This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Bigm264
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
On the main page of the site there is a section called Rules Format and it lists OTF rules, revised rules, and standard rules. Whats the difference between all these rules? are they all different type of formats? and which set is the most commonly used? I also have heard of open format. How do those links work with open format? I know this was a lot of questions but I appreciate the help.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Good question! It's confusing, because there are a bunch of formats and there's no real guide to what they are.

Open - the game's original rules. The Glossary follows Open format.

OTF - Official Tournament Format. Launched in 2010, this format makes seven large changes to Open format, including making most mission stealing illegal and creating a ban list. VIRTUALLY ALL games played today follow OTF. The only time you'll generally play Open is if you're doing a sealed deck OTSD event.

X-List - Before OTF existed, there was a short-lived format called X-List that tried to fix serious problems in Open format by banning a huuuuuge number of cards. It is no longer supported by the CC, but the rules have stayed on the front page.

Revised - Before OTF existed, there was another short-lived format called Revised that tried to fix the problems in Open format by creating new rules. OTF is a hybrid of X-List and Revised. Revised is no longer supported by the CC, either.

That reminds me... isn't it time to take X-List and Revised off the main page? That was supposed to happen at the end of last year. Gonna go do that. I'll put up the new and fancy DRG while I'm there, since I forgot to do that on the appropriate Monday of this month. (And then I'll try and get X-List and Revised out of the search engine and stuff next week.)
Last edited by BCSWowbagger on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Bigm264
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Good question! It's confusing, because there are a bunch of formats and there's no real guide to what they are.

Open - the game's original rules. The Glossary follows Open format.

OTF - Official Tournament Format. Launched in 2010, this format makes seven large changes to Open format, including making most mission stealing illegal and creating a ban list. VIRTUALLY ALL games played today follow OTF. The only time you'll generally play Open is if you're doing a sealed deck OTSD event.

X-List - Before OTF existed, there was a short-lived format called X-List that tried to fix serious problems in Open format by banning a huuuuuge number of cards. It is no longer supported by the CC, but the rules have stayed on the front page.

Revised - Before OTF existed, there was another short-lived format called Revised that tried to fix the problems in Open format by creating new rules. OTF is a hybrid of X-List and Revised. Revised is no longer supported by the CC, either.

That reminds me... isn't it time to take X-List and Revised off the main page? That was supposed to happen at the end of last year. Gonna go do that. I'll put up the new and fancy DRG while I'm there, since I forgot to do that on the appropriate Monday of this month. (And then I'll try and get X-List and Revised out of the search engine and stuff next week.)
Ok thanks for the clarification. You've been a big help. Also whats DRG?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
DRG is the Dilemma Resolution Guide. Basically, in case any dilemma is unclear how to handle it, the DRG allows you to look up the dilemma by name and give you more specific and clear instructions on how to handle it.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Following the question on the items on the rules, what are the "converted card list"? At first I thought it was cards converted from 1E to 2E, but when I looked them up, I didn't see a second card.

Thank you!

Mario

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Subcommander Mario wrote:Following the question on the items on the rules, what are the "converted card list"? At first I thought it was cards converted from 1E to 2E, but when I looked them up, I didn't see a second card.

Thank you!

Mario
When Decipher first made Second Edition, they planned to close First Edition's broken links with Second Edition cards, and consequently made a number of 2E cards "backwards compatible," marking those cards with a bar in the bottom left.

This had made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Yes, yes, I know, plenty of people like BC cards. I couldn't pass up the Hitchhiker quote.

After some backlash over that, Decipher released All Good Things, to clean up the broken links.

Once the CC took over, they started converting those cards to proper 1E templates and gameplay. Those are converted cards, and they are marked in the bottom left corner with a similar bar. (Some of the All Good Things cards have also been declared conversions.)

By RouterPlaner (Sam)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:isn't it time to take X-List and Revised off the main page? That was supposed to happen at the end of last year. Gonna go do that.
Kindly burn in hell X-list.

At the time this was implemented, without universal card printability and with no virtual cards to speak of, this basically forced you to buy more cards. And they were probably Voyager packs.

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:I'll put up the new and fancy DRG while I'm there, since I forgot to do that on the appropriate Monday of this month. (And then I'll try and get X-List and Revised out of the search engine and stuff next week.)
Thank you for this! It's wonderful to have an updated guide with all the virtual dilemmas included, and I imagine this was no easy task to compile and complete!

:borg:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Borg King wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:I'll put up the new and fancy DRG while I'm there, since I forgot to do that on the appropriate Monday of this month. (And then I'll try and get X-List and Revised out of the search engine and stuff next week.)
Thank you for this! It's wonderful to have an updated guide with all the virtual dilemmas included, and I imagine this was no easy task to compile and complete!

:borg:
All credit to pfti, who wrote it. And Chris did 99% of the coding. All I did was work out the last URL hack and post it.

But it IS pretty great, isn't it? I'm pretty happy about it.
MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]