It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.

For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
NoSoup4you wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:01 pm I barely played since that time a couple years ago, but I hope to make it.
Fantastic! We hope to see you!

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
NoSoup4you wrote:I barely played since that time a couple years ago, but I hope to make it.
Awesome! I know last time you joined us for 2E; are you good with playing 1E this time? Even if you're not familiar with 1E, it should be pretty easy to pick up as a 2E player, especially since the cube only uses a subset of 1E's mechanics.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Alright folks, I am hard at work on the latest updates for the cube. I don't have complete lists yet, but here's an overview of the changes.

[SD] Seed cards will be increased to 12. (As usual, does not include missions).

[SD] No Affiliation Attack Restrictions. (However, affiliation compatibility rules are still in effect).

[SD] I'm refocusing the dilemmas a bit. I'm removing the gender dilemmas and the (Honor OR Treachery) dilemmas, and adding SECURITY, SCIENCE, and Navigation dilemmas. I'm also making personnel attributes more relevant by adding higher attribute requirements as well as dilemmas that reduce attributes.

The bare minimum requirements your deck needs to pass all walls thus becomes:
2 OFFICER
2 ENGINEER
2 SECURITY
SCIENCE
MEDICAL
2 Computer Skill
2 Diplomacy
2 Navigation
Leadership

...BUT...

[SD] I am adding non-aligned personnel to the starter pack that will get you over halfway to meeting the bare minimum. These personnel are intended to be a safety net and will generally be worse than anyone you can draft.

Every player will get one copy of the following personnel in their "starter pack":
Ty Kajada
Coutu
Jaheel
Gorta
Dr. Farek

I'll also add an NA ship TBD to the starter pack.

[SD] Each affiliation now has a defined weakness: Federation is bad at SECURITY, Romulans are bad at MEDICAL, and Klingons are bad at ENGINEER. For example, there should still be enough Fed and NA SECURITY such that a Fed-only deck is possible, but a Fed/Kli Treaty deck is generally going to prefer the Klingon SECURITY over the Fed SECURITY.
 -  
Community Contributor
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:54 am [SD] Each affiliation now has a defined weakness: Federation is bad at SECURITY, Romulans are bad at MEDICAL, and Klingons are bad at ENGINEER. For example, there should still be enough Fed and NA SECURITY such that a Fed-only deck is possible, but a Fed/Kli Treaty deck is generally going to prefer the Klingon SECURITY over the Fed SECURITY.
Clearly defined skill gaps makes my mouth water. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Tentative Dilemma Change Log for tomorrow, let me know if I cut anything you liked or if there are any red flags:

-Female's Love Interest
-Parallel Romance
-Brief Romance
-Socializing with the Staff
-Primal Urges

Honor/Treachery
-Forsaken
-New Essentialists
-Occupational Hazards

Bad
-The Gatherers
-Nausicaans
-Misguided Activist
-Q's Vicious Animal Things

Misc
-Close Call
-Spaceborne Entity

STRENGTH walls
+Hanonian Land Eel
+Dangerous Climb
+Trilithium Raid

SECURITY
+Don't Let it end this way
+Shields Up!

Attribute Drain
+Hello Computer?
+Morphogenic Virus
+Invasive Procedures

Assorted Walls
+Gomtuu shockwave
+DNA Security Scan
+Difficult Disposal
+Fly By The Seat of Your pants

Misc
+Romulan Mind Probes
+Experience Bij
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Event results will be input momentarily, but we all know the real winners of this gig were the family that will receive support from our collective generous donations. Special thanks to James for running / being the auctioneer, Jason for coordinating the card pool, Steve for crossing over and playing 1E for fun, Matt for coming out to play in his first official First Edition gig, Joe for the great / tense round 2 match, and of course to Robert-o on the tournament victory!

You folks are the best! :cheersL:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
NoSoup4you wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:59 pm Thanks all. I would be interested in trying 1E with the normal ruleset, but I don't really know where to begin. The strategy articles are more about specific decks than things like who to send on early missions, what random skills are in demand for surviving dilemmas, etc.
The best advice I can give is attempt early. The sooner you see dilemmas the sooner you'll know what you need and can play accordingly.

