Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Forgive me.

I try to be open with these questions. I strive to be at neutral. I go out of my way to ask for the why in addition to the what. This lets us get into a nice, open communication. I thank those who engage us with feedback to make things better.

This week, I'm going to be a little candid.

Sixteen cards from the latest set, Timeless, have found their way into tournament decks. Which is great but a bit of an issue when there are eighteen cards in the set. Isolated Ion Storm, Investigate Klingon Artifact and Dukat, Egomaniac have not made the tournament scene and they have been out in the wild for three months!

I have my theories why they have not made their way into decks, particularly the second, but am wondering if you can let us know the reason these have not been put into your decks.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:37 pm It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Forgive me.

I try to be open with these questions. I strive to be at neutral. I go out of my way to ask for the why in addition to the what. This lets us get into a nice, open communication. I thank those who engage us with feedback to make things better.

This week, I'm going to be a little candid.

Sixteen cards from the latest set, Timeless, have found their way into tournament decks. Which is great but a bit of an issue when there are eighteen cards in the set. Isolated Ion Storm, Investigate Klingon Artifact and Dukat, Egomaniac have not made the tournament scene and they have been out in the wild for three months!

I have my theories why they have not made their way into decks, particularly the second, but am wondering if you can let us know the reason these have not been put into your decks.
Well, let's look at the most obvious deck choices for those two cards: Delta Klingon and KCA Capture.

The mission fits into a Delta Klingon solver easily enough, right alongside Axiana, Secure Colony and Kelsid II, Establish Settlement for an easy 3-mission strength set.

The problem is a) Delta Klingon isn't the best Klingon deck, and b) this configuration might not be the best delta klingon deck.

Personally, when I've played Delta Klingon in the past, it's been with K'mtar and Diplomacy missions and Distant Exploration and Hurried Departure for a 2-mission win. Not to say the strength variant wouldn't work, and the fact that this new mission has Anthro to power the Sword of Kahless is defintely a point in its favor. So bottom line, there's at least one plausible build with this mission as a key piece, it's just a question of who wants to throw it together and run with it?

As for KCA capture... that takes some finesse to do right. KCA solver is super strong and hard to get away from (and usually uses strength missions). I think there's space for KCA capture, and they have some pretty good tools to work with, but it's a bit of a niche deck.

Why KCA and not Cardies? Because even in a Cardie capture deck I'm not sold on this Dukat being the best choice. Maybe in a capture/Tain cunning solver, but that's also pretty niche.

So until somebody cracks the KCA capture code, I'm not sure I'd expect a ton of Dukat to show up. That said, KCA capture might be a sneaky good Hall of Fame play. Since Dirty Cheater Garak is retired, his Elim Garak, First Officer of Terok Nor counterpart would fit quite nicely into that scheme. Could be an interesting deckbuilding challenge.

:twocents:

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I had Dukat in the first draft of my recent KCA deck, but I had to make some cuts and he was one of the first things to go. Didn't really need him.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Isolated Ion Storm is made for fun, not for winning. Equinox can't really do it because of Honor, and Voyager has a wealth of other options. For Klingons, System J-25 is easier and still allows you to play Artifacts. At some point I will run a deck with this card at a local event, but I wouldn't bring it to anything higher level.

Dukat, Egomaniac competes too much with other Dukats. Even if you are leaning heavily into capture, some of the other Dukats can provide abilities more useful than +3 Cunning. As for KCA, I find most of those decks are fairly light on the C part beyond Garak and Nador. At some point I figure he'll show up alongside Cardassian Outskirts, since he has all the skills. But those skills aren't exactly rare, so there's also not a lot of push to include him.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Cmdr Xym wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:35 pm I had Dukat in the first draft of my recent KCA deck, but I had to make some cuts and he was one of the first things to go. Didn't really need him.
You running capture or solver?

If the latter, that makes total sense.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:30 pm
Cmdr Xym wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:35 pm I had Dukat in the first draft of my recent KCA deck, but I had to make some cuts and he was one of the first things to go. Didn't really need him.
You running capture or solver?

If the latter, that makes total sense.
Definitely not a Capture deck. It was...experimental.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I havea hard time considering Dukat for a KCA deck - since he's not KCA. I on't mind blurring the theme with the non-uniques, but I maintain that blurring the identity of KCA as just [AU] was one of the biggest design mistakes that Decipher ever did, but forgivable in the context of "not an affilitiaiton, just toys for the real ones."

But having Dukat in a KCA deck would be like having Seven there. A theme dissonance that is just too much for me.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

I have seen Dukat in a current online tournament. So he'll be showing up shortly.
I will use him as well in my next capturing deck. Cardassians have a Cunning boost issue, so he is sorely needed.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation