Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Will of the Collective III is coming in 2010, and it will be hosted by the 2008 World Champion, Kevin Jaeger. We'd like to hear your thoughts on what you liked (and didn't like) about WoTC2 and what you'd like to see for the next one.

-crp

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
WotC Deconstruction:

Preface: I thought WotC2 went as well as could be expected, but I think there is room for improvment.

The Pitch: I'd like the opportunity to have my concept reviewed. For instance, something batted about for a while now: "Alternate Win Game Condition". If scoped correctly, concept submissions could go well (better than previously). I'd suggest the following ground rules:
:arrow: Concepts can be either:
:arrow: :arrow: a one or two icon combo (such as: [Baj] [AU] or [Int] [Maq] )
:arrow: :arrow: a one (possibly two) liner such as: "Weapon of Mass-Destruction" or "a 20th Century incursion"
Then presented to the community for vote (voting discussed below)

Decision 2: Card Type
I hope we all agree that the card type decision was the most painful in WotC2. I'd like to see this selected either as a part of The Pitch, or immediately following.

Decision 3: Affiliation (if needed)
After Card Type, if Personnel or Ship is selected, an Affiliation should be voted upon. (if not already selected)

Decision 4: Focus The Pitch into a Concept
Now comes the paragraph ideas for the card. How does the card fit into Trek? One rule here would be: NO GAME MECHANICS. You could allude to them (such as: A Future Enterprise visits the Past) but no specific language (such as: A [Fut] [TOS] U.S.S. Enterprise visits [E] )

Decision 5: Turn Concept in Game Mechanics
Icon modifiers, skills, game text. The kicker here would be to get each idea costed by the powers that be BEFORE finally submitted, though this may not be possible. We submit the game mechanics, you cost out the card, then we vote on the pairing.

Decision 6: The Title
It should be fairly obvious what the card will be by this point, but maybe not. Regardless, there should still be room for debate on the Title.

Decision 7: The Art
Art drives Title? Title drives Art? These two could be swapped based on the development of 1 though 5.

Decision 8: The Lore
And finally: the quip

Now as far as voting, I would recommend a little more clarification of the obvious: lobbying can change the outcome of the vote. your vote is not set into stone until the voting period has expired. This will help to swing votes toward the most popular two choices, where the most popular will win. Knowing this up front will help ease ruffled feathers. I do not agree with "run-offs". The ability to change your vote negates the need for a runoff.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Although the "launching points" takes some of the process out of the collective's hands, I believe they make the process much smoother, and thus should be kept. I think the only real issue we had last time was the fact that some people didn't realize they could change their votes within the time limit, but that can be corrected by announcing it upfront.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
First off, kudos to Kevin for taking the reins.

I would like to see a noun.

WOTC had a Dilemma and WOTC had a verb. In terms of exposing the masses to different elements of the design proecss, it would come down to either a noun or a mission. And I want a noun.

This isn't to disagree with the point that this will take some of the will out of the collective.

Also, I would like to throw the cart at the board to determine cost. :D

Faithful Reader
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Faithful Reader wrote:First off, kudos to Kevin for taking the reins.

I would like to see a noun.

WOTC had a Dilemma and WOTC had a verb. In terms of exposing the masses to different elements of the design proecss, it would come down to either a noun or a mission. And I want a noun.
*scratches head*

I thought Equipment were nouns.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
*scratches head*

I thought Equipment were nouns.
At several point the card that became headsets could ahve been an Event.

Also, in my little imaginary unicorn-filled world, nouns have attributes :D

Faithful Reader

Should have specified a ship or personnel.
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
Faithful Reader wrote: Also, in my little imaginary unicorn-filled world, nouns have attributes :D
Looking through my glasses, nouns are things or people, and both ships and equipments are things. Although when talking about the new printing proxy policy, some people in TCC have said nouns when they mean only personnel and ships.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Well, WotC2 gave birth to a nice card. Anyway, I would prefer having no restrictions on a specifical theme. A wider range of choices, maybe even a vote on the card type (as in WotC1), would be better. :twocents:

As regards the voting system, I fully second what wweist said in his post.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
I think the entire process needs to be more structured. Designing a card as a community is fine, but WotC II went completely against card design up to this point because it took what by all accounts should have been an event and put it on an equipment card, which made no sense at all.

Just because the masses want something done a certain way, doesn't make it right or consistent with what's always been done. We as a group can push the envelope in a multitude of ways, but altering what card types do what is an area I'd rather not delve into again.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:I think the entire process needs to be more structured. Designing a card as a community is fine, but WotC II went completely against card design up to this point because it took what by all accounts should have been an event and put it on an equipment card, which made no sense at all.
I think that had something to do with all the event destruction currently running through the game.

By shagg08 (Michael O'Shogay)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Any news Kevin or Charlie on when WOTC III is going to start up?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
WoTC III will most likely start either shortly before the end of MIS or immediately after its over. It would be good for the community at large to get as much knowledge from the MIS contest as possible before we start WotC III.

The hope is to make WotC III the best one yet! Plus, it might be better to take these great community building exercises and spread them out over time instead of blowing the proverbial load all at once.

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]