Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!
  • 99 posts

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Welcome back to Will of the Collective III!

Let me once again thank you for your participation in our initial brainstorming. We received a huge number of very interesting suggestions, so creating a short list was not an easy task.

Following a wish that a lot of you expressed you will find only a few characters on this list that already have a card. Most of them will be brand new both for First and Second Edition!

So without any further ado here are the nominees for "Character to be made into the Will of the Collective III card":

Beata, Ruler of the matriarchy of Angel I
Data, Not pinocchio, not a battelship officer, not a loyal brother and for sure not from the city of Rateg
Gabriel Bell, Hero of history, Ben Sisko look-alike
Harry Mudd, Smuggler, thief, con artist, "ruler" of his planet
Jake Sisko, Writer, reporter, fastest growing human on DS9
Norman, Infiltrating crewman, ruler of Mudd's planet, easily distracted by human illogic
Reginald Barclay, Diagnostic engineer, holo-addict, hypochondriac, father of his own disease
Stephen Hawking, Poker playing genius
Tiron, Impressed by Kira's body, not impressed by Quark's head
S.S. Botany Bay, Khan's sleeper ship
U.S.S. Defiant (Constitution Class), Available in all known universes and most times
U.S.S. Relativity, Protector of the timeline

Public voting will start tomorrow. Up to then fell free to discuss the suggestions and lobby for the ideas you have suggested!

EDIT: Voting is now open and will be possible till Wednesday, September the 8th, 12PM EDT.
Last edited by thsch on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pretty solid choices there. I am currently torn between most of them. I am obviously against Data, Murdock, and Jake as we have many versions of those in both editions.

I'm always a big fan of ships:

S.S. Botany Bay = awesome. Should be an artifact in 1E working somewhat like Cryosatellite. We will just need more of Khan's kinsmen.

U.S.S. Defiant = we saw many great examples of this in MiS. Mirror Starfleet trumps regular Starfleet by a lot.

U.S.S. Relativity = Perhaps a quick and easy way to hop between Time Locations. Only trouble is that it would be Federation specific, and they need no more love. Klingon Time Location decks have can fairly easily get a Fed/Kli treaty out. We just need more love for Romulan time travel.

But then again, people:
Tiron + played by Jeffrey Combs and would be Non-aligned, enough said.
Norman = I love androids and this would also be a non-aligned personnel. Adding another droid could be troublesome.
Harry Mudd = great character, a lot of room for an interesting ability here. Plus non-aligned.
Beata = clearly neglected from the TSoP 2E set. Would be cool if designed specifically for the Female only 1E deck type. I love a strong woman.
Gabriel Bell + I'd much rather see this as Gabriel and not another Sisko persona. New Time Location anyone?
Stephen Hawking = too awesome to ever happen. The man, the legend. This would be sweet if he somehow manipulated Black Hole. Plus, one could dream of getting it signed!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Harry Mudd - A Smuggler and a Thief, yes please!

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Hawking.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Just curious: what criteria were used to determine the acceptability of a suggestion?

Also, the Relativity.

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm a bit disappointed my selection (One) isn't there, but hopefully that means one (heh) is already on the way.

