Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
InfiltratingFounder wrote:I noticed in the skills poll that 'CIVILIAN' was not one of the choices in the 1E version, so I assume we are just voting for skills and not his classification at this time, correct?
Either that or (my hope) is that CIVILIAN is already locked as the classification for 1E (really, what else can he be?)

Reading through the Memory Alpha page, though - I got the sense that he doesn't really have a lot of practical skills. So I stuck with the "con artist" suite (Treachery, Smuggling, Greed, Acquisition).

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E

CIVILIAN

[SD] Smuggling [SD] Treachery [SD] Greed

INT 4 CUN 8 STR 6

Pretty similar to what others have suggested. I gave him a little more cunning to represent his scheming ability.

Acquisition - He didn't seem all the successful or to ever end up with money.

Cybernetics - This skill basically means androids can report here. At first I thought he might deserve this, but after reviewing the episode plot I think he definitely does not. He had no control over the androids and was at their mercy.

Diplomacy - Possible skill, but like Acquisition I decided he didn't really deserve it. He was never that successful manipulating people or convincing them anything.

Tim

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
InfiltratingFounder wrote:I noticed in the skills poll that 'CIVILIAN' was not one of the choices in the 1E version, so I assume we are just voting for skills and not his classification at this time, correct?
Either that or (my hope) is that CIVILIAN is already locked as the classification for 1E (really, what else can he be?)
We are currently figuring out if any classification beside CIVILIAN would be suitable. If so, you will vote on the classification in one of the next polls.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Not to be a jerk, but would you be kind enough to assume that elect Answer is eqivilant to no in this case? I will vote for the skills I want, but you will really be trying my patience/sanity to put in a no for skills that I specifically don't want.

Faithful Reader

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Not to be a jerk, but would you be kind enough to assume that elect Answer is eqivilant to no in this case? I will vote for the skills I want, but you will really be trying my patience/sanity to put in a no for skills that I specifically don't want.

Faithful Reader
We will use the Yes answers to determine the results of this survey. So voting No and don't vote at all will have the same result.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
thsch wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:Not to be a jerk, but would you be kind enough to assume that elect Answer is eqivilant to no in this case? I will vote for the skills I want, but you will really be trying my patience/sanity to put in a no for skills that I specifically don't want.

Faithful Reader
We will use the Yes answers to determine the results of this survey. So voting No and don't vote at all will have the same result.
Hm, I thought Select Answer would be considered an abstention, that is, Yes would mean "Harry should have this skill", No would mean "Harry should not have this skill", and Select Answer would mean "I don't care if Harry has this skill"/"I'm of no opinion as to whether or not Harry should have this skill".

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:...
Hm, I thought Select Answer would be considered an abstention, that is, Yes would mean "Harry should have this skill", No would mean "Harry should not have this skill", and Select Answer would mean "I don't care if Harry has this skill"/"I'm of no opinion as to whether or not Harry should have this skill".[/quote]
OK, let me reformulate: We will use mainly the Yes answers to determine the results. In the (unlikely) case two skills have the same amount of Yes answers and the exact order will matter (i.e. only one skill can be on the card) we will use the fewest number of No answers as tiebreakers.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
thsch wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:...
Hm, I thought Select Answer would be considered an abstention, that is, Yes would mean "Harry should have this skill", No would mean "Harry should not have this skill", and Select Answer would mean "I don't care if Harry has this skill"/"I'm of no opinion as to whether or not Harry should have this skill".
OK, let me reformulate: We will use mainly the Yes answers to determine the results. In the (unlikely) case two skills have the same amount of Yes answers and the exact order will matter (i.e. only one skill can be on the card) we will use the fewest number of No answers as tiebreakers.[/quote]

So if there's a non-Barbering skill I'm dead set on him not having, then vote no? Got it!

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

Faithful Reader
Lol, the amount of time it would take to put No in all the boxes would probably be less than posting this reply. :shifty:

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Timo wrote:1E
Cybernetics - This skill basically means androids can report here. At first I thought he might deserve this, but after reviewing the episode plot I think he definitely does not. He had no control over the androids and was at their mercy.
I disagree. I believe he did take at least some part in reprogramming the androids - in particular the one of his wife. He obviously had help from that android guy (Norman?), but I presume he learnt something in the process. Given the number of androids in the episode, him being able to report them for free does seem appropriate IMO.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
If this version of Harry Mudd was from the android episode, I could agree with him having Cybernetics. This ability clearly stems from Mudd's Women, though, so I think his skills should likewise reflect that episode. In Mudd's Women, Mudd demonstrated no knowledge of cybernetics, and thus should not have that skill.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
GooeyChewie wrote:If this version of Harry Mudd was from the android episode, I could agree with him having Cybernetics. This ability clearly stems from Mudd's Women, though, so I think his skills should likewise reflect that episode. In Mudd's Women, Mudd demonstrated no knowledge of cybernetics, and thus should not have that skill.
But I thought 1E personnel were kind of "all-encompassing" versions of that personnel (rather than the "snapshot" versions of 2E)? If that is the case, then although he didn't demonstrate it, he should still have it, no?

For example: This Riker's from First Contact; although his doesn't go near his trombone in it, he's stll packing music.

Although, on the other side of the coin, Harry didn't really have a lot to do with programming the androids. If anything, he was a puppet of Norman, the android 'behind the curtain', so doesn't deserve any cybernetic kudos.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
There has to be some elemental of "snapshot" in 1E personnel. Otherwise, there's no real point in making different versions of personnel. Even though Riker never played music in First Contact, there's no reason to think he would have forgotten the skill. It makes sense that he would have it. But in Mudd's Women, Harry Mudd had yet to encounter the androids. He hadn't picked that skill up yet.

Maybe it's just that I'm way more used to 2E, but I don't see this Harry Mudd with Cybernetics.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Although with the main bridge crew, who may have several different cards (representing different personas) - each may reflect a "snapshot" to some degree.

However, with more minor characters who will realistically only get one card, it is naturally more 'all encompassing'. I think it is unlikely that we will ever get more than one version of Harry Mudd - we certainly don't need two - and so I believe he should have Cybernetics.

Otherwise, how far do you go with 'snapshots' - are they confined to a single episode? - The one where the picture is taken from?
Like premiere Gowron, where the image is actually taken from before he became Chancellor - does that mean he shouldn't have Leadership x2?

Or Grand Nagus Zek, whose picture is taken from a fairly early episode, before he had the orb experience - why then does he have the [Orb] icon?

Or Gaila? - This is hardly a 'snapshot', he has elements from the two episodes he was in, plus stuff that was attributed to him much earlier (the ship he gave to Quark).
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Regardless of whether he's a snapshot or not, I don't think Harry displayed any knowledge of or expertise in androids. He could ask them for things (e.g. build me an android that looks like my wife) but didn't know anything about how they worked himself.

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]