Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The final versions of Harry Mudd have been prepared and are awaiting your votes. Expensive, limited lore and a bunch of skills? Or cheap with only a few skills and more lore? Your choice!

Voting will stay open 'till Wednesday, February the 2nd, 8AM EDT.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
For 2E: Vote Option 1!!! :thumbsup: First, Harry doesn't really deserve any of the other skills, at least not as we saw him in Mudd's Women. Navigation? His ship blew up. Programming? Nope. He had the Venus drug, but he really didn't know much about biology. Is he a diplomat or does he have people skills (anthropology)? Maybe a little, but I think his salesmanship and fast-talking are represented by his Acquisition skill plus his ability. Second, he should be cheap so it will be easier to use his ability and then replay him. Third, I really want a character as flamboyant and outrageous as Mudd to have room for some lore!

Elect Option 1 to be the new 2E Harry Mudd!!! :D
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Triumph wrote:Elect Option 1 to be the new 2E Harry Mudd!!! :D
I voted for option 2, since 4 skills for 3 cost made more sense than 2 skills for 2 cost. Adding more over-powered 4 cost people with 6+ skills is bad for business.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
LORE wrote:I voted for option 2, since 4 skills for 3 cost made more sense than 2 skills for 2 cost. Adding more over-powered 4 cost people with 6+ skills is bad for business.
:thumbsup:

Shame about that Commander nonsense. :( (If it hadn't been for that, looks like we would've got a line of lore in.)
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Eh, relative to the baseline 2-cost version, you're paying 1 cost to get 2 additional skills. Or you go to the 4-cost version, and pay 2-cost for 4 additional skills. But consider his ability! Harry is going to run away anyway, so he won't be using the added skills, while his greater cost will make him harder to replay. Plus, I'd rather have lore over 2 more skills in this instance.

:D

On an unrelated note, it's really interesting to see what seems to be such a clear correlation between two skills and one cost-point, in terms of how the personnel is priced and designed.
Last edited by Triumph on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Danny wrote: Shame about that Commander nonsense. :( (If it hadn't been for that, looks like we would've got a line of lore in.)
The community has spoke: 72 wanted to include the ship, 36 did not want to include the ship. So we have the Commander keyword.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I voted for version 1 of both editions.

1E: The card looks clean, simple, and easy to use. We don't need a mega-tank.

2E: The 2-cost guy will be easier to continually toss under my deck and replay than a 3- or 4-coster.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Danny wrote:Shame about that Commander nonsense. :( (If it hadn't been for that, looks like we would've got a line of lore in.)
thsch wrote:The community has spoke: 72 wanted to include the ship, 36 did not want to include the ship. So we have the Commander keyword.
To incorrectly quote Mal Reynolds, "May have been [on] the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." :wink:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E: Version 2.

2E: Version 1.

It's the case of a cool character on screen that doesn't translate into much in the game skill-wise.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
SirDan wrote: 2E: The 2-cost guy will be easier to continually toss under my deck and replay than a 3- or 4-coster.
That's actually why I prefer the 3 coster.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
Foreman wrote:That's actually why I prefer the 3 coster.
My thoughts as well. At 2-cost, we may have to worry about abuse. At 3, we probably don't.

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I went with #3 for First Edition. #1 doesn't even have Acquisition (madness), while #2 looks quite slick with only two lines, four skills, and an ability. But I really think Harry deserves Anthropology. After all, it was his cultural understanding (and manipulative powers) that got him into power on the Android planet, not programming (Cybernetics) which is why #4 is excessive.

For Second Edition, I went with #2. Again, I think that Harry should have Anthropology. (He understood, culturally, what the mminers wanted most and then figured out a way to sell it to them, though it was available for free). But more to the point, he is way too easy to play at cost 2. Most cost two personnel in 2E are mediocre at best, cost 3 is where personnel start to be any good. The ability is one that I would like to use often, but I don't think it should be able to happen on the cheap.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
One caveat: all of these cards are subject to play testing. So even if a "cost 2" card wins, if it proves to be a problem in testing, then it may not be a cost 3 when it comes out. The costs listed above are estimates, not set in stone.

-crp

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:One caveat: all of these cards are subject to play testing. So even if a "cost 2" card wins, if it proves to be a problem in testing, then it may not be a cost 3 when it comes out. The costs listed above are estimates, not set in stone.

-crp
Nah, just leave it 'broken' and change it after it 'ruins' a worlds. :shifty:
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
ZodoJats wrote:Nah, just leave it 'broken' and change it after it 'ruins' a worlds. :shifty:
lol, I'd rather not!
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]