I usually take my first 4-6 randos and chuck them at the nearest convenient mission to see what's there.

Put another way, I've lost games (and seen others lose games) by overthinking and over-preparing and ending up too far behind the pace.

There may be a bit more to it than that, but that's honestly a pretty good rule of thumb, and a better starting point than most.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:07 pm
NoSoup4you wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:59 pm Thanks all. I would be interested in trying 1E with the normal ruleset, but I don't really know where to begin. The strategy articles are more about specific decks than things like who to send on early missions, what random skills are in demand for surviving dilemmas, etc.
The best advice I can give is attempt early. The sooner you see dilemmas the sooner you'll know what you need and can play accordingly.

I usually take my first 4-6 randos and chuck them at the nearest convenient mission to see what's there.

Put another way, I've lost games (and seen others lose games) by overthinking and over-preparing and ending up too far behind the pace.

There may be a bit more to it than that, but that's honestly a pretty good rule of thumb, and a better starting point than most.
I agree that this is generally good advice. If I can attempt on turn one, I will almost always do it
 -  
Community Contributor
http://www.boavon.plus.com/walls.pdf

This is out-of-date, but still quite useful. We've since added an 2 Exobiology OR Law wall with Misinterpreted History, and probably a couple others, but, if you follow this guide's recommendations, you're going to be in good stead (and probably just fine on the other skills almost by accident)!

And, tbqh, the best way to figure it out is to just dive into the wide world of mission attempts and dilemmas and see what the heck happens to you. The dread of a new combo never actually goes away, because people are always coming up with tortuous new combos anyway -- like the time Jason Tang showed up with countdown dilemmas (mostly third-tier dilemma The Clown: On His Throne + second-tier In The Pale Moonlight) that he agonizingly extended using End Transmission spam (which skips the countdown step). Or the time at Worlds when Michael Van Breeman sprung the hawt new German tech on me: Entertaining Display --> Mila --> Transport Inhibitor + Plague Ship: autokill entire away team and prevent anyone from beaming down ever again.

You're gonna get screwed by dilemmas occasionally. That's the game! (And quite a lot of fun.)

Still, it would be TERRIFYING going into my first OTF complete game with no clue what dilemma combos are Cool And Evil. I remember getting just destroyed by "old standbys" when I started playing around 2012, and there's more combos now than there were a decade ago.

One way to learn what people are running is to look at decklists that specifically list their dilemma strategies. Here's a list of them: https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... emmastrats

Most of these name each specific combo they use. You can test how your teams will do in a real-life game by slamming them into these dilemmas and seeing what happens! (You're gonna have a lot of attrition -- OTF Complete is a bit bloodier than the Warp Speed Cube -- but OTF Complete also has more play/draw, so you can recover faster as well.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, I will echo the "when in doubt, attempt early" sentiment. In 1E, dilemmas can be really devastating. Sometimes you'll lose an entire ship or Away Team. But when that happens, you've learned something. The worst thing you can do is not attempt missions, because then you don't learn anything.

The Affiliation HQ pages list top 10 dilemmas, so that's a good place to start for what dilemmas to expect. Note that for Chula: The Game, Experience Bij! and Friendly Fire, there is a slim chance of actually overcoming them, so it's really about hitting them as soon as you can so that they expire as soon as possible.

My personal strategy is that on turn 2 (or 3 at the very latest), I look at who I have in play, determine if there is anyone I need to hold back and protect, then send everyone else at a mission. The personnel I protect are typically:
[SD] Anyone needed to power my plays or draws. If I'm planning on drawing using Deyos or an Anthropology personnel at a Duck Blind, I don't send them to face unknown dilemmas.
[SD] One [Cmd] personnel if I don't have any left in my hand. If I need a second ship, I want to be able to staff it right away.
[SD] Anyone with a particularly rare skill. For example, when playing Federation, I've been more protective of Treachery personnel since Feds don't have a lot, and Treachery has been useful lately.

If you want, you can also borrow a deck for one of our tournaments. That's what I did for my first constructed tournament (...since the 90s...). I basically always have extra decks with me, like my TNG Fed deck. Or if you ask in the tournament planning thread, I'm sure other players would be glad to bring an extra deck or two.
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]