Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

To what degree are you wary of Agonizing Encounter in deck construction?

Large - It has a high impact on my mission selection
19%
Medium - It exists and I know of it but while it does have an impact, it is not a major factor
44%
Small - Don't care one way or the other.
38%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

When looking at decks using cards from Timeless, I ran across this deck. All four non-headquarters missions have Exobiology which is great for skill overlap and optimizing Laas, Rejoining the Link, but vulnerable to Agonizing Encounter.

What are your thoughts on that dilemma? On one hand, you could have four (or five!) stops. On the other, that dilemma is costly and can be used a handful of times per game, unless there are shenanigans afoot. Is this the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head or is is something you can brush off.

Let us know in the poll below and give us your thoughts here. Have you ever had four missions with the same skill in this post Agonizing world?
Last edited by Faithful Reader on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Faithful Reader wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:51 am Let us know in the poll below and give us your thoughts here. Have you ever had four missions with the same skill in this post Agonizing world?
All the time. If I see someone playing Agonizing and I get hit with 4 stops, I give them the slow clap and move on.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
It never bothered me at all. The advantages of having a tight skill selection to focus your personnel choice on far outweigh the occasional multi-stop.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
When it was everywhere in the meta I was aware of it, and got pretty good at optimizing for a tight skill set with an AE number of 2. 4 cost for 2 stops is basically par, as there's lots of dilemmas that give you that.

It's never stopped me from playing Vintner/Tain/Kmtar/etc. if that was the deck I wanted to roll with.

Every now and then I'll toss it in a dilemma pile and catch people napping with it for a 3- or 4-stop. That's fun.

And I'll never forget the look on Len Neidorf's face at Masters in Maryland 2014 when he realized I had an AE number of ONE. That was big fun! :D

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I always consider how my deck will deal with Agonizing Encounter, but that risk-reward calculation often comes down on the side of "worth it." Even if all I get out of it is a tighter skill matrix, it's often better to accept the occasional mission failure than to throw your own deck balance askew.

Or to put it another way, if your opponent stops an attempt with Agonizing Encounter, but you were only able to make that attempt because your deck has a tight skill selection that ensures you have what you need early, you've still come out one overcome dilemma ahead.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am I always consider how my deck will deal with Agonizing Encounter, but that risk-reward calculation often comes down on the side of "worth it." Even if all I get out of it is a tighter skill matrix, it's often better to accept the occasional mission failure than to throw your own deck balance askew.

Or to put it another way, if your opponent stops an attempt with Agonizing Encounter, but you were only able to make that attempt because your deck has a tight skill selection that ensures you have what you need early, you've still come out one overcome dilemma ahead.
An interesting corollary discussion would be to ask thoughts about Agonizing itself. If it were made today, would players complain that it doesn't do enough to accomplish its goals, complain that it was bad for the game because it disrupts too many decks, or laud it for finding a nice middle ground that you can play around while it does its job?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:45 amAnd I'll never forget the look on Len Neidorf's face at Masters in Maryland 2014 when he realized I had an AE number of ONE. That was big fun! :D

I've been on the other side of this. Played a game against Will Hoskin where he was running Stooges (each with 4 different skills), an Agonizing number of one, and Alpha 5 Approach (with the intention to solve with the aforementioned Stooges). V. cool.
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]