Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!

Would you like to see another Will of the Collective?

Yes, no matter what.
16%
Yes, but only if it's better regulated.
27%
I don't care.
12%
No, it's just not worth it.
25%
No, no matter what.
20%

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Maybe instead of a full blown WotC, we should change the policy on poaching good ideas from the dream cards forums? I understand how that policy made sense when decipher was making the game, but now that there is no money being made from design, I'm willing to bet that the people who post on that forum would be 100% willing to let their ideas be used.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I give universal permission to the CC to poach my dream cards. I would not mind.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Foreman wrote:Maybe instead of a full blown WotC, we should change the policy on poaching good ideas from the dream cards forums? I understand how that policy made sense when decipher was making the game, but now that there is no money being made from design, I'm willing to bet that the people who post on that forum would be 100% willing to let their ideas be used.
It's my understanding that there's no such policy under the CC. That was just a Decipher thing.

This citation is admittedly several years old, but Charlie said as much here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10286

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
commdecker wrote:
Foreman wrote:Maybe instead of a full blown WotC, we should change the policy on poaching good ideas from the dream cards forums? I understand how that policy made sense when decipher was making the game, but now that there is no money being made from design, I'm willing to bet that the people who post on that forum would be 100% willing to let their ideas be used.
It's my understanding that there's no such policy under the CC. That was just a Decipher thing.

This citation is admittedly several years old, but Charlie said as much here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10286
The first point that he makes is that designers don't usually look at the dream boards. He also does mention that this is an unwritten rule.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
What if we did... Will of the Collective... set?

Only we could do a joke set along the lines of Magic's "unglued" (so who cares about balance, it's about silly fun & injokes - fitting for WotC) or (what I really want) a multiplayer set.

Why not? The game has rules for any number of players, so why not some stuff that encourages 3, 4, or 5+ players? (also, doesn't matter how much we break them since they were never planned on being tournament legal)

Stir Crazy that targets an opponent and lets them draw extra dilemmas and add them to the current mission.

Render Assistance that allows another player's ship or away team to join yours for a mission attempt (helping player gets maybe 15, 20 pts for helping if successful).

Consume dilemma that consumes dilemmas from another player's pile.

New battle card that doesn't stop you, but only one battle per player per turn.

I don't know, just seems like there's still plenty of space for WotC to play in, just not on the official roads, know what I'm sayin'?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Nate Winchester wrote:What if we did... Will of the Collective... set?

Only we could do a joke set along the lines of Magic's "unglued" (so who cares about balance, it's about silly fun & injokes - fitting for WotC) or (what I really want) a multiplayer set.

Why not? The game has rules for any number of players, so why not some stuff that encourages 3, 4, or 5+ players? (also, doesn't matter how much we break them since they were never planned on being tournament legal)

Stir Crazy that targets an opponent and lets them draw extra dilemmas and add them to the current mission.

Render Assistance that allows another player's ship or away team to join yours for a mission attempt (helping player gets maybe 15, 20 pts for helping if successful).

Consume dilemma that consumes dilemmas from another player's pile.

New battle card that doesn't stop you, but only one battle per player per turn.

I don't know, just seems like there's still plenty of space for WotC to play in, just not on the official roads, know what I'm sayin'?
It's not a bad idea in a vacuum (I.e., on its own merits) but the issue I see is one of opportunity cost. Any time design/playtesting/rules/CC members/etc. spend on this effort would be time taken away from the next 1e/2e/Tribbles sets. I'd rather keep things rolling with "real" sets than devote scarce volunteer resources to supporting a "fun" set.

That said, if you can solve the opportunity cost problem in a way that makes sense, I'd be inclined to support the idea.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: It's not a bad idea in a vacuum (I.e., on its own merits) but the issue I see is one of opportunity cost. Any time design/playtesting/rules/CC members/etc. spend on this effort would be time taken away from the next 1e/2e/Tribbles sets. I'd rather keep things rolling with "real" sets than devote scarce volunteer resources to supporting a "fun" set.
I guess I misunderstood because I thought WotC was largely community driven in the first place. How much were official peeps involved?
Armus wrote:That said, if you can solve the opportunity cost problem in a way that makes sense, I'd be inclined to support the idea.
I didn't know we needed any top brass involved. Heck now that some of us on the dream cards board got MSE working for 2e we don't even need art, we can mock up cards for print & play. Community tested, community approved?

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I'll have to check. I'm unsure if I inherited this in some capacity when I became 1E Brand Manager. But otherwise I would guess Midnightlich knows. =)

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
=) I think he sees it all. He just has lots to respond to.

Hi guys, maybe a totally stupid question ... I h[…]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]