Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
[Fed] 3 •Hawk, Conn Officer
[Stf] [TNG] Human
•Astrometrics •2 Navigation •Officer •Security •Transporters
When the [TNG] ship this personnel is aboard is about to move between your [H] Earth and a non-Region: Sector 001 mission, if all of your non-headquarters missions are in the same region, subtract 2 from the Range required.
"Long-range sensors are still offline."
Integrity 6 Cunning 6 Strength 6
61 V 9

Pro:
  • In the right deck, he's really going to earn his slot: no need for a second ship - just have him at the helm, running to and from the Earth in a single turn.
  • Only works on [TNG] ships, so if he finds himself on an Excelsior he's no extra help (although there are those who might consider this a Con).
  • A 3-cost 6/6/6 with 6 skills and an ability puts Hawk in good company (with the likes of Benjamin Sisko, First Officer, a load of Kiras, and a couple of Rikers...)
Con:
  • ...although a lot of those have [Cmd] compared to Hawk's [Stf], so that's a little ding.
  • Only works on [TNG] ships, so if he finds himself on an Excelsior he's no extra help (although there are those who might consider this a Pro).
  • That's about it, really.
Overall:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Right, because Briar Patch TNG needed the help... :roll:

Classic case of giving a thing a weakness to offset other strengths (good design), then filling in the weakness while leaving all the strengths (bad design). For some reason that's not particularly clear to me, the current regime seems completely unwilling to learn that lesson. The whole thing with the Briar Patch missions was they were relatively easy for the points but had high span so they presented logistical challenges. Now, Hawk sends it completely the other way, turning those 4-span space missions into, of all things, 2-span space missions! Yet another Design lesson not learned. FFS.

I know he looks pretty innocuous, but it's cards like this that lead to broken Voltron decks that people then say "What can you do? There's not one broken card to fix to solve the problem".

I'm not sure if it was Richard @The Guardian, Shea @The Prefect, or Charlie @MidnightLich, but there's enough collective Design experience on that team that somebody should've known better.

This card (or at least, that ability - the rest of the card seems fine) should've been left in the cut file.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Armus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:00 amThe whole thing with the Briar Patch missions was they were relatively easy for the points but had high span so they presented logistical challenges.

Really? I'm not even sure that was a thing, given that the easiest mission (Sector 441), upon completion, reduced the span of the other missions by 1 AND both of the high span missions could be reduced if you needed to make a Hurried Departure.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:09 am
Armus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:00 amThe whole thing with the Briar Patch missions was they were relatively easy for the points but had high span so they presented logistical challenges.

Really? I'm not even sure that was a thing, given that the easiest mission (Sector 441), upon completion, reduced the span of the other missions by 1 AND both of the high span missions could be reduced if you needed to make a Hurried Departure.
The former is a mid game benefit - you have to solve the mission first, which means you have to get to the mission first - while the latter is much more blow-uppable (and if you haven't learned the lesson of "always take out Hurried Departure," then one day you will).

Hawk is both of those things made more resilient AND shifted from mid game to early game, which means the weakness, however fleeting, is now not only gone, but flipped to a strength!

You may be right about one thing though: I've been assuming that there was some intent put into balancing the aspects of the Briar Patch Region missions so they were good but not broken. However, given how much broken shit came out of Heroes and Demons, maybe there WAS NO intent to balance anything, in which case Hawk would fit right in.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation