It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Greetings Frozen Chosen-

Just trying to gauge interest / feedback from you all on when you would like to host the Regional as we come out from under the #StayHomeMN order next week. What does everyone's calendar look like in June, July, and August for 'trek events?

Also, can you let me know your thoughts on hosting a Central Time Zone centric 1-day online event for either 1E, 2E or Tribbles, if there is interest? We never finished up our winter season league, and I know by now everyone's missing that local camaraderie. I know I am!

Let's hear it, folks!
Last edited by LORE on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Commander Joe (Joe Kallstrom)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I currently don't have anything on my calendar past May but I'm expecting that to start filling in soon. I'll be out of town Memorial weekend and as of now, Saturday's are typically better than Sunday's for me. I would participate in a CST online event of 1e depending on the date.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Everything's kind of the same for me. Sundays are slightly better than Saturdays. Best nights for evening tribbles would be Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since I'm still coming into contact with lots of people at work, I may be reluctant to come to an in-person event.

Speaking of Sundays, I'm free this Sunday for a game. It could be OTF, or Playtesting for my cube or for upcoming sets.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
Yeah, by all means, guys use this thread to coordinate amongst yourself. All I want to see is y'all keep on playing!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Greetings, Mr. McMahon!

What a nightmare this all must be for our devoted local OP organizer. Unconnected thoughts:

* I have strong doubts that our stay-at-home order will end in May as scheduled. Minnesota's case counts are bizarrely high and our test positivity rate is pretty bad. I guess we'll find out tonight when Walz gives his talk.

* When it ends, I'll be keeping a really close eye on statewide conditions, and will make decisions about in-person events based on the facts at the time. Once stay-at-home ends, a lot of people are going to get sick; the state knows and accepts this this. I'm determined that my parents (who I normally see a lot of) do not catch it, certainly not from me.

* I can't imagine I will be willing to set foot in the FFG game center in the next few months, even once stay-at-home legally ends. Games in people's basements might be doable, because of the smaller number of exposures, but we'll just have to see how Minnesota's epidemic evolves.

* Once we can play in person again, my schedule is basically unchanged. Most weekends work for me. Most nights work for me. Saturdays and Sundays I am busy from ~5-9 PM. June is iffy because my family has a TON of June birthdays on both sides, but that's true every year.

* Until we can play in person again, my schedule is (ironically?) much more restricted than usual. My wife is handling a lot of being trapped in the house with the kids / managing "distance learning" while I work full-time in my home office, and weekends are her only time off now. This means I am basically only able to play at nights or during the kids' nap times (a two-hour block that starts some time after 1 PM and before 4 PM).

* So if we do a 1-day online event during the day, I can probably play 1 game. And I will!

* But I've been playing mostly night games for the past month. I've been thinking about doing another 1-day online Friday Night Folly event during the pandemic -- the late-Friday scheduling perfect for me -- but the TNG playtest sorta messed up my plans. Would there be any interest around here in a Friday night tournament in some unspecified weird format? I could start it as early as 8:30 PM, since I know they've gone a bit too late in the past.

* Jason, what times are you available on Sunday? You know I've wanted to play your Cube for ages.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
I would totally play Jason's Warp Speed Cube Format on a Friday night. How we do the cardpools... idk, but that would be rad if we could figure it out.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:I would totally play Jason's Warp Speed Cube Format on a Friday night. How we do the cardpools... idk, but that would be rad if we could figure it out.
Do we have to draft within the cube? I'm sure we can figure it out (ALL OF IT), but want to start thinking through timing.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Watch out Money Inc.

The Munich World Order has deployed their Jager fuelled sexecutioner to openly challenge your Minnesota Minions.

Joe, you may have survived the Borg Cube Brawl via countout, but can you face me again with no countouts and no disqualifications?

After cashing Kris out at the Spring Stampede, this topless wonder of Terror is ready to thaw out the Frozen Chosen.

1E, one day event. Just name your day (as long as it's a Saturday or Sunday)
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
BCSWowbagger wrote:Greetings, Mr. McMahon!

What a nightmare this all must be for our devoted local OP organizer. Unconnected thoughts:

* I have strong doubts that our stay-at-home order will end in May as scheduled. Minnesota's case counts are bizarrely high and our test positivity rate is pretty bad. I guess we'll find out tonight when Walz gives his talk.

