Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

Which version of Harry Mudd should go to testers?

Option A: Get Out of Trouble
39%
Option B: The Easy Life
21%
Option C: Provider of Female Company
39%

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Foreman wrote:As written I'm going for A.
As written, would you play A?
I might add him to a Ferengi thief deck ive been working on. The downside is that his ability depends entirely on my opponent playing a kill or capture pile. The other two would be put in every deck with commodities. Since its almost garunteed an opponent will play at least some dilemmmas that make random selections. But Im not sure it should be that easy to give your opponent commodities?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I like C for two reasons.
1) he is guaranteed commodity passing and I can't stress how badly I want this for my Ferengi.
2) He works with the various "pick me" girls.

That said, the wording is kind of poor. Is he adding a personnel to the pool pof possible selections or causing and additional personnel to be selected?

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Shanebrier wrote: That said, the wording is kind of poor. Is he adding a personnel to the pool pof possible selections or causing and additional personnel to be selected?
I assumed it was the first option. The second option would make him too good with Shran.

Can we get a clarification on that Charlie?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Foreman wrote:
Shanebrier wrote: That said, the wording is kind of poor. Is he adding a personnel to the pool pof possible selections or causing and additional personnel to be selected?
I assumed it was the first option. The second option would make him too good with Shran.

I thought the wording was pretty clear: you're including an additional personnel in the selection, not adding to the number of personnel selected.

Also, if I'm reading him right he would work against the random selections on AIoT/PD, so at the cost of getting another personnel stopped you have a pretty good shot at triggering whatever ability you want to use, and if that deters people from playing those ones that's a win in my book.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
A: While this text will only come into play against Capture and Kill decks. But I face enough of those to justify using this version of Harry Mudd. Kills and captures happen primarily while facing dilemmas, but the wording allows Mudd to bribe his way out of Kruge shooting him or the Cardassians Ensnaring him.

B: Eep. If you combine increasing your personnel's attributes and reducing dilemma/mission requirements, you can get a sort of double effect with this Mudd. I think the game needs less attribute stacking, not more.

C: Not bad, but fairly limited. The dilemma has to include a random selection, and even then it has to NOT include everybody. Yes, he can add your ladies to An Issue of Trust, Personal Duty and the like, but he does nothing when faced with Agonizing Encounter, Instigate Dissension and the like.

Overall, I like A the best. The skills sell me, because I like to use Expand Business Opportunities, but A's ability seems the most generically useful without being potentially abusive.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote:A: While this text will only come into play against Capture and Kill decks. But I face enough of those to justify using this version of Harry Mudd. Kills and captures happen primarily while facing dilemmas, but the wording allows Mudd to bribe his way out of Kruge shooting him or the Cardassians Ensnaring him.
Now you see, I HATE this kind of ability. firstly it only works if harry is being killed/captured. So it's already diluted to 1/7 (approx) of the power of for example hawkins then on top of that, a lot of the kill cards can be targeted to get around him unbelievable emergency, final adventure and necessary execution to name just a few. This makes personal kill prevention so much less useful than global and it makes me sad.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Ah, but he does the one thing Hawkins cannot do - he saves himself. You may have to use his ability to save him, or your opponent may try to avoid killing him, but either way, Mudd has protection. Since his skills fit a Commodities deck like a glove, Option A makes for a solid personnel. Not a "hey, build a deck around me" personnel, but an "I fit well in this decktype" personnel.

Plus, we have to keep in mind this personnel is a comparison to the other two. Option B could get crazy powerful and limits the possibility of getting new Commodities in the futre. Option C tries to serve two masters by requiring Commodities but benefiting random selection girls who do not necessarily work well with Commodities.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Foreman wrote:

He adds a personnel to the pool of selectable candidates. He does not change the number of personnel selected or what happens to them; he just makes someone else eligible. (He's a reverse Remat'aklan.)

-crp

By Gumbo
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Option A - seems like a solid card, having to stop Mudd means it has a limit on him. Can survive although wouldn't work against Casualties and the like.

Option B - the only limit seems to be the number of commodities - does this not limit design in future? should it be max of 3 or 5 so as to allow more commodities in future without creating an MVB friendly card. :twocents: No limits makes MVB happy.

Option C - if it wasn't for Shran I would vote for this card but with Shran this can make any random selection for a stop even maore dangerous. I like the idea of adding the women into the selections to make them more likely to hit but not Shran.

I know i'm a bit late but thought I would share my views anyway.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Iinm, looks like a second poll, involving options A and C will need to be run, as they garnered the same exact number of votes. Oh, where oh where is our CC Electoral College now? hmmm.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
One concern I have with C is complexity. You need Mudd, commodities, and people who like to get randomly selected. Some of the best people to get randomly selected (Union Leeta) aren't directly compatible with a Commodity deck (that presumably focuses on either Ferengi or Dominion). I'm just not sure all that stuff will go together well. I feel like people are just plucking random stuff that they want promoted (commodities, the personnel who give a benefit when randomly selected) and trying to stuff it all onto a card. I fear for the end result.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Triumph wrote:One concern I have with C is complexity. You need Mudd, commodities, and people who like to get randomly selected.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's my main reason for voting A instead of C. I like the idea of Harry Mudd dealing with Commodities. I like the idea of Harry Mudd altering random selections. I don't like squishing the two concepts together.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
We have submitted both Version A and Version C to our testers. We'll let them chew on those cards for a few weeks, and see if one version tests better than the other.

If not, then we'll have a run off vote to decide which version will be the final version! So stay tuned, collective members... your will will be done!

-crp
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation