Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Gotta say... I like what I saw.

WHAT?!?! SYKES IS SAYING SOMETHING *GOOD* ABOUT DEISGN?!?!?!

Yeah, I am.

I've always considered myself tough but fair when judging new cards. 2021 was a not great year for Design, and I'm not sure 2022 was much better (jury is still out), but that's not why I'm making this post. I'm making this post because 2023 appears to be off to a relatively good start.

This set caused me to dust off a deck I had partially built a couple years ago for a tournament with my kids. We finally make it happen last night. I'll spare the details here, but the BLUF for this post is I built a Vintner deck for the first time in about a decade, and added two new Biology missions and 2 copies of Jessel.

I liked what I saw. The missions are clean and tight, and paired well with the mainstay Bio planets of Medical Relief and Plague Planet. All of them being 30 points meant that I had an easy path to a 3-mission solve, but I needed to do some sort of bonus-pointing along the way, which is fine because [TNG] has that in spades, even without the cheeseball points (Guinan, Preposterous, Friendship and Good Will, etc.). In this case I used Daneeka, the Enterprise-E and the Enterprise-D to have multiple paths to get the extra 10 points I need to get over.

And I gotta say, Jessel is actually really solid in that deck. She's a great backup Medical if your opponent takes out Beverly, or Daneeka, or even Shelley, who has a great skill set. At 1 cost she reminds me of when I used to splash Sigmund Freud into decks, but since she's got the [TNG] icon, I can also grab her in a pinch with Vintner.

My deck aside, I was pleased to see other people trying out these cards. I'm not sure if the codes have been cracked yet on which cards from this set are best and/or how best to use them, but that's ok. I'm on the record in a big way railing against how boring LEGO Design is - putting out 18 cards and saying "Here's some cards, figure it out" is MUCH more appealing to me personally.

Also, I haven't encountered anything obviously broken (at least not yet, though there's a couple of cards I'm watching), and I see some real potential for some other cards from this set, but the fact that I saw new cards and was able to incorporate them into an existing deck design to make it better without breaking anything struck me as a net win.

Finally, the cards look great. I know it seems like 2023 started off with a bunch of Art Projects, but that's not a term of disparagement here. Both the Second Skin AIs and the Timeless Cards are really well done image-wise. My compliments to the art team on those efforts. And while I might take a breath before doing another one after such a rapid-succession release, but simple cards with great images that don't break the game is a nice value add on multiple fronts. That's the kind of thing that, when done right, gives people multiple reasons to either pick up the game and try it, or do what I did and dust off an old deck to see at the new cards can do with them. That strikes me as Good For Business.

So yeah, nice job, guys! Good stuff! :cheersL:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:19 pm BLUF
So it appears we work in the same industry...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I agree completely. The new missions have renewed my enthusiasm for deck building, which was sorely needed as I am mostly a Johnny type of player. I am looking forward to continue to experiment with what new and interesting deck types are enabled by this set!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
abargar7510 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:31 pm
Armus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:19 pm BLUF
So it appears we work in the same industry...
Yes, yes you do.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I encountered BLUF from the military, not sure if that is the industry you are speaking of or just another industry that uses it.

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling St[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]