Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

Which direction should we choose for Harry Mudd (2E)?

A) The Slippery Weasel
22%
B) The Commodities Trader
38%
C) The Lady Killer
22%
D) The Jack-of-all-Trades Rogue
16%
E) None of the Above (Please post why!)
1%

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
chompers wrote:I feel that option one and two could be combined

Eg

Give command of a commodity eventin your core to opponent to avoid capture / death, etc

I voted two but one seems more thematic
:thumbsup:

By Chewie (Adam Hegarty)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mogh wrote:

Eg

Give command of a commodity eventin your core to opponent to avoid capture / death, etc

I like this. I'm guessing we're a bit early in the cycle to be going to far into this, but I would prefer that he he prevents the stop and capture of himself only and not prevent being killed. Thematically, it can be giving a bribe to avoid being detained for questioning (stopped) or arrested (captured).

By Walzo
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Quarter-Finalist 2019
Mogh wrote:

Eg

I'd also like a negative stat ability on your personnel present that don't have Smuggler or Thief.

My other Idea for Mudd would be an order where your opponent must give you command of a ship(becomes non-aligned) from there deck or discard pile, when he is at the same location as an opponent's ship; with another ability that if he is aboard a ship you don't own that has one or more damage on it with an opponents ship at this location, the ship he's aboard becomes under your opponents command (loses alignment change) and place him in your opponents brig.

Since in the episodes he was in, he's skills where equally weight against his ability to stuff things up, I would like it shown in his card persona.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
I voted Lady Killer, because, hey - it's about fembots, baby!

But seriously, I like the idea of a card that interacts with another card that is it's signature "verb" as it were. I would like to see more of that - i.e. the Stolen Cloaking Device downloading Engage Cloak. I have no idea how Mudd will interact with Mudd's Women, but I know the design team could come up with something cool.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'll admit I voted for commoditis not because it's mudd themed, but because I want more viability for commodities. I know nothing about Mudd, but triumph's arguement against him as a trader is fairly convincing.

I still want him to do commodities though, after all he is supposedly a trader.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Faithful Reader wrote:Isn't option 1 what got us here in the first place?

That being said, it looks like option 2 will be the winner.
1. No, it's not. The original version is easy to see at the top of Charlie's post, and it was it's a mass-stop prevention for thieves and smugglers by getting rid of Mudd, VERY different than Mudd himself trying to avoid trouble. Plus, if option 1 represents the broken text that got us here in the first place, it really makes Charlie look dumb for putting on the poll again. :wink:

2. The poll isn't over yet! Way to be fatalistic. :P

By Frimmel
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I don't like the commodities angle. The problem with version one seems to me that Harry should stop others to get himself out of trouble not get others out of trouble. You should make some sort of sacrifice of a thief or android to have Harry escape death, being stopped or gain skills.

How do we meet Harry: blowing up his own ship (more or less) to get away. He gives up the TOS crew to get away from the Androids.

He could do something to a leadership or [Cmd] personnel to get out of trouble.

Actually other than being a thief I don't see why Harry should have any interaction with thieves.

I also don't get the "Lady Killer" aspect. He was transporting/selling those women not scoring himself. Subtle but important distinction. I love the Mudd episodes but I'm sensing a bit too much romanticism around Harry.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Frimmel wrote:The problem with version one seems to me that Harry should stop others to get himself out of trouble not get others out of trouble.
I'm not sure if you mean the first (failed) version of Harry, or the option 1 of this poll, but I'll just point that option 1 of the poll says nothing about helping others, and sounds exactly like how you're describing Mudd on the show. :shifty:

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Frimmel wrote:I also don't get the "Lady Killer" aspect. He was transporting/selling those women not scoring himself.
I think "Lady Killer" is meant a bit more literally here. As in, someone who kills ladies. For profit, in this case.

By Frimmel
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Triumph wrote:
I'm not sure if you mean the first (failed) version of Harry, or the option 1 of this poll, but I'll just point that option 1 of the poll says nothing about helping others, and sounds exactly like how you're describing Mudd on the show. :shifty:

[NA] 2 •Harcourt Fenton Mudd (Honest Businessman)
[Stf] [Pa] Human
•Acquisition •Treachery
Commander: Hard Bargain. Smuggler. Thief. When any number of your Smuggler personnel or Thief personnel present are about to be stopped or killed by a dilemma, you may place this personnel on the bottom of his owner's deck to prevent that.
[INTEGRITY 4] [CUNNING 6] [STRENGTH 5]
In spite of all of our efforts (increasing cost, limiting the effect, etc.) he constantly came back from testing as too powerful.
I mean the failed version above. About to be stopped or killed and prevented seems to me getting peeps out of trouble. I'm not that experienced a player but it doesn't seem to me the failed version would be over powered if others were getting into trouble.

:? I suppose I do mean more like the new option 1 and have changed my vote.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I agree I like the Commodity idea as well. How about when you move an event over, give him an Order that will say when you do you can give him an affiliation of your choice (except Borg?)

This could be useful instead of adding skills, prevention of death/stop, etc.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
jss_hobbie wrote:I agree I like the Commodity idea as well. How about when you move an event over, give him an Order that will say when you do you can give him an affiliation of your choice (except Borg?)

This could be useful instead of adding skills, prevention of death/stop, etc.
I'm not sure if now's the time to begin speculating on actual text, as otherwise I'd have offered up my own idea already. (I'm hoping there will be a page going up soon after this poll closes where we can submit text for Design's consideration and eventually our voting.)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Just to be clear, we're just changing the special skill and maybe cost if need be. Affiliation, icons, attributes, title, keywords and skills are not changing.

Also, I am glad that this happened. I'm sure that it happens several times with non WotC cards and it was just a matter of time. We know that pushed back stuff can end up working, such as with the Children of Light.

By Seanshank
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I don't want to see anything with commodity on Mudd. Unity was the worse 2E set made. That being said i want Mudd to be something i WANT to use. What he had before Harry was *Cut* was fine. I feel his cost should be at least 4 or 5.

Unless i see something that WOWS me, What we had for Mudd was good enough for me, just change his cost.

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]