* When it ends, I'll be keeping a really close eye on statewide conditions, and will make decisions about in-person events based on the facts at the time. Once stay-at-home ends, a lot of people are going to get sick; the state knows and accepts this this. I'm determined that my parents (who I normally see a lot of) do not catch it, certainly not from me.

* I can't imagine I will be willing to set foot in the FFG game center in the next few months, even once stay-at-home legally ends. Games in people's basements might be doable, because of the smaller number of exposures, but we'll just have to see how Minnesota's epidemic evolves.
Responding here to James and to the greater community that may be curious about COVID-19 in MN.

Governor Waltz is lifting shelter in place effective 5/18/20, and allowing (among other things) gatherings of 10 people or less. I am cautiously excited to get back to a more "normal" way of life, but understand everyone's circumstances are different. Personally, I think I will be spending the first couple of weekends (including Memorial Day weekend) just reconnecting with family and maybe a couple of our closest friends.

Realistically, I would want to wait a week or two from then before we even tried to host an in-person gig, if only to make sure it is safe to do so. Collectively, let's allow the "red shirts" to go out and party hard first here during May, and see what happens to them / the COVID-19 count in MN afterwards. That said, would any of the Frozen Chosen be interested in getting a gig on the calendar in, I don't know, say mid-June? Restart our local gaming group in a month or so?

By Commander Joe (Joe Kallstrom)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote:Watch out Money Inc.

The Munich World Order has deployed their Jager fuelled sexecutioner to openly challenge your Minnesota Minions.

Joe, you may have survived the Borg Cube Brawl via countout, but can you face me again with no countouts and no disqualifications?

After cashing Kris out at the Spring Stampede, this topless wonder of Terror is ready to thaw out the Frozen Chosen.

1E, one day event. Just name your day (as long as it's a Saturday or Sunday)
No countouts and no disqualifications, no problem! If you show up on our turf topless, we will freeze you in your tracks faster than you can thaw all of us. You will then be known as the Frozen Blunder of Terror.
LORE wrote: Realistically, I would want to wait a week or two from then before we even tried to host an in-person gig, if only to make sure it is safe to do so. Collectively, let's allow the "red shirts" to go out and party hard first here during May, and see what happens to them / the COVID-19 count in MN afterwards. That said, would any of the Frozen Chosen be interested in getting a gig on the calendar in, I don't know, say mid-June? Restart our local gaming group in a month or so?
Assuming most of the red shirts fair well, mid june sounds good to me.

By Hobie (Robert Petersen)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Weeknights can potentially work for a few hours on most days, but wouldn't be able to go too late into the night at all.

Weekends should be more open, but right now "freetime" is at a premium.

Just found out that my office will be closed into July, so will be working from home for a while longer.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cube sealed would be relatively easy to implement. I've looked into the possibility of making a discord bot for drafting, but I'm not particularly known for getting things done quickly. (Case in point: this cube took over 4 years to make.) I usually don't get home on Fridays until 9:15 pm, but building a sealed deck would take 10 minutes and of course rounds are short.

This Sunday I can start a game between 10am and 10pm.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote:Cube sealed would be relatively easy to implement. I've looked into the possibility of making a discord bot for drafting, but I'm not particularly known for getting things done quickly. (Case in point: this cube took over 4 years to make.) I usually don't get home on Fridays until 9:15 pm, but building a sealed deck would take 10 minutes and of course rounds are short.

This Sunday I can start a game between 10am and 10pm.
What kind of features are you looking for in the bot?
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
Wow, where did the COVID-19 summer go? Oh right... nowhere. We all went nowhere.

Just reanimating this thread to gauge interest in an in-person tournament day / evening sometime soon. How does everyone out there in The Land of 10,000 Champions feel about getting together to play in a gig? Yay, nay, idk? My understanding is FFG's game center is still closed, but The Source is open for events. We could also play at an alternative venue, either someone's house, the old RH Stafford Library, (remember those days?) etc. I am open to getting creative if it helps restart our local scene. But I also want to be sensitive... if we collectively feel like it is still too early, please tell me that as well.

Let's hear it, Frozen Chosen!
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]