Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Thanks to all of you that have submitted ideas for the special skill. Our First Edition Lead designer has reviewed all your ideas and we have cut down them to a list of eight possible choices:

Special Skill 1:
[DL] Venus Drug [DL] Mudd's Women
Special Skill 2:
Once every turn your females present may "stop" one male present (random selection). Your opponent may exclude one male from this selection for each female present which they control.
Special Skill 3:
Females Present are attributes all +2 and gain youth.
Special Skill 4:
Females present are INTEGRITY -2, CUNNING +1, and STRENGTH +1.
Special Skill 5:
Female's Love Interest relocates here.
Special Skill 6:
May prevent up to three females present from being randomly selected.
Special Skill 7:
Doubles first listed skill of each ❖ female present.
Special Skill 8:
While attempting a mission, each of your females present is CUNNING +3 and STRENGTH +3.
Voting will begin shortly. Up to then feel free to discuss the suggestions and lobby for the special skill you have suggested!

EDIT: Voting is now open and will stay open 'til Wednesday, December the 1st, 8AM EDT.
Last edited by thsch on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
AllenGould wrote:Does #2 even fit on a 1E personnel template? That's a heckuva lot of text.

#7 looks kinda cool.
I think #2 would have to be significantly rewritten, or more likely, off-loaded onto a verb that Mudd downloads. There's pretty much no way it will fit on any existing 1E personnel template.

-crp

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I wrote #2 and it was my intent to have it either rewritten (I am certainly no expert on wording) or offloaded onto a verb (I.E. a download like in #1).

Not sure which I like best, though. There are many good options.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
To bad mine didn't make it to the final cut.

Having said that I think that #5 looks interesting. #6 looks very strong and #7 looks like it will actually make me want to use him and still feel like he is balanced.

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Special Skill 1:
I'm leaning toward this option. DL icons are very 1E and the other options could easily be represented by these two verbs.

Venus Drug could be #3, #4, #7 or #8
Mudd's Women could be #2 or #5

Special Skill 2:

What I like about my suggestion is that it makes trek sense with the episode. The text mimics one of the abilities on TWT Kirk and could help out both personnel battle decks and anti personnel pattle decks. By using the term every, the text allows a player to stop their own males or their opponent's males during either their own or their opponent's turns.

The second sentence promotes the use of females in decks as well as enabling a player to protect their best males with well placed females.

Special Skill 3:
I prefer this option to the other attribute boosting abilities as it also aids youth, as this is what happens in the show. I do, however, think that this would make a better verb card (Venus Drug), be an interrupt (short term effect), and should be coupled with the Integrity Reduction seen in option 4.

Special Skill 4:
What I like about this option is that it elicits the story from the episode by reducing the Integrity of the females along with the boost. I think it is unlikely to see play as the boost is not enough to make up for the loss of integrity. Though perhaps it could produce a federation deck that can bust through In The Pale Moonlight easily.

Special Skill 5:
Love this one. Could be really useful in a Khan deck, where a player could Ceti Eel a good pull or simply let the mook die. It makes sense that males looking for love might come to Mudd (although in the ep. Mudd came to them).

Special Skill 6:
Not very Mudd. Why would he protect females again, what profi is there in it?

Special Skill 7:
Makes sense, but it would obligate the three Women from the episode to be ❖ . Still, might make sense.

Special Skill 8:
The opposite of option 4, this one is a great card! Too good actually. I'd like to see these all combined into something more like: Int -2, Cunning +2, Str +1, + Youth. I still prefer it as an interrupt, though, since the effect was short lived and not simply an effect of being around the dashing Harry.

I'll likely vote #1.
Last edited by The Mad Vulcan on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
The Mad Vulcan wrote:Special Skill 1:
I'm leaning toward this option. DL icons are very 1E and the other options could easily be represented by these two verbs.

[edited for brevity]

I'll likely vote #1.
Of course, keep in mind here that we don't know, should #1 win, whether those cards will be partially or wholly designed by us, or just handed off to the design team. (As I recall, this is one reason Mudd beat the Relativity.)

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Male and female stuff is one thing i really miss in 2E. I like option 5 because i liked those dilemmas. 7 is pretty good too.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:

[edited for brevity]

I'll likely vote #1.
Of course, keep in mind here that we don't know, should #1 win, whether those cards will be partially or wholly designed by us, or just handed off to the design team. (As I recall, this is one reason Mudd beat the Relativity.)
Choosing special downloads kind of takes the fun out of the process. And the point. It's passing the buck at best and avoiding the issue at worst.

Faithful Reader
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
nobthehobbit wrote:

[edited for brevity]

I'll likely vote #1.
I think that - for voting - you should assume that you will not get to design any "new" cards targeted by a [DL], and that they will be handed off to the design team. BUT, that's not set in stone, either. But I wouldn't assume you will get to make them.

(I think the probable truth is somewhere in between.)

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
chompers wrote:Male and female stuff is one thing i really miss in 2E. I like option 5 because i liked those dilemmas.
And it's the shortest option, which means there's still room for an extra skill, or even one of those special downloads if necessary (though it may be too late for that). :)
Achievement Master
By SirRogue
 - Achievement Master
 -  

I'll likely vote #1.
Agreed. 1E personnel are not meant to have blocks of text on them. They should download cards that do the things you want the blocks of text to do. If the design team is true to the spirit of WotC, I'm sure they will take some of the other concepts here into account when designing Mudd's Women and Venus Drug. Let's not turn this into another 2E wannabe card by stacking it with too much text.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Special Skill #5 has the best 1E feel, in my opinion. And I think it leaves room for other things, like [SD] Greed.

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]