It all starts at home: local tournaments, local players. Keep track of events in your region, adjacent regions, and around the globe in this forum.

For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 231 posts

By Commander Joe (Joe Kallstrom)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:47 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:12 pm
Hoss-Drone wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:37 pm Can you guys schedule your next local for 4/9? Mark, Keith and myself are able to come up then for some 1e action.
On Easter?
That's when Easter is this year? The Saturdays before and after that weekend or the Sunday 2 weeks after instead. That's what works for us..... So April 1, 15 or 23rd I believe.
Of these dates, the 23rd is the only one I can make work. The store is not open as long on Sundays so don't pick this day just for me.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
flrazor wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:38 pm As a heads up for folks planning future events: Gamezenter (former FFG Center) will start charging $10 per person per day for use of the open gaming spaces starting on Monday, April 3rd, indicated by wristband issued at the counter. Private room rentals are still available and will come with a fixed number of daypasses based on the room.

https://gamezenter.com/the-gamezenter-daypass/

Each person that purchases a pass will get a $10 merchandise coupon emailed to them for use over the next 30 days if you provide your email address. Coupons are not good towards food or further daypasses.
Thanks for posting this, Jer. It might be time we start looking at alternative venues - such as The Source once again or perhaps the new store opening near my house, Dreamer's Vault.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
There's a good chance I can make an appearance for a 1E April event in MN. :shifty: Assuming it doesn't clash with a 1E April event in Chicago...

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I'm down for going back to the source or doing the new place. Source Sunday hours are noon-6pm which makes it more friendly for us doing an up and back.

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:08 am
flrazor wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:38 pm As a heads up for folks planning future events: Gamezenter (former FFG Center) will start charging $10 per person per day for use of the open gaming spaces starting on Monday, April 3rd, indicated by wristband issued at the counter. Private room rentals are still available and will come with a fixed number of daypasses based on the room.

Each person that purchases a pass will get a $10 merchandise coupon emailed to them for use over the next 30 days if you provide your email address. Coupons are not good towards food or further daypasses.
Thanks for posting this, Jer. It might be time we start looking at alternative venues - such as The Source once again or perhaps the new store opening near my house, Dreamer's Vault.
Biggest thing is I didn't want it to be a surprise when people showed up and had to shell out for wristbands.

I'm not opposed to a store asking for something for the use of space/overhead, but the quality of the store and products available have been in decline for a while, and food has been scaled back to the point of almost having none.

The structure of the program is really shady to me, like the full value getting issued as a coupon with short expiration, and the only way to get that is to opt in to their marketing or you don't get them. Like at that point, just charge like $5-6 which would cover your retail markup and leave it at that. They're either figuring a lot of people won't redeem their coupons, or it's going to force people into buying stuff to pad their retail sales figures and their marketing database. If you go to one of their hosted events which usually has a fee to the store anyways you don't get the credit back.

Back when we first went to their original location and they had memberships that covered space rentals and gave discounts I didn't bat an eye. The value out of it was worth what it cost, and small tournament fees would more than cover it even with low turnout.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
flrazor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:53 pm
LORE wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:08 am

Biggest thing is I didn't want it to be a surprise when people showed up and had to shell out for wristbands.

I'm not opposed to a store asking for something for the use of space/overhead, but the quality of the store and products available have been in decline for a while, and food has been scaled back to the point of almost having none.

The structure of the program is really shady to me, like the full value getting issued as a coupon with short expiration, and the only way to get that is to opt in to their marketing or you don't get them. Like at that point, just charge like $5-6 which would cover your retail markup and leave it at that. They're either figuring a lot of people won't redeem their coupons, or it's going to force people into buying stuff to pad their retail sales figures and their marketing database. If you go to one of their hosted events which usually has a fee to the store anyways you don't get the credit back.

Back when we first went to their original location and they had memberships that covered space rentals and gave discounts I didn't bat an eye. The value out of it was worth what it cost, and small tournament fees would more than cover it even with low turnout.

FFG can feel free to capitalism but they better not be surprised when their customers capitalism back

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:31 pm FFG can feel free to capitalism but they better not be surprised when their customers capitalism back
At least it's not actually FFG anymore, although it is the former FFG CEO and his venture capital team that now owns the store. He's got a lot of...opinions...

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Wow, they must be hurting really badly to even consider a decision that looks that bad. The same millennials and younger who don't have game rooms in the houses they don't have aren't gonna line up to pay $10 entrance fees.

It might actually work out if it was $5 instead. For people who want to use the coupon, they're probably gonna end up buying more than $5 anyway. I'm sure there'd be a lot more people willing to ignore the coupon and just shrug off a $5 cover charge than a $10 one.

I could justify a few events there since I've been meaning to upgrade my sleeves for my cube (and other projects...), but I was planning on doing that with store credit from Lodestone Coffee and Games (a very nice store, btw) when I downsize my M:TG collection. ($0.13 per inch, baby!)

But it's kind of hard to justify for the group when we have plenty of other game stores, libraries, and Arby's restaurants in the area.

By Hobie (Robert Petersen)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Am curious if the group would be open to game stores not in St Paul? We have a few in the western suburbs here too.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Hobie wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:22 am Am curious if the group would be open to game stores not in St Paul? We have a few in the western suburbs here too.
I am totally open to wherever we can play that is not going to try to charge us just to be in the store. Personally, I like Battleground Cafe in White Bear Lake as that is where Nat and I meet to play Wingspan, but that is also on the East side of town. What places on the West side might fit?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 am
Hobie wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:22 am Am curious if the group would be open to game stores not in St Paul? We have a few in the western suburbs here too.
I am totally open to wherever we can play that is not going to try to charge us just to be in the store. Personally, I like Battleground Cafe in White Bear Lake as that is where Nat and I meet to play Wingspan, but that is also on the East side of town. What places on the West side might fit?
Whether its I 35 e or w doesn't matter to us. Just tell us where to be....
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 am To bring this back around:

23rd at the source starting at noon?
Consider this an outsider's vote for 23rd. It would mean I could make it part of a work trip. :shifty:

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]