Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

We've just had a couple sets released for both games. Second Edition got Timeless, a set of Archive Portraits celebrating fifteen years of the committee and First Edition has Nemesis, a set focusing on the four films featuring The Next Generation cast.

In the category of We Can't But Pretend WE Could, suppose we were ale to switch some cards. Specifically, we could take a card from Timeless and exchange it with a card from Nemesis.

For the sake of argument, we will make the cards compatible with each edition. While a direct conversion may not be possible, it will at least resemble the the card in spirit.

Let me work out the specifics (time machine, genie, mad computer skillz, etc.) but which card could you live without from Timeless and what would you want from Nemesis to fill in the gap? Most of all, c=include why you chose those cards.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Out:
• Dukat, Egomaniac

Why: The card fails to tell a story, fails to give any real hint as to what Dukat he is supposed to be (thanks to the article, I know he's from Odo's flashback to the occupation episode), and generally just doesn't do much.

In:
I want to say Activate Thalaron Weapon, because it promotes a lot of what 2E is lacking. Sortytelling, recreating climactic moments, multi-step process, and dramatically affecting the board. HOWEVER, I cannot in good conscience recommend it, because 2E lacks a meaningful way to stop it, because ship combat and destroying the Scimitar would be too hard.

Next up for my In vote:
Solkar representing the Vulcan affiliation, and another hole in 2e. But again, not really fair since you need way more then just him to make an affiliation work.

So third try:
Workhorses of the Fleet.

Something like this to build and expand on the versatility of lesser used ships, so we don't always have the big Enterprise and other stars as the focus.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Out:
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:18 pm • Dukat, Egomaniac

Why: The card fails to tell a story, fails to give any real hint as to what Dukat he is supposed to be (thanks to the article, I know he's from Odo's flashback to the occupation episode), and generally just doesn't do much.

Same reasons. If a card needs a paragraph of accompanying text outside of the game to justify itself, it's a story-telling swing-and-a-miss.

In: Confront Duplicate

Big thematic fan of cards that call out other cards by name.
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:21 pm It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

We've just had a couple sets released for both games. Second Edition got Timeless, a set of Archive Portraits celebrating fifteen years of the committee and First Edition has Nemesis, a set focusing on the four films featuring The Next Generation cast.

In the category of We Can't But Pretend WE Could, suppose we were ale to switch some cards. Specifically, we could take a card from Timeless and exchange it with a card from Nemesis.

For the sake of argument, we will make the cards compatible with each edition. While a direct conversion may not be possible, it will at least resemble the the card in spirit.

Let me work out the specifics (time machine, genie, mad computer skillz, etc.) but which card could you live without from Timeless and what would you want from Nemesis to fill in the gap? Most of all, c=include why you chose those cards.

I would take out nearly evertything in Timeless. How did you guys come up with celebrating a game that's 20 years old with this?

Nememis looks fun. Go 1E CC :thumbsup:

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
If we are just considering what to cut from Timeless, I would agree with Dukat. But if we are talking about a full swap, I'd like to consider the themes of both expansions.

For the move to Nemesis, I would pick Praxis. Nemesis focuses on TNG-movie era Trek, but there are no cards from that era in Timeless. The Undiscovered Country might be the closest parallel, and Praxis could serve as a [Kli] version of Supervise Dilithium Mine to help sell the theme. Praxis could also take advantage of 1E's asymmetrical mission template. The other side could have the [Fed] [Fer] [Rom] requirements from the 2E card, which would allow a later incident that rotates the mission and allows those affiliations to offer their assistance.

For the move from Nemesis to Timeless, I would nominate B-4. Timeless focused on AP style cards, with missions and a few personnel. Confront Duplicate is the only mission and already exists in 2E as Bassen Rift. So we're looking for a personnel, preferably a relatively high-profile one, who can bring something interesting to the game with few skills and little text. B-4 exists, but only as a [NA] android-related personnel. Making a [Rom] Infiltrator version with a short ability would probably be more interesting than anything we could do with any of the other personnel in Nemesis.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I too would swap out Dukat, but not because I dislike him, per se, but rather because he's the card I think I'm least likely to use.

I would swap in the Vulcan Lander (Nemesis), because I now want landed ships in 2E.

Since Discovery is really just The Michael Burnham[…]

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]