Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Out of curiosity, does anyone play 2E without a clock running? In casuals, I mean.

If you do, do you play different decks to what you'd play in a timed game?

If you don't, do you think you'd play a different type of deck?

Prior to 2E, my card game of choice was Magic. I neither played it in tournaments nor against a clock, so it was a v. different environment to how I play 2E now.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I never use the clock unless I have the game set up as a tournament in the system.

Partly that's because the game will be interrupted a dozen times in this house.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Tjark and I have a regular playtest game on Fridays. Those games tend to be slower due to reading new cards, so we don't usually run the clock.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've dropped the clock in a few decktesting matches recently. It gives the player the ability to realize they've made a mistake, undo it, go back and change something, and therefore better learn how to play the deck optimally.
Second Edition Balance Manager
 - Second Edition Balance Manager
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
We only use a clock if we are getting ready for a tournament. Like the week before, just to get us in the habit of tournament “speed”. We play lots of 3 player games so no clock there either. Trying to enjoy the game and the company! :cheersL:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
durgforaday wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:27 pm We only use a clock if we are getting ready for a tournament. Like the week before, just to get us in the habit of tournament “speed”. We play lots of 3 player games so no clock there either. Trying to enjoy the game and the company! :cheersL:
Y'all got something with that Birmingham Draft (I'm gonna make that name stick)... next time make it BYOD and see what kind of nonsense shakes out!

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Danny wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 am Out of curiosity, does anyone play 2E without a clock running? In casuals, I mean.
I never play with a clock in casuals. Then again, I play extremely quickly, and rarely think about the clock even in tournaments. Against other such players I'll often try to get an extra game within the time limit. (Against Greg in Atlanta we'll try to get in three games.)

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I rarely play casuals these days. Back in the day when we did that more often, we never had a clock running.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Danny wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 am Out of curiosity, does anyone play 2E without a clock running? In casuals, I mean.
No, never. Why should we? Saying to my friend: "Sorry time is over and now we play LOTR (or again)"? When I play a game, I want to finish it - regardless of a win or loss. That's why we sit at the table.
Danny wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 am If you do, do you play different decks to what you'd play in a timed game?
No
Danny wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 am If you don't, do you think you'd play a different type of deck?
No
Danny wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 am Prior to 2E, my card game of choice was Magic. I neither played it in tournaments nor against a clock, so it was a v. different environment to how I play 2E now.
I hate the clock in tournaments. I mean I have to drive hours to a tournament with 4 players and am not allowed to finish the game...
Or Onlinetournaments where you have to finish your round in one week. No one will have to wait for you if you haven't finished in on hour.
The clock is okay in tournaments with many players where 5 or more rounds have to be played on a single day.
Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]