It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.

By Macksimus
 -  
Hi all,

I took all the info you all have been so gracious to give and have ran with it. With my looking researching and getting caught up to speed, have been researching cards and deck builds and I am just curious, should I even bother using my old 1E cards from way back in the day?
Many of them have newer versions that I could print out and use as well as supplemental cards added through the virtual decks on the website. Aside from me wanting to just complete my collection for collecting purposes, should I just grab a bunch of common cards and invest in some decent printer paper and build a deck that way?

Macksimus
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Macksimus wrote:Hi all,

I took all the info you all have been so gracious to give and have ran with it. With my looking researching and getting caught up to speed, have been researching cards and deck builds and I am just curious, should I even bother using my old 1E cards from way back in the day?
Many of them have newer versions that I could print out and use as well as supplemental cards added through the virtual decks on the website. Aside from me wanting to just complete my collection for collecting purposes, should I just grab a bunch of common cards and invest in some decent printer paper and build a deck that way?

Macksimus
This is the cheapest and easiest way to play (aside from playing online), so yeah!

All cards - including Decipher's cards - were made legally printable a few years ago because we didn't want the growing scarcity of the cards to become a barrier for new or returning players.

With that said, if you're building, and you happen to have some of the cards you need, go ahead and use them.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
OKCoyote wrote: This is the cheapest and easiest way to play (aside from playing online), so yeah!

All cards - including Decipher's cards - were made legally printable a few years ago because we didn't want the growing scarcity of the cards to become a barrier for new or returning players.

With that said, if you're building, and you happen to have some of the cards you need, go ahead and use them.
However, with so many cards having errata, it's probably safer just to use the printed cards to be sure you have all the latest and greatest versions out there. If you are building a deck with the trekcc deckbuilder and printing it out anyway, why not?

By Macksimus
 -  
Understood, I'll just get some nice paper and print out the cards I want to use for decks and use some old common cards for backers in my sleeves. I'll keep my collection cards for just that. Thanks again guys :cheersL:

Macksimus

-  
Does anyone ever print them doublesided with the standard artwork on the back? I was looking around the webiste for the printable card back images but I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be nice to have them look as authentic as possible. Is that artwork somewhere that I'm not seeing?

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
EnsignRickyTO wrote:Does anyone ever print them doublesided with the standard artwork on the back? I was looking around the webiste for the printable card back images but I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be nice to have them look as authentic as possible. Is that artwork somewhere that I'm not seeing?
Wow, there's a name I haven't seen in a while. Hey Greg, long time no see! Welcome back to the fold! :)

No, in general most people don't print the backs. Because officially we only support printing the cards on slips of paper (not cardstock), so they would never look that authentic anyway (and you'd have to worry about colour bleeding and stuff). What a lot of people do instead is print out the front (on lightweight paper) and then just glue it onto an old common card that they have a thousand of. And if you glue it well, and use a black marker to darken the edges of paper, you can actually get a really nice look that's almost indistinguishable from a real thing, especially once it's sleeved. Then it has the exact same weight and feel as a real card, and you know that the backing will look just like a real card... because it actually is a real card (for the most part, at least). ;-)
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Of course, those of us that are a little less ambitious just put the paper card in the sleeve with the backer since it's so much faster. Also, we can simply remove the paper and re-use the backer if we want for a different deck. Plus, if a card gets errated, then you haven't wasted anything - just print an updated copy of the card and you're good to go.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
EnsignRickyTO wrote:Does anyone ever print them doublesided with the standard artwork on the back? I was looking around the webiste for the printable card back images but I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be nice to have them look as authentic as possible. Is that artwork somewhere that I'm not seeing?
If you go to the Virtual Promos set, then open the Introductory Promo Sheep (VP 1-7), you'll find two high-res card backs at the end of that file.

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/PromoCards/In ... oSheet.pdf

Handy, but not easy to find!

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Where can I get Promo Sheep?!

But to stay on track... we print (either at a Fedex-type store, or library, as I somehow can't keep a printer alive) and then slide the cards over backing cards (yay commons!). I used to glue some cards onto backers, ones that I knew I'd use a lot; however, that became a bit tiresome and I ran out of patience with the glue.

Whatever works for you, as long as you enjoy the cards! :)

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]