Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

Which direction should we choose for Harry Mudd (2E)?

A) The Slippery Weasel
22%
B) The Commodities Trader
38%
C) The Lady Killer
22%
D) The Jack-of-all-Trades Rogue
16%
E) None of the Above (Please post why!)
1%

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Seanshank wrote:Unless i see something that WOWS me, What we had for Mudd was good enough for me, just change his cost.
And apparently this was tested and still found to be too good.

Also, it's impossible to please everyone with every card.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I had voted for Commodities, but I changed my vote to "Lady Killer." I think it'd be fun if he somehow forced dilemmas to do extra random selections, which would increase your chances of having the appropriate personnel be randomly selected for Mudd's Women (or Ba'el, Naive Prisoner, or Chalan Aroya, Accessible Restauranteur, or Jadzia Dax, Soldier of Fortune, or any of several Leetas, or M'Pella, Seductive Employee, or Sakonna, Puzzled Interrogator... you may notice a theme there).

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
GooeyChewie wrote:I had voted for Commodities, but I changed my vote to "Lady Killer." I think it'd be fun if he somehow forced dilemmas to do extra random selections, which would increase your chances of having the appropriate personnel be randomly selected for Mudd's Women (or Ba'el, Naive Prisoner, or Chalan Aroya, Accessible Restauranteur, or Jadzia Dax, Soldier of Fortune, or any of several Leetas, or M'Pella, Seductive Employee, or Sakonna, Puzzled Interrogator... you may notice a theme there).
Nice. Could still combine with commodities ... Something like this

Give command of commodity to re select random selections

This kind of combines options A B and C

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
chompers wrote:
GooeyChewie wrote:I had voted for Commodities, but I changed my vote to "Lady Killer." I think it'd be fun if he somehow forced dilemmas to do extra random selections, which would increase your chances of having the appropriate personnel be randomly selected for Mudd's Women (or Ba'el, Naive Prisoner, or Chalan Aroya, Accessible Restauranteur, or Jadzia Dax, Soldier of Fortune, or any of several Leetas, or M'Pella, Seductive Employee, or Sakonna, Puzzled Interrogator... you may notice a theme there).
Nice. Could still combine with commodities ... Something like this

Give command of commodity to re select random selections

This kind of combines options A B and C
Hm. That would be quite a feat to fit on one personnel, but I wonder if that warrants splitting Mudd in two at that point. The easiest/laziest thing to do would be game text like: "When you play this personnel, you may download Mudd's Women." followed by whatever slippery/Commodity text anyone has in mind.

Still, it feels like it should all work together. Maybe something that triggers if a Commodity is on Mudd's Women, but that seems way way way too specific unless his ship lets you download Mudd's Women instead. I dunno.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
I think maybe people are trying too hard to figure out Mudd's exact gametext right now. That's not the goal of the poll. This poll is about choosing a general concept to fit the character, a broad direction for the character to go.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Triumph wrote:I think maybe people are trying too hard to figure out Mudd's exact gametext right now. That's not the goal of the poll. This poll is about choosing a general concept to fit the character, a broad direction for the character to go.
Speculation of what the gametext might look like may influence people's votes ... and some people asked to be influenced ... it makes sense to me that this thread should be full of specualtion - but that's just my take on it.

By Frimmel
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Just to be clear, we're just changing the special skill and maybe cost if need be. Affiliation, icons, attributes, title, keywords and skills are not changing.
If there aren't going to be any changes to his skills doesn't that sort of exclude option 4 from the get go?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I believe if we choose that option, his skills are subject to change.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Well, with two and a half more days to go, the Commodities Trader seems to be the favorite. Don't forget you can change your votes, so if someone has made a persuasive argument for or against an option, feel free to change which one you support!

I'm enjoying the discussions. Keep it up! Don't forget that questions are welcome too!

-crp
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Jack of All Trades Rogue sounds like Thadiun Okana.

Lady Killer sounds like a recipe for an unused card, just like the other cards in that theme.

Slippery Weasel sounds nice, but he never seems to be able to get out of trouble - his situation always winds up much worse in the end.

Commodities all the way for me.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
edgeofhearing wrote:Lady Killer sounds like a recipe for an unused card, just like the other cards in that theme.
I think the point would be to make those cards useful. That's why I mentioned the possibility of him generating extra random selections. I don't think he'd necessarily have to name Mudd's Women by name.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:Lady Killer sounds like a recipe for an unused card, just like the other cards in that theme.
I think the point would be to make those cards useful. That's why I mentioned the possibility of him generating extra random selections. I don't think he'd necessarily have to name Mudd's Women by name.
Oh, sure, he could be powerful enough to make Mudd's Women (and the like) playable; he'd just need to be unbalanced to do so. Mudd's Women needs more than one card to become a decent, fleshed out strategy. Commodities, on the other hand, are already a more interesting and fleshed out strategy; adding one new card to that theme (a non-aligned one at that!) won't be groundbreaking, but I think that's maybe not what we should be aiming for that here.

My general WoTC philosophy is that we probably shouldn't be aiming to turn a strategy around with one new card. All-Consuming Evil and Virtual Reality Headset tried to do that, with disastrous results on both sides. I'd much rather we aim to create a balanced card that fits in an already existing and reasonably well-developed theme, without trying to rock the boat too much.

Commodities are fun, but the pool is small. A new Acquisition 2-3 cost NA dude with some minor commodities-related ability would be automatically playable (in that theme of a deck). In a more established group (like, let's say, the Klingon affiliation as a whole), we'd need to fine tune the power level much more closely (very difficult in a democratic process) due to all the potential interactions and the risk of becoming binder fodder; but if we were to design a DQ-Klingon card, one whose ability only worked in a specific type of Klingon deck, that would be much easier/safer/likely to see play (at least in that type of deck).
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:Commodities are fun, but the pool is small.
I've got the feeling that if we do choose the commodity broker, we'll be led in a direction that design wants us to go, along with all the other commodity related stuff that's coming down the tailpipe.

Taht being said, I'm not entirely convinced that Mudd is the best for the job, particularly when there are others that can fill that niche. The Lady Killer in particular offers an option that you can't get the Cyrano Jones or Martus.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:Commodities are fun, but the pool is small.
I've got the feeling that if we do choose the commodity broker, we'll be led in a direction that design wants us to go, along with all the other commodity related stuff that's coming down the tailpipe.

Taht being said, I'm not entirely convinced that Mudd is the best for the job, particularly when there are others that can fill that niche. The Lady Killer in particular offers an option that you can't get the Cyrano Jones or Martus.
Since this is 2E, we can certainly have versions of Mudd focusing on various different aspects of his character.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
edgeofhearing wrote:Oh, sure, he could be powerful enough to make Mudd's Women (and the like) playable; he'd just need to be unbalanced to do so.
Why? I think we could make those cards playable without being unbalanced. All he really needs to do is increase the chances of those personnel being randomly selected.

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]