Home of the third annual You Make The Card contest, where the community designs a card for an upcoming Virtual Expansion!
  • 99 posts

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I went with Gabriel Bell. I was kind of disappointed with the choices. I'm not too excited to see the development of another TNG, TOS, or VOY personnel. I would have liked to see some personnel of the lesser played affiliations like [Dom] and [Baj] get some attention.

:twocents:

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
ltkettch17 wrote:I would have liked to see some personnel of the lesser played affiliations like [Dom] and [Baj] get some attention.
Then you should have nominated a personnel from one of those affiliations... ;-) I can't see a single personnel fitting that bill amongst the long-list of all suggestions made, sorry.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Hmm. Good point about the 1E ship - I hadn't consider that. Anything cool would have to be a special download.

I'm changing my vote back to MC Hawking.

Give the man music, and I'll smile every time I play him.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Thinking out loud, as a 1E player:

Beata: Non-aligned leader, probably gets a boost to stats when no males present. Maybe she'll double Matriarchal Society. Possible.

Data: No thanks, got enough of them.

Gabriel Bell: Well, if it's pre-accident, then he's got nothing going for him. In the current timeline (which may have been the only one), he's just a guy who died. And if it's post-accident, then Gabriel Bell is Sisko, and in 1E should be a version of that persona (just like Lt. Sisko). And I think we've got enough of him, too.

Harry Mudd: This shows promise. I see something like ... stats +1 for each female present (I suppose with a limit), and something about androids, maybe Cybernetics. Non-Aligned, or course. Perhaps Acquisition or Smuggling, which would make him a Cargo Bay download. Plus, a TOS icon, so his regular skills will be shareable. That's a win.

Jake Sisko: He's a nice kid, but a card wouldn't be too exciting. On the plus side, he'd automatically interact nicely with Stembolts, MTD, and CoC Sisko. Now, I would like to see a "Future Jake" card (a la 2E's Temporal Anchor), but 2E already has him, and since this will be developed simultaneously for both versions, I don't see us ending up with that Jake. Pass.

Norman: TOS NA android. Perhaps a <fed> infiltrator? That's all good, though doesn't stand out otherwise.

Barclay: He's got three 1E cards already, which gives us just about every incarnation of him we've seen. The one that's left, that I'd like to see, is the hologram which was stolen by the Ferengi. Maybe it would be a Ferengi card, with <fed> infiltration. I'm probably not going to vote for him in this round on the off chance that the later votes will go in this direction, but if he wins then I'll campaign for this aspect.

Hawking: A neat thing to have, for sure. Besides being, well, STEPHEN HAWKING, it's the only person to play himself on Star Trek. How about a special skill for that meta? Imagine Stephen Hawking himself as an STCCG player: "If played by Stephen Hawking, you win the game." :-) More seriously, it would be very cool but not so useful, and I'd like the WOTC card to be useful.

Tiron: Non-aligned, probably a boost to holograms. Would be nice to finally have a Jeffrey Combs card ... oh wait, we already have several. I don't see much special here.

Botany Bay: The ship is so old, I don't see it being particularly useful. Like someone said, its reasonable function would be similar to the Cryosatellite, and we already have that.

USS Defiant (Starship Defiant): This does seem cool. Dual-affil (Fed and Starfleet), with a [OS] icon and a [22] icon, native to AQ but able to report in MQ. Or maybe native to MQ, in which case it can seed at Halkan Council. Of course, if that's all it is -- which is to say, if it doesn't also have some kind of special skill -- I probably won't end up playing it anyway.

Timeship Relativity: As a fan of the show and its time travel episodes -- particularly with this one starring Al the bartender (aka GFTW) -- I do want a Relativity card. But it shouldn't be something standalone. It should be something that interacts with other related cards. I would imagine it would have (and maybe require as staffing) a Future-Fed icon (the Chronowerx logo), also seen on Braxton, his crew members, the Aeon, and maybe Henry Starling! But with WOTC, we get only one card, so I’ll instead hope that the designers can give us this group sometime.

