It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey gang,

So a few months ago, before I got sick, I contacted all the players in my region about starting a playgroup. A couple of people have responded.

Now that I'm back in the saddle, just looking for some ideas, suggestions, recommendations by experienced organizers out there. On anything really.

I'm leaving it purposefully open ended as I've never done this before. But ideas on

Choosing a location
Getting an event sanctioned
Arranging prize support

Etc etc. Anything that can help :)

Thanks a bunch.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
Se7enofMine wrote:Hey gang,

So a few months ago, before I got sick, I contacted all the players in my region about starting a playgroup. A couple of people have responded.

Now that I'm back in the saddle, just looking for some ideas, suggestions, recommendations by experienced organizers out there. On anything really.

I'm leaving it purposefully open ended as I've never done this before. But ideas on

Choosing a location
Getting an event sanctioned
Arranging prize support

Etc etc. Anything that can help :)

Thanks a bunch.
I would suggest a sealed event first. Easiest way to do that in 1E is OTSD (with a extra pack or two); in 2E you can still get a Second Edition combo box for a reasonable price.

Find a location that is central to most people with food options nearby.

What our TD in Orlando does is collect money for the tournament for prize support (we pay extra for sealed events). You might have to supply prize support for the first event - but you can buy TD prize support after running one event.

Other items than can be good for prizes are sleeves, booster packs and card mats.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
I’d recommend getting them back into playing with Online Play to wet their appetite while at the same time, throwing something on the schedule.

TK

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I certainly don't mind putting up a few bucks for prizes. That's a non issue if it will get people out and playing. I like the idea of sleeves and mats.

Choosing a location will be a logistical challenge. The area I'm in covers a 2.5 hour radius. I suspect I would have a location in each city (ottawa, montreal, Kingston) and rotate for each locarion.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Houses are not a bad venue. I mean, there are much better venues, too, but any place with enough room for a few card tables is good if there's good snacks and beverages available.

SOURCE: have only ever hosted events at my house / apartment building, good times.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Playing in a Magic the Gathering shop could be interesting. As rent you buy sleeves, play mats or even just store credit which you use as prize support for your tournament. Of course provided the shop has tournament space for MtG.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Playing in a Magic the Gathering shop could be interesting. As rent you buy sleeves, play mats or even just store credit which you use as prize support for your tournament. Of course provided the shop has tournament space for MtG.
The good thing about playing at such a venue is you can occasionally show a MTG player the game. If they like it, tell them its free cards, and we have a strong OP program and ratings system

All those things, plus a cool play group and a good game, help build things

Good luck!

KO

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey gang,

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to get in touch with the potential group and see what we can come up with :)
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !