For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
REGIONALS!

The Space Coast (Florida) Regional Championships go online this year with a new twist on a Second Edition format: an Infinite Diversity Winston Draft.

This is a LIVE online event, with the draft and all tournament rounds taking place on the same day - Saturday, October 17th, with the draft beginning at 11 am Eastern.

As this is an online event, Skype and Lackey are required to play.

What's a Winston Draft?

You may be wondering what a Winston Draft is. It's an alternate draft format that's often played in Magic: the Gathering, in which all players draft from the same group of cards rather than passing around individual packs. Google it for a better idea. Here's roughly how it'll play out for the Infinite Diversity experience (with paraphrasing from MTG Wiki):

First, each player will receive the 21-card Infinite Diversity set as well as four headquarters. Then, each player will receive a nine-card mission pack with nine random missions that will not be drafted.

Next, a pre-generated cardpool with 54 random cards for each drafter (216 in a four-player pod) will be placed as a stack called the main stack. The top three cards of this stack are placed separately on the table face down to form three one-card piles.

One player is randomly chosen to be the starting player, and players take turns. On a player's turn, they look at all of the cards in the first pile, and they may take the pile. If they do, they add all of the cards in the pile to their draft collection and place the top card of the main stack (without looking at it) to form the new first card in the pile. If they don't, they add the top card of the main stack to the pile (again without looking at it), and move on to the second pile and repeat this process. If they do not take the second pile, they move on to the third pile and repeat the process again. If the player does not take the third pile, they must take the top card of the main stack. Players take turns in this process until all cards have been drafted. Players then use the cards they've drafted as their cardpool to assemble their deck.

If more than four players register for this event, there may be multiple draft pods.

I'm going to try to make the actual draft possible in Lackey, but it's more likely the stack itself will be on my physical desktop with a camera pointed at it. Either way, it's likely all cards will end up being drafted face-up, so players will know what cards other players drafted.

Infinite Diversity Gameplay Rules

As a refresher, here are the rules for Infinite Diversity games:

Deck Limits
Deck Size: Minimum 25 Maximum NONE
Dilemma Pile: Minimum 10 Maximum NONE
Missions: Exactly 5

The “rule of three” is suspended while players are constructing their draft decks. This means you can include as many copies of any card you draft!

No Quadrants
All quadrant rules are suspended; every mission is considered to be in every quadrant. (You do not need to add 2 to the Range required to move between missions.)

Reinforcement
If you have a headquarters mission, you may play any personnel and/or ships that couldn’t normally report to that headquarters at cost +1.

First Turn Download
During the Play and Draw Cards segment of your first turn (and only your first turn), you may spend 3 counters to download a ship.

Discard Pile Recycling
The first time each game your deck is empty, you may immediately shuffle your discard pile into a new deck.

Victory Conditions
A player wins the game when he or she has:
scored 70 points (or more);
completed at least one planet mission; and
completed at least one space mission.

I'm not from Cardassia Region. Can I play?

Anyone can play!

Prizes?

Of course there are prizes! This is a Regional after all. I'll have Regional foils and buttons on hand for up to eight players, as well as additional tournament foils and packs to give away after the event. (In the unlikely event of more than eight registered players, priority will go to players that live in the Cardassia Region.)

Entry Fee?

As this is an online event, I am waiving my usual entry fee for Regional Championships. However, as ordering tournament kits plus shipping prizes is a bit pricey, donations are encouraged (but not required) to help offset the cost. You can donate to doggah@gmail.com on PayPal.

Finally...

If you plan on playing, please be pre-registered at least 24 hours before the start of the event so I have enough time to generate and prepare the cardpools.

More notes included here as I think of them.

Any questions, please ask.
Last edited by OKCoyote on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Live draft means I'm in. I haven't committed to too many tournaments in October, so I will try to make the one-day event work.

@OKCoyote would you like to use the CC's Zoom account for this? We can love stream the draft.
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 am Live draft means I'm in. I haven't committed to too many tournaments in October, so I will try to make the one-day event work.

@OKCoyote would you like to use the CC's Zoom account for this? We can love stream the draft.
That would actually be very helpful, thanks.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I don't know what a love stream is, BTW. But I know I would LOVE to STREAM the draft. :lol:

The Zoom Meeting is now set up.

Continuing Committee is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: 2020 Cardassia Regional Winston Draft
Time: Oct 17, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81987808046?p ... dNL3U4UT09

Meeting ID: 819 8780 8046
Passcode: IDIC
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,81987808046#,,,,,,0#,,169510# US (Chicago)
+13017158592,,81987808046#,,,,,,0#,,169510# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 819 8780 8046
Passcode: 169510
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdo9SImGRG
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 -  
Most likely what will happen is:

I'll print out the stack physically and have it at my desktop with my camera pointed at it. Cards will get revealed as they are drafted. Players can feel free to record their picks as they make them, but I'll also keep each player's piles separate and send a list of what they drafted after the actual draft. Once that's done, I'll allow for some deckbuilding time.
 -  
There's still plenty of time, but I'm bumping this because I'm excited about actually being able to participate in a draft, and I'm hoping others will join up.

I should have more info about prize support soon, just got to check what I've got on me. I definitely still have some What You Leave Behind packs laying around, and might have a few other surprises...

I may make a "How to Winston Draft" video sometime before the event, if I can manage the free time and preparation.
 -  
I made a video explaining the rules for the Winston Draft and uploaded it to YouTube. Yes, I know my camera's not the greatest.

Check it out here.
 -  
We're down to a week before our live event on 10/17.

Right now I know of four attending players - myself, Maggie, and two locals (Avery and Robert, who never pre-register but are likely attending). I currently have enough draft packs cut and sleeved for four players.

Just a reminder - if you're likely to play on Saturday (besides the four players I just mentioned) PLEASE pre-register so I know if I'll need to prepare more cards, and how many. I'm requiring at least 24 hours notice, but would appreciate a heads-up as early as possible. Thanks!
 -  
One of my previously committed players may have become unavailable, so I'm hoping we can at least get one more to join up.
 -  
Gorgo Primus wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:16 am Well that works out. I just got the day freed up for this. I'll be there.
Excellent! Looking forward to it!
 -  
Uh... @pfti did you really schedule another 2E Regional live online, on the same day as mine, after I had checked to make sure there wasn't a competing event when I set mine up?
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
OKCoyote wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm Uh... @pfti did you really schedule another 2E Regional live online, on the same day as mine, after I had checked to make sure there wasn't a competing event when I set mine up?
Wasnt a regional. Just a regular thing. getting back to weekly games, but I bumped it a week back
 -  
pfti wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:27 pm
OKCoyote wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm Uh... @pfti did you really schedule another 2E Regional live online, on the same day as mine, after I had checked to make sure there wasn't a competing event when I set mine up?
Wasnt a regional. Just a regular thing. getting back to weekly games, but I bumped it a week back
Ah ok. Thanks. Only noticed it when I logged into Averys account to register her. I wouldn't have scheduled mine if there had been something already there.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]