So I might be persuaded towards something else, but for now, I’m voting for Mudd.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
SirDan wrote:Hmm. Good point about the 1E ship - I hadn't consider that. Anything cool would have to be a special download.
Well, depending on your definition of "cool", there's also the lore (Maximum Firepower means "future" should be in there; also a mention of Braxton as commander; not sure if anything else in ship lore can affect gameplay); the staffing requirements (since 1E can have things other than [Cmd] and [Stf] in there, and though in this case it might not be anything other than those and [1E-AU] , the question of what balance between them to use remains); and whether any [DL] is of an already-existing card or a broken link (possibly with ideas floated about regarding what it could do... remember the Temporal Transporter and Temporal Sensors, not to mention that it can itself travel through time? So maybe it could just be any card with "Temporal" in title... Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself).

The space on the card might be limited, but there's still cool stuff that can be done with 1E ships.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
As a strictly 1e player, I look at this list and see a lot of potential negatives. Sure there's some potential here, especially with certain cards. And I'll share my opinions (if only because I can and I know no one wants them anyways and will skip over them), but...

Beata - Potential [NA] AQ personnel. Potentially usable in a few decks, especially if they work in some sort of connection to a certain dilemma from Premier that ties into the episode that she's from, but over all not that impressive.

Data - Sorry to upset any and all Data fans, but with 7 1e Personae and 5 BC versions. Do we really need another of him?

Gabriel Bell - I'm not even sure how to touch this one. If we go for the pre-Ben Sisko version the card probably wouldn't be that impressive if only because of an absolute lack of stuff to work with. If we go with the Ben Sisko version we have the same thing Data has, only not as extreme Namely do we need another version of a character that we have 5 versions of in 1e, with 4 BC versions?

Harry Mudd - Sorry, but I look at this card and I think Kivas Fajo. Maybe not skill wise, stat wise, or special ability wise, but the entire 'strong android connection' Trek sense mixed with him probably being [NA] I just can't help but make that connection.

Jake Sisko - All right, so there's only 2 1e personae of Jake and no BC versions. Still, he's a main character, and has a card, and to me it'd be nice to have a card come out of this that we already don't have a version of out there.

Norman - Potentially a [NA] Android that's also [OS] era. Good. Not a Soong Type android, even better. Potentially usable all around, but not ultra impressive.

Reginald Barclay - 3 Ie versions, one of which is a UR. Sure there's no BC versions, but still... Do we need another, and would whatever this new version have really add something to the game that we don't already have that's connected to this character?

Stephen Hawking- While I'd love to have this guy just to finish off the 'Poker Playing Scientist Holograms' in 1e, unless we gave him something that would give people a reason to not only play him, but possibly those other 'famous scientist holograms' I'm not sure this guy would get much use, even in either a [Fed] or [Holo] deck.

Tiron - Seriously... Who? I don't really see this guy adding anything that would really make him stand out in 1e, especially when compared to all the other [NA] cards based on various aliens who appeared once and were never seen again on any show.

S.S. Botany Bay - A ship where 'Genetically Enhanced' Personnel could report aboard? Useful. But considering that the Phoenix only has a range of 1 in 1e, and it was Earths first warp ship, and the Botany Bay was technically launched before the Phoenix, how the heck would the Phoenix actually get around to do anything if it doesn't have a warp drive?

U.S.S. Defiant (Constitution Class) - While I love the idea of having this ship, it really brings up several potential problems. Mainly if it's made as a [SF] ship it'd also have to be a MQ ship, and there's no real 1e stuff for MQ [SF] right now (only 2e BC). On the other hand as an AQ [1E-AU] [Fed] ship it probably wouldn't add much besides another named [OS] Constitution Class ship, thus it'd probably get as much play as all of those other 1e Unique [Fed] ships without matching commanders (i.e. probably not that much).

