Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

By JurgenP
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote: The issue here is in the first step. If everyone got to propose 3 cards, that would be a huge pile of ideas. I don't think Design would want to sort through all of them for the gems. Even at one card, as I proposed, there would still be a lot of cards to look at.
Yet they let us mail them 9 idea's for promo cards, shouldn't that be a similar pile of ideas?
It would just be a process of tallying the ideas, it wouldn't even have to be anyone from Design to do the tallying, just some keyboard slave :)

After the top (as in most suggestions, not best idea) 10, 15, whatever ideas have been tallied and selected. Design would create the gem to go with those X card titles ...

Afterwards the collective decides on which they want (most) ...

Jurgen

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
JurgenP wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote: The issue here is in the first step. If everyone got to propose 3 cards, that would be a huge pile of ideas. I don't think Design would want to sort through all of them for the gems. Even at one card, as I proposed, there would still be a lot of cards to look at.
Yet they let us mail them 9 idea's for promo cards, shouldn't that be a similar pile of ideas?
It would just be a process of tallying the ideas, it wouldn't even have to be anyone from Design to do the tallying, just some keyboard slave :)

After the top (as in most suggestions, not best idea) 10, 15, whatever ideas have been tallied and selected. Design would create the gem to go with those X card titles ...

Jurgen
The difference with promos is that those are cards that have already been designed. It's a lot less work to tabulate card titles out of e-mails and see which reprints people want most than to go through and read every single idea for a new card, even if people are submitting 18 titles in the first and only one idea in the second.

By JurgenP
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:[quote="JurgenP"

Jurgen
The difference with promos is that those are cards that have already been designed. It's a lot less work to tabulate card titles out of e-mails and see which reprints people want most than to go through and read every single idea for a new card, even if people are submitting 18 titles in the first and only one idea in the second.[/quote]

I think you don't understand where I'm heading with this.
The people don't get to submit an idea, just a card name ...

Design works out the ideas after they have been tallied ...

Jurgen

-  
JurgenP wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
JurgenP wrote:

Jurgen
The difference with promos is that those are cards that have already been designed. It's a lot less work to tabulate card titles out of e-mails and see which reprints people want most than to go through and read every single idea for a new card, even if people are submitting 18 titles in the first and only one idea in the second.
I think you don't understand where I'm heading with this.
The people don't get to submit an idea, just a card name ...

Design works out the ideas after they have been tallied ...

Jurgen
In that case, why have us vote at all? Design takes the titles, makes cards out of those which it thinks it can make cards and we see them variously in future sets. I think that defeats the purpose of WotC.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Thanks to all of you for this great thread and great discussion! It's encouraging, so keep posting your ideas for how we can improve Will of the Collective in the future.

At this point, I don't know if we'll do another one or not. I really like the idea of community involvement and I don't think any of the previous cards were truly poor cards. (They had issues, but that's because Design didn't want to "rain on the parade" too much; that won't happen again.) Will of the Collective was inspired by Magic's idea of "You Make the Card" and they have a much bigger community of voters to pull from. Combined with the fact that successive WotC saw a noticeable decline in participation, I'm not sure this project is the way to go in the future.

So, long story short is that we don't know. I have a lot of fun with this process and I think it's great to see the debates and discussions. I really want to see more ideas and suggestions for how we can improve the process or find different ways to solicit input from the community.

-crp
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote:Combined with the fact that successive WotC saw a noticeable decline in participation, I'm not sure this project is the way to go in the future.

Can we have random cookies for participating a la MiS?

-  
Idea:

WotC IV will develop a 1E and a 2E card of the personnel who wins 2013 Trek Madness, under restrictions.

For 1E, the skills must fit in a 2-line skill box, so no excessively lengthy special skills. Further, any special download must be of a preexisting card.*

For 2E, the skills, keywords** and abilities must fit on an AP, so, again, no excessively lengthy abilities.

Thoughts?

EDIT: *If matching commander status is given, the referenced ship must already exist.

**If a Commander: <ship> keyword is given, the referenced ship must already exist.

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]