It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hosted and Sponsored by the Tower of Commerce

Columbus Day Weekend, The (Great) Linq Hotel, Las Vegas NV.

More details to follow....

-- Image removed for violating Organized Play tournament listing policy --
-- This post has been edited for violating Organized Play tournament listing policy, by advertising a tournament that was not sanctioned for the level advertised. If you would like your tournament sanctioned at the level advertised, please contact the Director of Organized Play --
-- by JeBuS --

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:If you'd like the poster to display here, please ensure it doesn't advertise a tournament at a level the tournament isn't sanctioned for.
I posted this in the local events thread.

Last I looked, that didn't require OP approval.

What's the issue?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote:
JeBuS wrote:If you'd like the poster to display here, please ensure it doesn't advertise a tournament at a level the tournament isn't sanctioned for.
I posted this in the local events thread.

Last I looked, that didn't require OP approval.

What's the issue?
The poster advertised the event as North American Championships. Which I've been informed it hasn't been sanctioned as.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Informed by who?

Here are the CC Sanctioned Event names I'm familiar with

World Championship
North American Continental Championship
European Continental Championship
Australian Continental Championship
[Country] National Championship
Masters
Regional Championship.

Did I miss any?

I even very specifically stated that this was NOT a Continental Championship in the subject line to avoid confusion.

So an event that was posted in the "local events" forum advertising an event that does not have the name of any current CC-sanctioned events, and even explicitly endeavors to avoid confusion still gets ripped down for violating some OP Policy for sanctioning? For a Level 1 event? Do I have that right?

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote:Informed by who?

Here are the CC Sanctioned Event names I'm familiar with

World Championship
North American Continental Championship
European Continental Championship
Australian Continental Championship
[Country] National Championship
Masters
Regional Championship.

Did I miss any?

I even very specifically stated that this was NOT a Continental Championship in the subject line to avoid confusion.

So an event that was posted in the "local events" forum advertising an event that does not have the name of any current CC-sanctioned events, and even explicitly endeavors to avoid confusion still gets ripped down for violating some OP Policy for sanctioning? For a Level 1 event? Do I have that right?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:By calling the event the North American Championship, the image can be reasonably seen as a means of misleading anyone who views it. Your post was changed to prevent misleading members about a tournament.
I don't see "North American Championship" on the list of CC events.

What's next? Banning Kaiserfest posters?

By sandy
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:By calling the event the North American Championship, the image can be reasonably seen as a means of misleading anyone who views it. Your post was changed to prevent misleading members about a tournament.

Sorry, can you clarify? Armus specifically said *not a continental* - how is that misleading?

Are you implying that a reasonable person is incapable of distinguishing between "north american continental championship" and "north american (not a continental) championship"?

I would say that a reasonable person would conclude that you have an ulterior motive to suppress and/or undermine this tournament, regardless of branding. There is zero reference to the CC or sanction levels in the poster.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Armus wrote:
I don't see "North American Championship" on the list of CC events.

What's next? Banning Kaiserfest posters?
A Kaiserfest image was removed for the same reason. The image was then changed, sufficiently differentiated, and no longer misleading.

By sandy
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So, in this case, unfortunately we can't change the name of the event due to legal reasons - it's officially registered as an event in multiple places - we chose the name specifically because it wouldn't conflict with CC sanctioned tournaments. It's discouraging to hear that because of some perceived similarity with CC events, we can't promote it appropriately in CC forums.

It's discouraging to see this level of petty spitefulness around an event that I was hoping would bring people together.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
The simplest option, and my recommendation, would be to change your image to differentiate your tournament here.

Another option would be to petition the Department of Organized Play to have your tournament officially recognized for the level you're advertising.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Oh ok.

Or... you can treat the members of the community like adults who can read and tell the difference between a local gig and an "official" high level event, especially when it's posted in the forum for local events and not high level events, which, last I looked, had its own forum.

Or hell, post some official clarifying language in a response post disavowing the CC of all knowledge of this thing. That way if people somehow still manage to get confused you can rightly say you tried to warn them.

But instead you choose to squash the creative endeavors of people actually a) trying to grow the game and b) trying to work within the existing CC structure.

Keep this up and you're going to find out that the CC isn't needed to promote the game. There's enough other ways to get the word out that the CC Organized Play forum is a bit player.

Gonna look real silly when ToC events are outdrawing CC gigs, "high level" or not.

EDIT:
JeBuS wrote:The simplest option, and my recommendation, would be to change your image to differentiate your tournament here.

Another option would be to petition the Department of Organized Play to have your tournament officially recognized for the level you're advertising.
Dude. It's a Level 1 event in CC-world. If I have to get permission from the Director of OP to run locals, this is a much bigger issue than I thought it was....

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]