Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I hope this is in the right place--my apologies if it's not.

I played the STCCG for about ten years, stopping just after Voyager when I moved away from my play group. I stumbled on this site and was surprised (and pleased!) to see that there's still a community around this game.

I'd like to give 2E a try; it looks like it fixes a lot of the complaints I had about 1E when I stopped playing. However, while I had some idea what should go in a 1E deck I can't even begin to think what a proper 2E deck looks like. Are there general deckbuilding rules (beyond the minimum requirements and such) that "everyone knows?" Skills one should always have in a certain amount, a certain ratio of ships to total cards, that sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

By shagg08 (Michael O'Shogay)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Goret'Utan wrote:I hope this is in the right place--my apologies if it's not.

I played the STCCG for about ten years, stopping just after Voyager when I moved away from my play group. I stumbled on this site and was surprised (and pleased!) to see that there's still a community around this game.

I'd like to give 2E a try; it looks like it fixes a lot of the complaints I had about 1E when I stopped playing. However, while I had some idea what should go in a 1E deck I can't even begin to think what a proper 2E deck looks like. Are there general deckbuilding rules (beyond the minimum requirements and such) that "everyone knows?" Skills one should always have in a certain amount, a certain ratio of ships to total cards, that sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
With Continentals and Worlds right around the corner you might not get too big a response. Generally with ships I try to put at least 1 in for every 8 cards in the deck. As for skills everyone kind of does them differently. PM me If you want and I'll explain to you how I ratio mine together. I would check out some Top Decks in the decklists to see some of the stronger decks. I'm sure there is plenty of people here that will help you as well.

By Ajnaran
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Your best bet is to check out some deck lists and see what they look like. I agree a 1-8 ratio is about right, but a personnel with an ability to download a ship would change it of course.

Skills are a different animal entirely. You'll see a lot of variance from deck to deck. The ability of some cards to allow you to gain skills can come in handy. The most important thing is to have a solid base of skills in your deck to cover your mission requirements. Worry about dilemmas later.

Good luck!

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Here's a link to the 2E Beginner's Series - it has helpful hints for many aspects of deckbuilding.

https://www.trekcc.org/articles/index.php?cat=14

Also, one of the important things I've found is in regards to having enough skills to cover all your missions that require it. If you have one mission that requires a skill, I would have at least five personnel that have the same skill; and at least one additional personnel for each additional mission. For example - I have three missions that require Diplomacy, I will have a minimum of seven personnel in the deck with Diplomacy (and will include more if possible).

Hope this helps!
--Amber
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
I have a question: what is a good ratio of Command to Staff stars for one's personnel (assuming one is not playing Borg where the point is moot)?

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
I go a little leaner on the ships to cards thing, around 1 in 10. I try to keep my decks high 40-low 50s. Some staples i think should be in most decks;

Unexpected Difficulties x3
Delirium x2
Slinky Dukat-Puppet Master x1

Unexpected I think is due to be a cut out July 1(though I'm happy to stand corrected), delirium and Dukat (the unaffiliated Dukat) are cut outs now.

I also believe you should try to hit a easy space mission first,then do 2 planets for a 30-35-35 points plan. Roughly, I try to have at least 6 of any skill I need for a mission in my deck. Most affiliations have "cheater" cards in their culture (cards that let you get around dilemmas), I'd recommend using 3 of them as well.

On dilemmas, I also believe there are a few staples.

Hard Time x3 (cut out)
Show time x 1-2 (cut out)
Breaking the ice x 1 (cut out)
We'll Never Know x1 (cut out)
Personal Duty x 2 (cut out)
Guess whose coming to dinner x 2 (cut out)
Occupational Hazards x 1 (cut out)

AFter that, Gomtuu Shock Wave for space, and Rogue Borg AMbush for planet, are also pretty damn hard to pass, Old Differences stops 2 random guys for cheap, and Centre of Attention is also a hard to get past wall.

I hope this helps give you a base. 2nd Edition is a great game

Good luck and enjoy

Honest

By Taurnil
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Second Runner-Up 2011
My little guide for making a deck:

-3x all skills except Acquisition, Law, Intelligence, Telepathy (if you have them, even better)

-5x mission skills

-extra diplomacy for gomtuu

-so few honor/treachery as possible (an issue of trust)

-high integrity for gomtuu and excalbian drama

-way to create a skill (mainly intelligence for rogue borgs)

-ship able to pass outclassed

hope this helps

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Triumph wrote:I have a question: what is a good ratio of Command to Staff stars for one's personnel (assuming one is not playing Borg where the point is moot)?
Depends on the ship like the Starfleet affiliation ships all require just one command star, I would include 8-10 personnel with command icons. But using ships that require 2 or 3 command stars I would put no less than 12 personnel with command icons in fear of being destaffed.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
If you take a look at the top decks most of them make sure to include at least one way to:

Destroy an Event(Grav-Plating Trap, The Crystalline Entity, etc...)
Manipulate dilemmas you are giving(Uninvited, The Manheim Effect, etc...)
Manipulate dilemmas you are receiving either through skill gaining or stop prevention(Shady Resources, The Central Command, etc...)
Ways to prevent dilemma kills(Emergency Transport Unit, Escape, etc...)
Ways to prevent interrupts(Grav-Plating Trap, Mila, Trusted Confidante, etc...)

I'm not saying in order to be successful you need to have all of these because some affilitions have better access to this than other ones. I'm just saying most of the Tier 1 decks can check off just about all of these.

By PK of VA
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
As popular as kill piles are I always pack more personnel than i think i should, and multiple copies of important personnel. I rarely use less than 30 personnel. I wouldn't use less unless I had a lot of ways to prevent kills and captures.

Also, one card not mentioned yet that I would put in pretty much every deck, A Few Minor Difficulties, will save you a lot of headaches against a lot of opponents, takes care of phoenix, borg queen's cube, ning'tao/promethues, and most importantly imo, maquis uss defiant.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]