Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
I've not a played a ship this turn, I've zero counters left and two personnel at my HQ - this Cochrane and Smiley.

Can I play a (4) cost ship?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Similarly, I've got only three [Dom] personnel (one of whom is Pimoo) and no counters left - can I play a Karemman Fleece by stopping the aforementioned Pimoo?
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Yes.
Rulebook page 8 wrote:Some cards have abilities that enable them to be played at a cost lower
than their printed cost. If this cost reduction is based on information that
you would normally have access to; such as face up cards in play, cards you
command, cards in your hand, cards in a discard pile and cards removed
from the game; then the card may be played without the full cost in counters
available to that player.
(The first question is also yes since Smiley and Cochrane share the same trigger and Smiley's ability is mandatory so it goes first.)

(It would also still work if both abilities were optional, since you could then choose the order that they apply in.)

(But if Smiley were optional and Cochrane were mandatory, you'd be out of luck for a 4 cost ship.)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
But that referenced passage refers to "cards [that] have abilities that enable them to be played at a cost lower than their printed cost".

In the instances above, it's not the card being played that has the ability, but rather "cards already in play" (which links it to the upper part of the grey box:)
Some effects may modify the cost of a card. This allows you to play the card for more or less than its printed cost. This cost modification applies only when a card is being played. Whenever an effect references a card’s cost for a purpose other than modification, only the printed cost should be used.
I guess my question is, when does the game look for cost and its payment?

In the Pimoo/Fleece scenario, I have three [Dom] personnel but zero counters, but to reduce the Fleece's cost to zero, I "lose" one of my three [Dom] personnel.

It's all a matter of timing, and does the timing work out.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:46 am But that referenced passage refers to "cards [that] have abilities that enable them to be played at a cost lower than their printed cost".

In the instances above, it's not the card being played that has the ability, but rather "cards already in play" (which links it to the upper part of the grey box:)
Some effects may modify the cost of a card. This allows you to play the card for more or less than its printed cost. This cost modification applies only when a card is being played. Whenever an effect references a card’s cost for a purpose other than modification, only the printed cost should be used.
I guess my question is, when does the game look for cost and its payment?

In the Pimoo/Fleece scenario, I have three [Dom] personnel but zero counters, but to reduce the Fleece's cost to zero, I "lose" one of my three [Dom] personnel.

It's all a matter of timing, and does the timing work out.
Okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah, that passage does look like it doesn't reference abilities on other cards reducing the cost. I think that's possibly an unintentional oversight, since the "playing a card" section on page 18 is less restrictive in its wording. I'd say, based on step 1 there, you can stop Cochrane with Smiley around to play that four cost ship.

With regards to Pimoo, it looks like "required to play" part is in step 2, and "cost-related response actions" is in step 3, so you should be good to announce you're playing the card, point to your three [Dom] personnel, then stop Pimoo to reduce its cost.

Of course, I'd be interested to hear other takes.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation