Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
ImageImage

By now the two Harrys have a gametext or a special skill. Time to fill some more gaps. At the beginning of next week, we will start to vote on the attributes and skills.

So use the weekend (and this thread) to make up your mind and discuss what skills and attributes Harry should have.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
2E

Acquisition = duh

Anthropology or Diplomacy = his people skills

Biology: for his Venus drug trickery

Leadership = for leading Mudd's women in the scheme

Treachery = duh

Integrity must be at least 4, in order to have treachery, but no less than 3, because he's not quite a mass murderer or anything. I vote INT 3, but could go with 4.

Cunning should be better than average, but not genius level, so probably CUN 6. He was a trickster, but wasn't the brightest bulb in the box either, so I could accept on 5 cunning, and then just account for his sly tricks with his skills and ability.

Strength seemed pretty average, so 5 or maybe 6. Not a big deal.

For flying his own ship, he really ought to have at least a [Stf] , if not [Cmd] .

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E
Civilian
[Stf]
[SD] Anthropology [SD] Acquisition [SD] Treachery
INT [4] CUN [7] STR [5]

That would fit him and the template both.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
2E:

Integrity 5 Cunning 6 Strength 5

His skills (using TATV's Marlena Moreau as the maximum-type template, of which she has 5 skills with their respective 5 [SD] on one line of gametext, allows for 38 characters), I would posit that this could work:

[SD] Acquisition [SD] Diplomacy [SD] Honor [SD] Treachery

Now, before you go and say something about him having both honor and treachery being unacceptable in 2E, as his ability to save your other Smugglers and Thieves from being stopped or killed, one could argue he represents a sort of "Honor Amongst Thieves," if you will.

Considering that his ability can make a focused Thief/Smuggler deck walk right through either a Quarren Labor Shortage and/or The Seen and the Unseen (albeit Mudd's owner still losing the 5 points and the dilemma's owner scoring the 5 points), I'd daresay it could justify having both contradictory skills, as he was the epitome of contradiction.

?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
ZodoJats wrote:2E:
I:4 C:6 S:5
[SD] Acquisition [SD] Anthropology [SD] Treachery

Just give him the basics so that we can keep his cost down.
+ [Stf] and you've got my vote. :thumbsup:

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
1E:

CIVILIAN
Once commanded (insert appropriate name for his ship here).
[Stf]
[SD] Greed x2 [SD] Smuggling

I'm not good with 1E attributes, so I'll leave that to someone else.

2E:

I can agree with the previously suggested:

[Stf]
Integrity 4 Cunning 6 Strength 5

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
ZodoJats wrote:2E:
I:4 C:6 S:5

Just give him the basics so that we can keep his cost down.
Agreed! Keep the cost down so he can be played a couple of times in a game. Going under + too high cost = not playable.

I'd like to know what the costing of him would be and where the breakpoint is. If he only can have 2 skills (Acq and Treachery) to keep the cost down another point, I'd be all for that.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
You guys will vote for the skills you want on the card(s). We'll make up a few different versions with different numbers of skills (at different costs / on different templates / different amount of room for lore), and then bring those back to you for a vote.

-crp

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
[SD] Acquisition [SD] Programming [SD] Treachery

INT: 4 CUN: 5 STR: 5

Acquisition: Because he was a businessman.

Programming: He reprogrammed the androids in I, Mudd.

Treachery: He was a dick.

INT: He wasn't nice, but wasn't as bad as others in the series.

CUN: He ran a business, but wasn't too bright.

STR: He seemed like a standard dude.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Since we're indirectly determining his cost at this point, we should really think about how that works with ability. I know some people already commented on that, but I feel that a 1-cost is too cheap for his ability, and would he be 2-cost with only 3 skills, he wouldn't really be used unless in a real games without Smuggler's, Thieves. So I feel 4 decent skills with reasonable attributes would be the best way to go for a 2 cost.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Harry did not exactly come across as a man of many skills: he was a small time con man, not Data. And keep in mind that this Harry card only needs to capture him during some part of the episode Mudd's Women, so it doesn't need to embody every ability he ever showed.

I could see him getting by with only three skills, especially if that would keep him at cost 2. He must have Acq. and Treach. Anthropology seems to be other skill most people so far would give him. And everyone so far seems to like 4 / 6 / 5 for his attributes. And a staffing star.

Hypothetically, if we were to give this iteration of Harry a fourth skill, what would it be? I'd say Diplomacy for his handling of Kirk, or Leadership for leading Mudd's Women. I mentioned Biology before, but I don't really think he had much knowledge of it, just access to a particular drug. Is everyone content with three skills plus an ability? The ability itself captures some of Mudd's various talents: by affecting other personnel it shows his "leadership" and by getting out of tight spots (dilemmas) it shows his "diplomacy." I really think this version would be fine with Acq / Anthro / Treach. No point in shoehorning another skill on him unnecessarily. :twocents:

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
WeyounsLastClone wrote:Since we're indirectly determining his cost at this point...
Not really. As Charlie already mentioned, in this poll we are only determining what skills you think Harry should have. We are not limiting the number of skills you can vote for. After this is done, we will prepare some version of the Harry Mudd card. A very cheap one that only has the one or two skills with the most votes. A more expensive one with the three or four skills with the most votes. A really expensive one with the five or six skills with the most votes. You then can decide which version should be the final one. (Numbers might change...)

First Edition will work similar. We will prepare a card with the standard template (3 lines of lore, only a few skills) and a version with the "new" template (2 lines of lore, a bunch of skills) and you can decide which version you want to have.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1e:
[SD] Smuggling (x2?)
[SD] Treachery
[SD] Greed
[SD] Anthropology
[SD] Cybernetics
[SD] Leadership
[Cmd]

Low INTEGRITY.
CUNNING of 10 or more

In order to accommodate the special skill, this card would have to go onto the "new" template. Some might say that 6 skills are a lot, but actually most of them are fairly useless (outside of certain specific decks) - there aren't that many dilemmas for example that actually require Smuggling, Greed or Cybernetics! (I know there are some, but they can usually be met with alternate requirements more easily).
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]