Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Let's talk about one Elim Garak, onetime protégé of his estranged father, former exile current politician working to bring back Cardassia to its former glory.

Looking at the affiliations, most are Cardassian, understandably, and there is one Federation affiliated, again understandable. But he has been known to play in a lot of circles from Romulan to Klingon, even Bajoran.

So this week, pitch me a Garak for a new affiliation. For purposes of this discussion, Non-Aligned does not count. I am not looking for specific gametext just the general gist. Let us know which affiliation would benefit from a plain simple tailor and why.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Personally, I think that's a tough pitch; although Garak's skills and motives might change, his allegiance has pretty much always been [Car] .

This might be a cop out, but I'm going to go with a [Dom] version, although it would be the "illusory" one (so, [AU] ) from The Search (Part II).

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Do I remember reading in A Stitch In Time that Garak was on Romulus for a little while as a gardener? Maybe a [Rom] version from that with Exobiology.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
abargar7510 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:28 am Do I remember reading in A Stitch In Time that Garak was on Romulus for a little while as a gardener? Maybe a [Rom] version from that with Exobiology.

I did think that too, but it was at the Cardassian embassy on Romulus (so still in the employ of the [Car] ).

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Let’s see:

bajoran - left behind, exiled, Garak had to be a tailor with Bajorans running the station If a Fed CIV is still Fed, you can make a case for Garak.

Borg - AU assimilated? No real argument for this one.

Dominion - the hologram from the Search, or Prisioner if we want to continue the McCoy/Archer tradition from 1E.

Ferengi - nothing really here. Maybe when he and Quark were both involved in the Natima Lang affair?

Klingon - KCA Garak could be KLI. (Or we could do the best thing and redo them all as their own affiliation….)

Romulan - If Tain can be romulan because of their Alliance, Garak can be because he was working with them on that mission.
Last edited by boromirofborg on Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:29 amRomulan - If Tain can be romulan because of their Alloance, Garak can be because he was working with them on that mission.

That could work...

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Given that KCA isn’t an affiliation in 2E, Garak should pretty much always be [Car] . Even the [Fed] version arguably should be [Car] [E] rather than [Fed] [DS9] .
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:29 am Romulan - If Tain can be romulan because of their Alloance, Garak can be because he was working with them on that mission.
…Okay, Garak should almost always be [Car] . I could imagine a [Rom] version from this alliance. Though I could also see him being [Car] with text which supports [Rom] cards to support a dual-HQ strategy.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ok, expanding and thinking about this a little more mechanically.

What is an Affiliation in 2E?

To me, for personnel, being part of an affiliation in 2e means a few things. (Mechanically more than flavor.)
  1. Limits what HQ can be reported to
  2. Being able to use a ship. (Must have an unstopped personnel of that affiliation)
  3. Attempting / completing missions
  4. Using Events/Interrupts that reference that Affiliation

So far Garak, a [Rom] version works for me as part of the joint OO/TS task force.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]