It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.
  • 105 posts
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I often choose to forgo tournaments and have had trouble scheduling tournaments because of my and other players revulsion to playing Ensign Q
Last edited by pfti on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
pfti wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:43 pm I often choose to forgo tournaments and have had trouble scheduling tournaments because of my and other players revulsion to playing Ensign Q
So did I! :thumbsup:

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
DISCO Rox No More wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:31 pm We sure do seem to be hearing a lot of opinions from the guy who claims he's "backing out" and "not really part of this."
I'll be more clear.

I said I was backing out as to not go between the conversation of the CC and EQ. I was agreeing that if you are not EQ in an alternative account, you are every bit as unnecessarily toxic and aggressively invasive as he is. Too, you take specific parts of a statement and misrepresent them to try and justify your own unsolicited opinion. So, I agreed with the poster on his assumption you are, indeed, also Ensign Q, then backed out as to not appear that I was interfering or disagreeing with the ruling.

I said I was not a part of this because I'm not a member of the CC, nor have I played in any Online event with EQ. I am a member of the community, which is why I started my post that way. Again, you are being unnecessarily toxic by misrepresenting the situation. Again, we are adults, be better.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:43 pm

I often choose to forgo tournaments and have had trouble scheduling tournaments because of my and other players revulsion to playing Ensign Q
Is the meme-ing necessary?

It really does detract from your main - very important - point.
Last edited by Armus on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
This post is taking itself too seriously, but yes I can take the meme down

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
More opinions from the guy who doesn't want other opinions to be heard, now that he's put forward his own!
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:27 pm I was agreeing that if you are not EQ in an alternative account, you are every bit as unnecessarily toxic and aggressively invasive as he is.
Quotes, or it didn't happen!
Too, you take specific parts of a statement and misrepresent them to try and justify your own unsolicited opinion.
Quotes, or it didn't happen!

(Also, I'm curious as to who you think solicited your opinion. Or is that your unsolicited opinion is inherently more valid than my equally unsolicited opinion?).
So, I agreed with the poster on his assumption you are, indeed, also Ensign Q, then backed out as to not appear that I was interfering or disagreeing with the ruling.
So you made a ridiculous, unsupportable accusation and then innocently "backed out" after that? Is that kind of like how the arsonist slinks away backs out after setting a fire?
Again, you are being unnecessarily toxic by misrepresenting the situation.
In what way did I represent a situation? And how was that a misrepresentation?

For those playing along at home, I'm happy to point out the situation that you misrepresented, and continue to misrepresent.
Again, we are adults, be better.
Whoah, whoah, whoah. "We" means "You" and "I."

I am not the one accusing people (and in multiple threads) of being someone else, simply because they disagree with me.

I am not the one making unsupportable accusations and tearing down opinions (while ignoring pretty objective questions and arguments), and then following up with a call for no one else to be heard because (now that I've given my two cents?), the thread has "run its course."

So don't lump me in with you. There is no "we."

You know what I really think?

I think you don't like Ensign Q and you are happy he's being banned. But you know it's possible that it was done in a really piss-poor, lousy, way, outside of any reasonable process, and that makes you worried that the end result (Ensign Q getting banned) is on shaky ground and so might go away somehow. So in order to prevent that, you start making wild accusations about people who are calling attention to the fact that that "process" is piss-poor, while calling for the topic itself to be scuttled and buried away, so that no one has to actually confront the hard questions being asked about the process (or lack thereof).

You can't confront the arguments, so you confront the arguer (or try to silence the argument from being made).

Like I said before in this thread, Ensign Q is behaving pretty abominably. But he isn't the only one, and the others should be equally ashamed of themselves.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
So after thinking about it, and reading the ongoing dialog, I have qualms with the process that has unfolded in getting to these decisions, and moreso, the way this was (or more correctly, WASN'T) communicated.

I think one reason I'm feeling rubbed the wrong way is that this decision changes the relationship between the tournament directors and the Department of Organized Play.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always viewed OP's primary role as creating a standardized ruleset and framework for the individual tournament directors to use in their organizing and running of tournaments. They were there to serve and support the Tournament Directors, without whom none of this would matter.

So, as a tournament director, when I get a message from Organized Play telling me I'm not allowed to let a player participate in one of my tournaments, that seems to have the above relationship backwards. Even moreso since it seems to go against the guiding principle of LET THE PLAYERS PLAY - a principle that I have always agreed with and supported.

I was glad to see @LORE step up and be more involved in the conversation yesterday, because seeing this handed down from Julius didn't really carry a lot of weight with me since I don't run tournaments in Europe (or if it was supposed to, then why do Michael Van Breemen and Jon Carter have nerd jobs?).

That said, I'm a bit confused on a couple of points. If Ensign Q were to play in an otherwise-sanctioned tournament, would the powers that be go back into the tournament system and mark it unsanctioned after the fact, thus depriving other players of ratings points and achievements? That seems to be the implication, but then Kris said that TDs can conveniently ignore the ban if they wanted to? That stance has the benefit of being more in line with LET THE PLAYERS PLAY, but that intent seems like a footnote in the way it was communicated.

