Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
I can see it now...2011, the year the BROKEN Harry Mudd / Smuggler / Thief ruined Worlds! :P
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Asside from aesthetics, is there any reason not to vote for a boatload of skills in 1E? Did anyone think this will be the best looking card in the game? Harry Mudd is on it for the love of all that is holy!

If the final cost turns out to be different, can we revote for an up/downgrade?

Faithful Reader

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Whatever the final vote, the card(s) will still have to endure playtesting, so why not choose a 1E version with more skills than less? Therefore, go with either version 3 or 4 in 1E.

If the card turns out to be too overpowered, it should come out in the wash during playtesting, and it can then be scaled back.

It is easier to delete what is too much than add what is too little.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Because my fondness for 1E comes more from its Trek Sense than its power. Harry Mudd in the show simply did not have all those skills -- so I voted for #2.

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Time for some intermediate results:

First Edition:
1. Option 2: 26
2. Option 4: 19
3. Option 3: 16
4. Option 1: 8

Second Edition:
1. Option 1: 23
1. Option 2: 23
3. Option 3: 12
4. Option 4: 8
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
who'syourdaddy? wrote:Whatever the final vote, the card(s) will still have to endure playtesting, so why not choose a 1E version with more skills than less? Therefore, go with either version 3 or 4 in 1E.
My thinking is two-fold:

- Mudd wasn't really a "skillful" person in his appearances, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to be All That Awesome in the regular skills department. (And we can always make Objectives for his various heists, ala Hero of the Empire or some such.)
- It's important to be mindful of escalation, particularly in the non-aligneds.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Mad Vulcan wrote:I went with #3 for First Edition. #1 doesn't even have Acquisition (madness), while #2 looks quite slick with only two lines, four skills, and an ability. But I really think Harry deserves Anthropology. After all, it was his cultural understanding (and manipulative powers) that got him into power on the Android planet, not programming (Cybernetics) which is why #4 is excessive.
I respectfully disagree.
I don't see why he deserves Acquisition. - The ability to obtain and retain items. What items has he obtained? He lost his ship, the drug and everything really. He may be a con-man (Greed) but that doesn't mean he's rich.

I'm not sure he deserves Anthropology either. - Knowledge of other cultures/societies. What knowledge does he possess exactly?

And again with Diplomacy, - Expert negotiator? - I think not. Cunning yes, but you couldn't really call him a diplomat.

My thoughts are this: For a Trek-sense point of view, I would go for Option 1 since I believe it reflects his character best. For a game point of view though, I would go with option 3 as that is clearly the most useful. - I don't think it's overpowered either as, let's face it, outside of Ferengi decks, Greed/Acquisition/Smuggling aren't particularly useful.

His special skill is quite powerful though (and I wouldn't be surprised it if gets downgraded during play-testing).

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Another update:

First Edition:
1.(1.) Option 2: 27 (+1)
2.(2.) Option 4: 20 (+1)
3.(3.) Option 3: 17 (+1)
4.(4.) Option 1: 9 (+1)

Second Edition:
1.(1.) Option 1: 27 (+4)
2.(1.) Option 2: 24 (+1)
3.(3.) Option 3: 12 (+0)
4.(4.) Option 4: 8 (+0)

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Zef'No wrote:I respectfully disagree.
I don't see why he deserves Acquisition. - The ability to obtain and retain items. What items has he obtained? He lost his ship, the drug and everything really. He may be a con-man (Greed) but that doesn't mean he's rich.
You have a valid point there, he is certainly more of a thief and a conman than a cunning businessman. He was never really able to invest his 'earnings' or buy/sell items to his advantage.
Zef'No wrote: I'm not sure he deserves Anthropology either. - Knowledge of other cultures/societies. What knowledge does he possess exactly?
Certainly not in the academic sense. I could agree with you here, he is certainly well traveled and wordly (universely?). Where to draw the line on cultural understanding, I'm not sure.
Zef'No wrote: And again with Diplomacy, - Expert negotiator? - I think not. Cunning yes, but you couldn't really call him a diplomat.
Couldn't agree more on this one, Mudd is no Diplomat. He has the diplomatic skills of Janeway (none).
Zef'No wrote: My thoughts are this: For a Trek-sense point of view, I would go for Option 1 since I believe it reflects his character best. For a game point of view though, I would go with option 3 as that is clearly the most useful. - I don't think it's overpowered either as, let's face it, outside of Ferengi decks, Greed/Acquisition/Smuggling aren't particularly useful.
I am still behind Option 2 (at the moment), but I would certainly prefer Option 1 to either 3 or 4 and would never choose to design a card just to make it 'good' within the game. It should make trek sense over anything else.
Zef'No wrote: His special skill is quite powerful though (and I wouldn't be surprised it if gets downgraded during play-testing).
I absolutely despise the special skill. All respect to those who voted for it, but this makes no trek sense at all. How did Mudd enhance women again? I don't recall Uhura having any benefit to Mudd being around. Why would he have a blanket female enhancement?

This skill would make far more sense on a verb card with a countdown icon that Mudd could download once per turn. I.E. if the countdown were two, then you could continually enhance 3 women by supplementing them with the 'venus drug' verb card. The player would then simply need to find a way to cycle said drug back into the deck so that Mudd could redownload it. He could supply said drug to Uhura, but never to more than three women at a time. As a blanket ability, it might be useful. It might even cause people to pull out Female based decks again. But it just isn't reasonable to me.

It is my opinion that the community wanted so much to make a card that was very useful that they disregarded trek sense entirely.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Only a few hours left to vote. Here are the current standings:

First Edition
1.(1.) Option 2: 27 (+0)
2.(2.) Option 4: 21 (+1)
3.(3.) Option 3: 17 (+0)
4.(4.) Option 1: 10 (+1)

Second Edition
1.(1.) Option 1: 27 (+0)
2.(2.) Option 2: 24 (+0)
3.(3.) Option 3: 12 (+0)
4.(4.) Option 4: 9 (+1)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The winners:

ImageImage

The cards will be sent to the playtesters shortly. While we are waiting for their feedbacks we will turn to the non-gameplay decisions.

Currently the art department is looking for good images of Harry Mudd. As soon as this is done you will get the chance to vote on your favourite one. Afterwards you can suggest and vote for the lore. And finally we need to decide what the name of Harry's ship will be and find a suitable subtitle for his Second Edition incarnation.

Once all this is done the playtesters hopefully will have finished their work and we can present the final Harry Mudd cards.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Thomas,

I know I'm probably jumping the gun here, but, I want to suggest "Dirty Rotten Scoundrel" as Harry's subtitle. (The con men comedy movie of the same name from the late '80's starring Steve Martin and Michael Caine just comes to mind when relating to Harry Mudd.)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
thsch wrote:Currently the art department is looking for good images of Harry Mudd. As soon as this is done you will get the chance to vote on your favourite one. Afterwards you can suggest and vote for the lore. And finally we need to decide what the name of Harry's ship will be and find a suitable subtitle for his Second Edition incarnation.
Item the first: Why must we wait for the art department? Yes we need an image eventually and the lore might follow that, but we can get work done in the meantime. I don't see the harm of working on the last bits first, unless this breaks some cardinal rule of design.

Second point, can we vote to offload the commander status/name to the ship? Yes, it can be done... in both editions.

Faithful Reader

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]