U.S.S. Relativity - A potential very easy way for people to get too and from 1e Time Locations in 1e? Sounds potentially a little too good to be true, and even more potentially 'too powerful' in the initial setup, and thus potentially being nerfed to a point of uselessness either during play testing or later on via either errata or new cards meant to counter it.

I guess I'm not sure which card I'll vote for, but none of these really strike me as strong contenders unfortunately.

-Aoide Muse
Last edited by Aoide Muse on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
SirDan wrote:Hmm. Good point about the 1E ship - I hadn't consider that. Anything cool would have to be a special download.
Well, depending on your definition of "cool", there's also the lore (Maximum Firepower means "future" should be in there; also a mention of Braxton as commander; not sure if anything else in ship lore can affect gameplay); the staffing requirements (since 1E can have things other than [Cmd] and [Stf] in there, and though in this case it might not be anything other than those and [1E-AU] , the question of what balance between them to use remains); and whether any [DL] is of an already-existing card or a broken link (possibly with ideas floated about regarding what it could do... remember the Temporal Transporter and Temporal Sensors, not to mention that it can itself travel through time? So maybe it could just be any card with "Temporal" in title... Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself).

The space on the card might be limited, but there's still cool stuff that can be done with 1E ships.
I disagree on this point. In 1E a card does not need to have extensive gametext or another card to get a function. Often, a new rule is made. Tractor Beam, Cloaking Device, Holodeck, etc. all have functions without any other card or additional gametext.

The card could simply have Temporal Transporter listed and then a note in the glossary showing that Temporal Transporter allows the beaming of personnel to or from a Time Location at the same spaceline location as the ship.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
The Mad Vulcan wrote: I disagree on this point. In 1E a card does not need to have extensive gametext or another card to get a function. Often, a new rule is made. Tractor Beam, Cloaking Device, Holodeck, etc. all have functions without any other card or additional gametext.

The card could simply have Temporal Transporter listed and then a note in the glossary showing that Temporal Transporter allows the beaming of personnel to or from a Time Location at the same spaceline location as the ship.
True, I'd forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me that could be done. (Still, a way for the ship to enable itself to move to and from Time Locations would be nice to have on there; that's what a [DL] could be good for, or just another "Temporal Drive" keyword/function.)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Since personnel ans ships have such limited gameplay options in 1E, we should get to design its corresponding download, time location, or matching ship/commander. I'm looking at you Relativity. :cross:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  

I'm changing my vote back to MC Hawking.

Give the man music, and I'll smile every time I play him.
Thanks! You just ruined my night! :cheersL: Never heard of him before and now I have to sit up all night listening through all his songs...

And on topic: I voted for Harry Mudd, I think something interesting can be done with him that doesn't end up being a copy of Kivas Fajo, maybe something that makes Smuggler a bit more useful and interesting?

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Current standings:

Harry Mudd 21
Stephen Hawking 17
U.S.S. Relativity 16
U.S.S. Defiant (Constitution class) 13
Beata 4
S.S. Botany Bay 4
Norman 3
Tiron 3
Data 2
Gabriel Bell 2
Jake Sisko 2
Reginald Barclay 2

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
ZodoJats wrote:Looks like Mudd will win :-(
Not necessarily.
There are currently 22 votes "unused" (put towards something with 4 or fewer votes, with basically no chance of winning). Any of those people could now move their votes towards one of the top four instead, and there's still lots of chance for any of those top 4 to win thanks to all those votes.

So if you're voting for one of those bottom 8, make your voice heard! Make your vote count! Vote for Stephen Hawking and don't let that rogue Mudd win!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
WeyounsLastClone wrote:Or everyone currently voting for the Constitution Defiant can change to the Relativity :D
Sure, you COULD vote for a third-party candidate. Go ahead, throw your vote away.

Hawking 2010!

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]