If the main reasoning behind this decision is for OP to give European Directors top cover to host events in their homes without being forced to have Ensign Q there, I can actually understand that, as the line between venue owner and Tournament Director has gotten a lot blurrier than it used to be. In an ideal world we wouldn't have to ostrazise players that way, but I understand that this isn't an ideal world, and in this case, that specific player's specific choices have led to this consequence.

So, bottom line, what are the boundaries of this decision? Can Ensign Q play in tournaments if the TD allows it and no players object? If he does play, will those tournaments still be sanctioned?

At the end of the day, I can understand where OP is coming from, and the multiple first hand testimony from players in this thread really does underscore the point that Ensign Q's behavior, intentional or not, was antagonizing other players, and that's as they say, bad for business. But unfortunately, the communication strategy employed here was pretty bad, and really undercut a decision that, on net, might be necessary and justified on the merits.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Armus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:45 amIf the main reasoning behind this decision is for OP to give European Directors top cover to host events in their homes without being forced to have Ensign Q there, I can actually understand that, as the line between venue owner and Tournament Director has gotten a lot blurrier than it used to be. In an ideal world we wouldn't have to ostrazise players that way, but I understand that this isn't an ideal world, and in this case, that specific player's specific choices have led to this consequence.
I agree, this could have been communicated better. We decided against a front page article to as not draw even more unnecessary attention to it, and Jules / Jon / Maggie stepped up to notify the parties involved / affected as I continue to struggle with my health. Not saying that as an excuse, it is simply how this played out.

The snip above is largely accurate with the additional caveat that tournament directors of online events can also impose this sanction. Again, the OP Guide and CoC do not currently offer T.D.'s any protection against whom they can keep out of their events and this ban is an attempt at acknowledging the track record of bad behavior for one specific individual and noting we do not condone it. But as you alluded to, we have little standing to enforce it on our own. If a T.D. wants to let him play, they can. Their event's attendance may suffer as a result, but they are allowed to let him play and the events will all be scored as normal. Mostly, the ban is an attempt to empower T.D.'s to say "you know what, enough is enough with this guy" and run an event where he is not welcome with OP's blessing.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Thanks for the clarification, Kris.

There's a big difference in my book between "if you want to keep this guy out, we're cool, given his track record" and "if you want to let this guy in, we'll punish you, given his track record."

I'm not sure how much (if any) practical difference it will make, but as a matter of principle, it's a big difference.

I'm also sorry to hear about your continuing health struggles. Hopefully things can turn around for you! :cross: :cheersL:

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:38 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:56 pm
DarkSabre wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:54 pm Just going on record as supporting this decision. I have been the target of Ensign Q’s toxicity and I had been forced to essentially not play in any online tournaments. There are many people who have had toxic experiences with him. If his name had been John Corbett he would have been banned ages ago.
huh? i have 2 tournament records in my pms
cage in jul 19 and tnz release in april20
only scheduling.
i dont even remember you

out of curiosity i looked up the tournament reports.
in tnz you beat me with dominion.
i remember now we both were laughing how silly we were to skip our first turns.
I am referring to your antisemitic comments during a Trekcc meeting and then in the DOJO discord where you doubled down on those comments stating you felt you did nothing wrong at all. I was told that the CC would not do anything about the situation so I had to choose to either play in online tournaments knowing I could be paired with an antisemite or choose not to play.

Many members of the Trek community were there when those incidences happened.
provide some logs. antisemetic is pretty overused. my flatmate is jewish btw, you better tell her
i never attended any trekcc meetings, how to? and i left the discord before april20 btw.
whats next? calling me hitler?

i get that i annoyed a lot of people on the forums, because im unable to sugarcoat my opinions, but those accusations become ridiculous

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
still zero proof to any of this shit?

but i admit, i torture puppys when im offline

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 pm still zero proof to any of this shit?

but i admit, i torture puppys when im offline
There are plenty of members here who remember the incidents where you showed your true colors in what kind of person you are. You can try and deny all you want. Also changing your profile picture to that is pretty offensive. Israeli flag doesn't equal Jews.

And that is all the time I am giving to this matter. I don't need to waste my time with someone who has emphatically shown he is a hateful person and an antisemite. IMO the ban doesn't go far enough because if someone deserves a ban from tournaments then they should also be banned from the boards as well. Luckily I have the ability to mute you on here at the very least.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
VulcanHello wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:26 pm
chutzpah involved no doubt
What do you mean by this?
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
VulcanHello wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:26 pm another one bites the dust

is it because hes european

is it because of his israel avatar

chutzpah involved no doubt
Stop those attempts - Ensign Q has changed his avatar to the Israel flag AFTER some other members pointed out his antsemitic attitude...but nice try to blame the other side
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]