Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Time to get a special skill and a game text for Mr. Mudd! The winning concepts are "Boosts females present" submitted by karonofborg13, Hanok, Aoide Muse, and commdecker for First Edition and "Protects Thief personnel, Smuggler personnel and/or Crime cards." submitted by makimachine for Second Edition.
Now it's your time to get more specific and submit your ideas for a special skill or a game text (or both). You can find some more information, early versions of the Harcourt Fenton Mudd cards, and of course the voting here. Voting will stay open till Wednesday, November the 10th, 8AM EDT.

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Well, so much for Harry being splash-able in every deck.

List of Thieves worth saving:
Orion Chicks

List of Smugglers worth saving:
Quark?

List of crime cards worth saving:

It's a nice thematic ability, but there's really not much that has those keywords that I want to especially protect. If there a bunch of cool new Crime events, he could be good, but right now, I'm a bit disappointed.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
wooot! :o I didn't even know I was the only one with that idea. Geeeh, Thanks! Now I feel that I need to come up with a great game text as well. :shifty:

Although I have to get back on that one...

Edit: I could name a few, but mostly Cyrus Redblock
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
I'd like to see something that helps Thieves and Smugglers complete missions, perhaps a kind of stop protection. It could make using such personnel more worthwhile.

In Mudd's Women, thanks to the use of his women, Mudd managed to remain unstop and still running trying to work schemes far longer than expected. So maybe something that helps keep him and fellow Thieves or Smugglers doing their business?

In other words, in Mudd's Women he sort of served as the leader of a (rather dysfunctional) "team" that attempting a mission. So give him an ability that helps his "team" of thieves and smug people.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Triumph wrote:I'd like to see something that helps Thieves and Smugglers complete missions, perhaps a kind of stop protection. It could make using such personnel more worthwhile.
How about:

When any number of your smuggler and theif personnel present are about to be stopped by a dilemma you may place this personnel on the bottom of owners deck to prevent that.

The Allegiance Ferengi don't seem to quite work yet, perhaps something that makes them more desirable (the above gametext does?)

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I still like the "sell your opponent stuff" idea, so here's what I'm thinking:

When your Smuggler, Thief of Crime card is about to be placed in your discard pile, you may place an equipment from your discard pile at your opponent's headquarters mission to place that card on top of your deck instead. Your opponent now commands that equipment.

Notice: I haven't length checked this text, so I'm not sure it will all fit.
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 -  
Adventurer
How about:

When this personnel or your smuggler or thief present is about to be placed on opponent's dilemma, event, or in opponent's brig, stop this personnel or your smuggler or thief present to prevent that.

You may briefly detain (stop) Mudd, but he's a slippery fish and as long as his cronies are around, he can elude your grasp and stay out of the brig...or avoid doing Hard Time, or finagle his way out of going to the Holding Cell. Or maybe Mudd himself will stop, talking you into not sending his...friends to jail. It helps against one of the most common dilemmas in the game, as well as a variety of other threats, encourages the use of multiple thieves and smugglers together, and is thematically appropriate. The wording is clunkier than I'd like, though.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Triumph wrote:When this personnel or your smuggler or thief present is about to be placed on opponent's dilemma, event, or in opponent's brig, stop this personnel or your smuggler or thief present to prevent that.
I kinda like that one, it's not going Archer crazy, and I don't think we've ever seen this on a card before?

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I know some people are sick of random selection avoidance, but it seems to fit his character.

While this personnel is facing a dilemma, you may destroy an event in your core to prevent each of your smugglers from being randomly selected by that dilemma.

A couple of points
-I think it would make it fun to try and build a smuggler deck.
-he can protect himself which after all was his number one concern on the show.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
For those of us playing the home game, can the 1E card have another line of game text at the cost of a line of lore?

Also, what is wrong with the skills as wirtten? I can't possibly think of any ambiguity that can come up in a game.

Faithful Reader
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 -  
Adventurer
Foreman wrote:I know some people are sick of random selection avoidance, but it seems to fit his character.

While this personnel is facing a dilemma, you may destroy an event in your core to prevent each of your smugglers from being randomly selected by that dilemma.

A couple of points
-I think it would make it fun to try and build a smuggler deck.
-he can protect himself which after all was his number one concern on the show.
I still like my idea better ( :wink: ), but...if the card were to go in the boring, ordinary, stop-prevention / selection-prevention direction...could the cost be made more appropriate, or trek-sensical, for Mudd? Maybe tie it back into the selling idea that so many liked? Also, should it really be just smugglers and not thieves?

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
For First Edition, I'd rather see something along the lines of "doubles first listed skill of each ❖ female present" rather than "all females present are attributes +2". The former is generally more useful IMO. Limiting it to ❖ females means it's not broken, and gives more power to underused cards.

However, why limit it to women? I know the episode (blatantly sexist) featured 3 women, but I believe the Venus drug could also be used on men.

His skills would naturally include Smuggling (x2), Treachery, Greed and probably Leadership. Command ability, low Integrity and high Cunning. Cunning of 10 or more would be fitting I think, and would significantly make the card stand out (making him much more useful).
Last edited by Zef'No on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E:
I went with •All your females present gains VIP.
This seemed to fit the eps he was in. I too would love to se something else then atributes +2 or something like that. We have enough of boost for such already.

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is it too far off for something like "Female's Love Interest relocates here"?

Going off Aid Fugitives, you could add "from any quadrant" to that for clarity.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
2E

How does...

"When this personnel or your Smuggler or Thief personnel present is about to be stopped or killed by a dilemma, you may give command of a personnel present to an opponent instead. Place that personnel on a planet mission."

...sound?

It's pretty thematic and, although the effect has become a little more commonplace, the cost of the effect isn't.

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]