Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

The third and final season of Star Trek: Picard is in the books. The viewership numbers are on par with network offerings and there is a renewed interest in seeing what comes next. A swan song for the cast of TNG, it has garnished critical acclaim.

So, continuing on the theme, which is the best Picard in the game. There are seventeen versions of Picard as of this writing; please let us know which one is the absolute best. Which one will be the easiest for you to justify putting in a deck and why.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Snarky answer; the easiest to justify putting in a deck is Galen.

As [NA] , he’s playable in over half the different Headquarters/reporting engines.

(I standby that Decipher made a mistake in not including quadrant icons on personnel, even as unloaded, allowing different HQ to narrow the selection of who can report).

Past that, I’d say probably Genial Captain, as downloading a ship is a good baseline.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I've had the most high level success with Vintner So he gets my vote.

Genial Captain is high on the list too given how many different cheese options he enables.

I've always liked Starship Captain, as he's a total skill beast at a very reasonable cost.

And of course there's the OG, Argo Pilot, savior of countless weenies over two decades and still playable even today.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I'd say my favorite is the often overlooked Battleship Captain.
The ability to download any card has often come in clutch for me.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
All votes so far (bar the one for Galen) and most honorable mentions (bar the Starship Captain) goes to a Picard who downloads...

And mine's no different - few games are won without completing missions, and missions can't be completed with a ship to get you there, so the Genial Captain is my generic [TNG] deck Picard of choice.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I'm rather fond of the Argo Pilot. I'm actually using Unraveled in my current TNG engineering build. His PADD downloads dovetail works nicely with Relic Scotty.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Starship Captain has always been a personal favorite. I started playing right when the Tenth Anniversary promos were being released, so I actually had him before I even had Explorer.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, Genial Captain probably serves as the best generic-use Picard for TNG. He's got good skills and attributes for a 3-cost personnel who can download a ship. And even though he is limited to a specific ship, most TNG decks will be running some version of the ship anyway.

Several other Picards are better than Genial Captain in specific-use cases. Vintner enables a decktype. Battleship Captain and Principled Maverick are great downloaders, if your deck can readily meet their requirements. And of course Defense Council is the obvious choice for Android decks.

The non-TNG Picards are a bit harder to judge, because they generally aren't competing with other Picards in their own decks. I guess the best way to judge them is to consider how likely I would be to use them in a deck of their affiliations. Galen gets top marks in this regard; I wouldn't build a Smuggler or Thief deck without him. "Hero of Maxia" and Bearer of Ill Tidings both suffer from being Integrity-focused personnel in non-Integrity-focused affiliations. Wof's cha'Dich and Compassionate Advocate fall into a middle ground, where they are reasonable to use in Klingon Honor or DS9 Integrity decks, but not automatic picks.

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]