursive ship download-and-boom.
That's all there was? TR-116, Keevan... actually broken cards, stuff that enables consistent lockouts and not just solving missions slightly faster.

And at the risk of you changing your mind and unclaiming Sacrifice of Angels for 'The Process', events that let you start as many combats as you want every turn... that was crazy broken.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Latok wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm And at the risk of you changing your mind and unclaiming Sacrifice of Angels for 'The Process', events that let you start as many combats as you want every turn... that was crazy broken.
wait, as someone who came back to the game about a year ago, was this a possibility? Actual meaningful interaction?

Oh, no, wait. Combat in 2E is already figured out before it starts, there's never a surprise, and it's one-sided.

I went thru a journey of excitement, sadness it was no longer here, then realizing it was meh to begin with.

Seriously, for something that is so important to the tv shows, combat in 2E is severely disappointing, and not much better in 1E.

(I am *not* saying that there was a war every episode, but if we actually checked, I would bet the weapons are fired or the ship is fired upon on average at least 1/3 episodes, which means combat should happen at least once per game.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:09 pm
Latok wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm And at the risk of you changing your mind and unclaiming Sacrifice of Angels for 'The Process', events that let you start as many combats as you want every turn... that was crazy broken.
wait, as someone who came back to the game about a year ago, was this a possibility? Actual meaningful interaction?

Oh, no, wait. Combat in 2E is already figured out before it starts, there's never a surprise, and it's one-sided.

I went thru a journey of excitement, sadness it was no longer here, then realizing it was meh to begin with.

Seriously, for something that is so important to the tv shows, combat in 2E is severely disappointing, and not much better in 1E.

(I am *not* saying that there was a war every episode, but if we actually checked, I would bet the weapons are fired or the ship is fired upon on average at least 1/3 episodes, which means combat should happen at least once per game.)
Well, Sacrifice of Angels, the set that people make a hobby of shitting on, did give us Defend it and Hope and Stunning Reversal, both of which are battle counterplay cards that also serve as cycle cards if your opponent isn't trying to pull shenanigans.

The fact is, battle is so rare in 2e that you might go multiple tournaments without seeing it, so as useful as they are for cycling, even these cards don't see a whole lot of play.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation