Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
The Will of the Collective series is an opportunity for the Star Trek CCG community to help design a card... collectively. There have been three Second Edition cards produced this way: All-Consuming Evil, Virtual Reality Headset, and Harcourt Fenton Mudd. First Edition players also produced a Harcourt Fenton Mudd, but have also created a Joran in February (this card is planned for release in an expansion that is due in late 2018/early 2019).

Cards prior to Joran were produced in a long-form format that involved lots of deliberation and debate, but Joran was something different. Through a series of forum polls, running from January 1/17 through February 2/9, Joran's characteristics were quickly and efficiently decided. It was fun to participate in, and produced an interesting card for a character for that may not have otherwise been made.

Today, Will of the Collective returns to Second Edition, with a similar format. We're going to make a Shelby! Well, not Shelby in particular, we've already got one her. But we're going to make a personnel like Shelby - unique, with skills, attributes, icons, and maybe keywords, but no ability. Shelby is perfectly useful without an ability, and abilities are where prior Wills of the Collective have gotten bogged down. As with Joran, we're going to keep this project fast and fun.

The normal disclaimers apply: after we make this card, it will still need to go through playtesting, just like any other card. And, like Joran, it will need to wait its turn for a set to come out in after playtesting is done. Even the production of a simple personnel without an ability can get messy!

In this thread, I'll be collating all the results from the different stages of the card design process. Today (9/4/2018) we'll start by nominating characters. Most nomination and voting processes will be allotted about one day, but I'm going to give character nominations two days (a) because it's important and (b) so that people who check the forums less regularly will have more of a chance to get their say.

1. 9/4 Character Nominations
2. 9/6 Character Voting Round 1: Heat 1, Heat 2, and Heat 3.
3. 9/7 Character Voting (Final) - Dr. Selar, Hawk, and Sirella advanced.
4. 9/8 Final Runoff - Hawk wins.
5. 9/9 Affiliation Voting - Borg wins.
6. 9/10 Attribute Voting - Integrity (5), Cunning (5), and Strength (6).
7. 9/11 Skill Nominations.
8. 9/12 Skill to Cost Ratio Vote - Hawk will cost 2 and have 5 skills.
9. 9/13 Skill Vote - Hawk will have Astrometrics, 2 Navigation, Officer, and Security.
10. 9/14 Icons Vote - Staff icon wins.
11. 9/15 Keywords Vote Hawk will be a Drone.
12. 9/16 Name Vote - Hawk will be Hawk.
13. 9/17 Subtitle Vote - Reborn wins.
14. 9/18 Image Vote - Post-reveal 2 wins.
15. 9/19 Lore Vote - "You may encounter..." wins.
16. 9/20 Conclusion.

[Bor] (2) •Hawk, Reborn
[Stf] Borg
[SD] Astrometrics [SD] 2 Navigation [SD] Officer
[SD] Security
Drone.
"You may encounter Enterprise crewmembers who've
already been assimilated. Don't hesitate to fire. Believe
me you'll be doing them a favor."

Integrity 5 Cunning 5 Strength 6

And the final result:
Last edited by edgeofhearing on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
edgeofhearing wrote:Most nomination and voting processes will be allotted about one day, but I'm going to give character nominations two days (a) because it's important and (b) so that people who check the forums less regularly will have more of a chance to get their say.
Has this been promoted on the social mediaz?
 -  
Community Contributor
Danny wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:Most nomination and voting processes will be allotted about one day, but I'm going to give character nominations two days (a) because it's important and (b) so that people who check the forums less regularly will have more of a chance to get their say.
Has this been promoted on the social mediaz?
I know Dan posted about it on Social Media when the initial article went up in August, but I just dusted off my Facebook account to make a post about it now too. I also have a (very brief) announcement article queued for publication.
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
Wouldn't it be better if we put the whole process into the Will of the Collective area on the boards?
 -  
Community Contributor
Clerasil ToB wrote:Wouldn't it be better if we put the whole process into the Will of the Collective area on the boards?
I was following the lead of WOTC IV, which was done on the First Edition Gameplay boards. Personally, I think the WOTC boards are a little out of the way for the level of traffic we have, and I think it's a good thing to have fun, positive stuff to post about on the Second Edition Gameplay boards.

If we were going to be getting in to bigger debates about the ability text that might drag on as previous WOTC efforts have, then I think the WOTC boards might be better, but from here on out I don't think there's any element of the card that will take more than a day of nominations and a day of voting.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
The plan for WotC IV was to eventually move them to the Will of the Collective subforum, as an archive. I don't see any reason why we can't do that here, too.

-crp

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Un-stickying this, but wanted to thank Lucas on a great job!
Indeed!!
 -  
Community Contributor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:Un-stickying this, but wanted to thank Lucas on a great job!
Indeed!!
Thanks guys, though the real credit should go to the community. We had lots of good ideas and debate, and I'm quite happy with the result.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
edgeofhearing wrote:Thanks guys, though the real credit should go to the community. We had lots of good ideas and debate, and I'm quite happy with the result.
Warning: Positive Affirmation ahead!

I agree, but don't sell yourself short. I'm aware of the work needed behind the scenes to get this up and running and that's setting aside that fact that you needed over two two weeks worth of consecutive days to make sure you were able to moderate. You were on top of the process form start to finish and made sure that the posts had good content in addition to being on time. You followed Charlie's lead from the First Edition version of this and while I can't speak for him, you did a great job that I am very much impressed by.

Plus, when we do incorporate the card into a set, it's going to be hard to put everyone's name on the cover sheet. :wink:

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Who am I to contradict Faithful Reader. After all he´s nailed it perfectly.

Cheers

Nerdo

Hi guys, maybe a totally stupid question ... I h[…]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]