Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
While we are preparing different versions of the Harry Mudd card for you to vote on, we use the time for some more decisions.
You have to choose what staffing icon Harry will get, what his classification will be and if he should have a ship.
Discuss here, vote there!

Voting will stay open 'til Wednesday, January the 19th, 8AM EDT.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
One thing about the staffing icon: couldn't this be different in 1E and 2E? For instance, in 1E the Founder Leader received [Cmd] , while in 2E none of them received any staffing icon.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I would prefer not to tie Mudd to a ship. I'm not convinced we can get a good shot of the ship (we only see it being chased by the Enterprise before it explodes) and it doesn't get a lot of screen time.

But, I've been wrong before. Our art team does some amazing work. And if the people want him to have a ship... he shall have a ship. But my vote? It'll be no ship.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:I would prefer not to tie Mudd to a ship. I'm not convinced we can get a good shot of the ship (we only see it being chased by the Enterprise before it explodes) and it doesn't get a lot of screen time.

But, I've been wrong before. Our art team does some amazing work. And if the people want him to have a ship... he shall have a ship. But my vote? It'll be no ship.

-crp
I said yes to a ship (because we know which ship is his), but that doesn't mean it necessarily has to appear any time soon.

Of course, 1E has it easier - we can omit the ship on the character and tie it in on the eventual ship. 2E needs to decide it up front.

(For the other two, I said Command and CIVILIAN. I'd buy a Staff, but OFFICER? Not a chance - he's not remotely that organized.)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:I would prefer not to tie Mudd to a ship. I'm not convinced we can get a good shot of the ship (we only see it being chased by the Enterprise before it explodes) and it doesn't get a lot of screen time.

-crp
Even remastered? Not to get off topic, but there are some great shots there.

Doesn't this usually get run through the Art Department before making a decision, or vote to decide in this case.

Faithful Reader

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
I'd prefer not to tie him to a ship, but for a different reason.

I wouldn't say he commanded it well enough to really deserve a matching commander status.

By arcadian
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  

-crp
Mudd's starship was of the same type as the Aurora from "The Way To Eden," which was seen fairly clearly.

I voted for a ship. I agree, though, that he didn't command his ship very well his actions seemed like those of an unpracticed shipmaster. So, I don't think he should have a staffing icon. Actually, it might be nice if his ship required a smuggler or thief, rather than an icon (or an [OS] smuggler or thief).

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Iron Mike wrote:I'd prefer not to tie him to a ship, but for a different reason.

I wouldn't say he commanded it well enough to really deserve a matching commander status.
:thumbsup:

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Any chance we can get a progress report?
Well, there is not so much progress to report:
The current poll will stay active till the 19th of January. So far it is practically sure that Harry will become a Civilian (103 votes for Civilian, 0 for Officer) and has a ship (70 in favour of a ship, 33 against it). Staffing is a little bit more open (44 Staff, 37 Command, 23 None).
As soon as the poll is closed (and we had some days to prepare everything) you will vote on the final 1E and 2E card.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
thsch wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:Any chance we can get a progress report?
Well, there is not so much progress to report:
The current poll will stay active till the 19th of January. So far it is practically sure that Harry will become a Civilian (103 votes for Civilian, 0 for Officer) and has a ship (70 in favour of a ship, 33 against it). Staffing is a little bit more open (44 Staff, 37 Command, 23 None).
As soon as the poll is closed (and we had some days to prepare everything) you will vote on the final 1E and 2E card.
Thanks for the update. It looks like at least one person voted for the icon and nothing else.

Anyone else think it's odd that he can get commanding status of a ship but not any type of staffing icon?

Faithful Reader
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: Anyone else think it's odd that he can get commanding status of a ship but not any type of staffing icon?
Not especially. Commander implies as much ownership as anything else. Staffing icons are more general.

Now, if the ship requires a staffing icon that Mudd doesn't have, that would be a bit odd (but still not implausible.)

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
AllenGould wrote:Now, if the ship requires a staffing icon that Mudd doesn't have, that would be a bit odd (but still not implausible.)
It's been done before: Zek and the Aurulent. (I'm not saying it's right; just that it's been done before.)

Personally, I'm in the "Staffing Icon? :thumbsup: Commander? :thumbsdown: " camp.
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]