Place to discuss Tribbles CCG

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'd say both mean the same thing and are equally proper, like flammable and inflammable.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Boffo97 wrote:I'd say both mean the same thing and are equally proper, like flammable and inflammable.
I am continually confused by inflammable meaning flammable. I mean, the prefix in- usually means "not," ammite?

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Which term should be used for a new power? Decloak? Or Uncloak? Which one is correct in-universe?

-crp
Exhibitionise :P

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:I'd say both mean the same thing and are equally proper, like flammable and inflammable.
Beg to differ. I'd think "uncloak[ed]" is more akin to an aspect, or state, of a ship; I'd say it's not often -- if at all -- used as a verb.
"Decloaking" to me sounds right as the verb for the action of making a ship "uncloaked". A ship without a cloaking device is by definition uncloaked, but cannot (be) decloak(ed), because for that, it first has to be able to be cloaked. Or that's how I feel it. (And yes, I'm a part-time language nerd.)

I'd wager that this strong feeling -- which is roughly mirrored, I believe, in the above comments? -- stems from the number of used instances (which has also been dug up! :lol: :thumbsup: ) for these functions. There will prolly be some cross-talk, due to the fuzziness of the matter... but I'd say, if you want the verb, go for decloak.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:
I am continually confused by inflammable meaning flammable. I mean, the prefix in- usually means "not," ammite?
It does, but near as I can tell the Latin changed from Olde English "into" (inflame = "into" flame), to "not" in the mid 16th century.

So, like 1E, some things get grandfathered in the Glossary - I mean dictionary. :D

-  
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:40 pm "Decloaking" to me sounds right as the verb for the action of making a ship "uncloaked". A ship without a cloaking device is by definition uncloaked, but cannot (be) decloak(ed), because for that, it first has to be able to be cloaked. Or that's how I feel it. (And yes, I'm a part-time language nerd.)

I'd wager that this strong feeling -- which is roughly mirrored, I believe, in the above comments? -- stems from the number of used instances (which has also been dug up! :lol: :thumbsup: ) for these functions. There will prolly be some cross-talk, due to the fuzziness of the matter... but I'd say, if you want the verb, go for decloak.
+1
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation