Place to discuss Tribbles CCG
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Can you play a 1 Go and then a 100.000 Dabo if player in front of you played at least 2 tribbles like (10.000 Go + any 100.000)?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I think no. Dabo references a previous player on the previous turn. When you play 1 Go and take another turn, you've now separated the previous player from the previous turn (now yours) so you can't play Dabo out of sequence.

You could play 10k Go into 100k Dabo but that works numerically, not because of Dabo.

.... DAMMIT Charlie. This is a 1e level Rules answer for a freaking Tribbles game. These shouldn't exist. This game shouldn't be that complicated. :evil:
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
eberlems wrote:Can you play a 1 Go and then a 100.000 Dabo if player in front of you played at least 2 tribbles like (10.000 Go + any 100.000)?
I want to say that shouldn't work, but there is nothing on the rules or the card that says it doesn't.

I would say the previous turn is still the previous turn until you end your turn. If go gave another turn (as Armus suggests), then Dabo would never work because each play would be its own turn.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote:
eberlems wrote:Can you play a 1 Go and then a 100.000 Dabo if player in front of you played at least 2 tribbles like (10.000 Go + any 100.000)?
I want to say that shouldn't work, but there is nothing on the rules or the card that says it doesn't.

I would say the previous turn is still the previous turn until you end your turn. If go gave another turn (as Armus suggests), then Dabo would never work because each play would be its own turn.
That's exactly what Go says:

See my previous comment on 1e-level complexity. We don't even have a common definition of Turn... FFS.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Touche. I didn't read Go.

If playing another tribble is a turn, then Dabo doesn't work period.

Basically, either Dabo or Go is wrong.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
pfti wrote:Touche. I didn't read Go.

If playing another tribble is a turn, then Dabo doesn't work period.

Basically, either Dabo or Go is wrong.
Or, Dabo only works with dual power Tribbles like Recycle & Reverse? :shifty:
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
eberlems wrote:So, Dabo is just possible after dual Powers and after Sabotage and Stampede?
Not even sure with stampede. That basically just gives everyone a carefully defined turn. It may only be the dual power cards, copy and Sabotage.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
To use Dabo's power, you have to play it first thing on your turn. The player immediately before you had to play and use 2 or more powers to do so.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote:
eberlems wrote:So, Dabo is just possible after dual Powers and after Sabotage and Stampede?
Not even sure with stampede. That basically just gives everyone a carefully defined turn. It may only be the dual power cards, copy and Sabotage.
I don't disagree with the logic of this assessment, but can anyone really tell me with a straight face that this was design intent when Dabo was created?

1 Go --> 10 Whatever? That's not a problem at all!

100 Recycle&Reverse? OMG THAT'S BROKEN! FIX IT NOW!

I'm sure that's how that design meeting went.... :wink:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:To use Dabo's power, you have to play it first thing on your turn. The player immediately before you had to play and use 2 or more powers to do so.

-crp
Got it Charlie. That's how it works.

That doesn't change the fact that Turn is defined differently on different cards in a game that was supposed to be basically a more fun and interesting version of Uno...
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Armus wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:To use Dabo's power, you have to play it first thing on your turn. The player immediately before you had to play and use 2 or more powers to do so.

-crp

That doesn't change the fact that Turn is defined differently on different cards in a game that was supposed to be basically a more fun and interesting version of Uno...
The easy fix is errat go and/or define turn. I agree dabo should work like you describe, but the only rules text that defines a turn is go.

I would play it as you describe and tell someone who is making my argument that they are being an annoying pedant, but technically Dabo doesnt work with the cards and rules as writen
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote:

-crp

Yeah, sorry. We've been building on a game made by Decipher that was spun out of another game made by Decipher known for being one of the most complex games ever. Obviously there's been a lot of growing pains.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
Armus wrote:

-crp

Yeah, sorry. We've been building on a game made by Decipher that was spun out of another game made by Decipher known for being one of the most complex games ever. Obviously there's been a lot of growing pains.

-crp
I'm not accepting that in this case.

First off, that's passing the buck. Don't do that. Especially not in this case, especially not at Decipher.

My kids were playing Tribbles out of the box at 6 and 4 no problem. The Decipher Tribbles game isn't that complicated.

There's a reference card that tells you what all the powers in your deck do, and the rules fit on one sheet of paper.

I can boil down all the symptoms of why Tribbles fell off to one root cause: lack of Leadership and Vision.

I think it existed at one point, as the first couple of sets definitely improved the game. As I said before, the following powers were great additions:

Safety
Recycle
Toxin
Antidote
Freeze

You'll notice all of those came from either More Tribbles More Troubles or No Tribble at All. Trials and Tribble-ations was an ok set too but everything started going off the rails after that.

Over in the other thread Johnny suggested a hard reset to the Decipher era. I tried to talk him down a bit but his instinct isn't wrong. However, the fact that he thinks that Decipher era Tribbles is an acceptable reset point tells me that your above argument is wrong.

Tribbles can be fixed, and it can be fun. And as a dad of two kids who love playing it, I'm all for getting it back on track. But that only works if the problems, and more importantly, the REASONS for the problems, are properly identified and mitigated. Absent that, I'm not sure how things get better.

You said you wanted to bring Tribbles under your purview as 1e Director. Fine. That means you're taking direct ownership of the future of the game. That's why blaming others is unacceptable. You want the ball? You got the ball (or in this case, the Tribble). Show some leadership.

I sincerely hope you consider what I've said. It may sound tough, but it's tough love. If I didn't care I wouldn't bother.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]