My thoughts (from a purely 2E standpoint):
Beata: She's a relatively minor character. This is a pro and con - pro, in that she can do pretty much whatever you want then, con, in that I don't really care too much whether she's a playable card or not. I guess I'd be fine with her, but I'm not inspired.
Data: Sure, I love data. Right now I play Lucasian Chair frequently, Borg Data in Borg, and very occasionally Loyal Brother (though he usually doesn't make much of a difference). I would like to see a Data that you pay 5 for and actually has a useful (and cost worthy) ability.
Gabriel Bell: He's a pretty cool character. Similar in vein to Anastasia.
Harry Mudd: I've never been super into TOS. I know Mudd is a big fan favorite, just not for this fan.
Jake Sisko: Engineer's Apprentice is pretty good, although is very deck specific. I could go for another Jake, but I'm not fussed.
Norman: Never heard of him, so I have no interest in making him a card.
Reginald Barclay: The current TNG barclay isn't actually that bad, though isn't used often. I wouldn't mind a First Contact or Voyager barclay though, I'd go with it.
Stephen Hawking: A bit gimmicky in my mind. He would be open to a lot of abilities, so there is a lot of flexibility there.
Tiron: Ditto Beata.
S.S. Botany Bay: Could be fun. Khan's a classic. It wasn't a particularly powerful ship or anything though. A report with crew function? I dunno.
U.S.S. Defiant (Constitution Class): I don't have any interest in seeing this made. I'm not against it, I just don't care too much. Starfleet has got a lot lately, so I don't think it needs another buff.
U.S.S. Relativity: I love the episode, I love the ship, great option! My biggest concerns are making it compatible with future Relativity personnel (I guess they could just say 'May play aboard Relativity' and have no other icons), making it playable in Voyager, but not just voyager (unlike the Dauntless), and of course letting it do something cool.

Overall, I'm voting for the U.S.S. Relativity. It has a lot of potential for very cool abilities, and could be played in a lot of decks if done right (it could even be played in all non-Borg decks and it still might make sense, but even just all Fed decks is a lot).

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
:thumbsdown: Beata, Data and Jake (too many already existing versions of these two), Gabriel Bell, Tiron, Norman, U.S.S. Relativity (it could fit, only together with its crew, not as a stan.alone card)
:thumbsup: Barclay ("Howling Mad" Murdock got near to no love in 2nd edition), Hawking (he deserves a place in this game), Mudd (beloved character, though the rights on his images are still out of range, aren't they?), Botany Bay (just a word: Khaaaaan!), USS Defiant (with two versions, [TOS] and [SF] , it could be multiaffiliation, like the Prometheus).
Hard choice, indeed.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Speaking as a somewhat casual fan, and what I mean is I've never watched an entire 'trek series and can probably count on one hand the number of DS9 episodes I've seen in my life, my vote would go for "Harry" Mudd.

I recognize him as a recurring character in the handful of TOS episodes I have seen (thus he's not totally unknown to the casual viewer as some of these choices are), like the fact that he's a character we have never done, like that he could be made into a non-aligned personnel making him widely acceptable to most of the affiliations, and if memory serves he personally has already signed off on the use of his image (since I vaguely recall seeing him on a 1E or 2E card or two previously.) Another thing to consider for this competition is that collectively making a ship will take a lot less time than a personnel will, since ships are pretty straight forward whereas with personnel you have a vast array of potential skills to choose from plus the possibility of giving them some sort of ability.

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Voting is now open and will be possible till Wednesday, September the 8th, 12PM EDT.
Last edited by thsch on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
deciusmaurus wrote:Mudd (beloved character, though the rights on his images are still out of range, aren't they?)
Negative. Any characters that were in a grey area, image-wise, were excluded from the poll.

-crp

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
Choose 1 out of a list of 12 should probably end up with a pretty even spread & not necessarily a clear winner. In the future, perhaps the first vote should be to create a top 2, 3, 4, etc. Or maybe a bracket poll since that does decent job showing a top choice.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I'm torn between Harry Mudd and Stephen Hawking. Both would make excellent cards.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Mugato wrote:Choose 1 out of a list of 12 should probably end up with a pretty even spread & not necessarily a clear winner. In the future, perhaps the first vote should be to create a top 2, 3, 4, etc. Or maybe a bracket poll since that does decent job showing a top choice.
Run off votes were very unpopular in WotC2. In addition, we'll be providing daily updates on which options are winning, so that people can a) change their votes and b) be persuaded by arguments made here.

-crp

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
deciusmaurus wrote:Mudd (beloved character, though the rights on his images are still out of range, aren't they?)
Negative. Any characters that were in a grey area, image-wise, were excluded from the poll.

-crp
If Mudd's picture is allowed then I am all for him. He could be a great card in 1e, and in 2e as well...

Second would be Barclay, fun character..

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]