What's New Dashboard Articles Forums Chat Room Achievements Tournaments Player Map The Promenade Volunteers About Us Site Index
The Continuing Committee
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:02 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two? 

Which path do you want to take for WotC6?
Poll ended at Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Option 1: Make a mission from (almost) any source. 36%  36%  [ 27 ]
Option 2: Make a 23rd century planet mission and a personnel. 64%  64%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 75

 Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two? 
Author Message
Delta Quadrant


Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am
Posts: 3288
Location: Former Chicagoland, then Charlottean, and back to Qo'noSian
Region: Qo'noS
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
I'm guessing this new "23rd century" on missions in the space line is to help get them to directly report to the space line, rather than a time location. That was always one of my least favorite things about the game, especially when all of the past (and future) cards have to be played to time locations to get the free report. I want a Spacedock Earth to directly report to Earth and play my [CF] Feds there. That would be nice.

~D


Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 am
Profile
Gamma Quadrant


Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 6009
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
MattgomeryScott wrote:
Also a question:

Does this mechanic and specifically this challenge extend to characters from the 23rd Century who appeared in other series. For example Captain Morgan Bateson and the U.S.S. Bozeman from the TNG episode "Cause and Effect," or the Klingon sleeper ship I.K.C. T'Ong from TNGs "The Emissary?" As they're a couple of the few examples of "23rd Century" in lore that already exists.

(If yes, my votes for a new Morgan Bateson and a mission based on Cause and Effect that the Feds can actually do! :D )

I think the "or otherwise be logically able to include the phrase "23rd century" in lore" part would include Cause and Effect. The "must be a planet" part would cause issues.

_________________
Real scene from DragonCon:

Me: "Hey, it's Gowron!"
Robert O'Reilly: "Yes!" :shock:


Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 am
Profile
Delta Quadrant


Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:36 pm
Posts: 2128
Location: Great Britain
Region: Omarion Nebula
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
GooeyChewie wrote:
MattgomeryScott wrote:
Also a question:

Does this mechanic and specifically this challenge extend to characters from the 23rd Century who appeared in other series. For example Captain Morgan Bateson and the U.S.S. Bozeman from the TNG episode "Cause and Effect," or the Klingon sleeper ship I.K.C. T'Ong from TNGs "The Emissary?" As they're a couple of the few examples of "23rd Century" in lore that already exists.

(If yes, my votes for a new Morgan Bateson and a mission based on Cause and Effect that the Feds can actually do! :D )

I think the "or otherwise be logically able to include the phrase "23rd century" in lore" part would include Cause and Effect. The "must be a planet" part would cause issues.


Ah. Haha. I missed the planet part... :shifty:

Thanks. :D

EDIT: In which case I have a mission and personnel (well two) candidate that definitely won't conflict with other cards because there's never been a card from this episode in any edition! (And I really think there should be. :D )

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.


Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 pm
Profile
Acting Director of First Edition
Acting Director of First Edition

User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm
Posts: 20157
Location: Salem, OR
Region: Ferenginar
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
frakkingoff wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:
There is one support card for the mechanic that works very close to how Mission Specialist Works. Calling it a new mechanic is a simple term that isn't accurate, as this is really just a new lore reference.


Ok, but presumably this support card is going to confer benefits to Natives, giving them some kind of extra power - which should probably be taken into account when designing Native cards, right?


Yes, but I'll make sure you know exactly what the card does before we start design. In fact, while the finished text isn't done yet, here is a run down of what the "native" card does:

- It has two modes, seed or play.
- If seeded, you can't also seed (or have seeded) Assign Mission Specialists.
--- When seeded, you can download up to two [OS] personnel that are natives*.
--- Any time a native* personnel helps solve their native mission, score 5 points.
- If played, you may download one [OS] personnel that is a native*.
--- You can play AMS during the game, just not seed it.

*A native is a personnel who, in their lore, names a non-homeworld planet mission that has "23rd century" in its lore.

-crp

_________________


MidnightLich @michaelmoskop That is 100% my theory.


Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:53 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Richmond, VA
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
MidnightLich wrote:
frakkingoff wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:
There is one support card for the mechanic that works very close to how Mission Specialist Works. Calling it a new mechanic is a simple term that isn't accurate, as this is really just a new lore reference.


Ok, but presumably this support card is going to confer benefits to Natives, giving them some kind of extra power - which should probably be taken into account when designing Native cards, right?


Yes, but I'll make sure you know exactly what the card does before we start design. In fact, while the finished text isn't done yet, here is a run down of what the "native" card does:

- It has two modes, seed or play.
- If seeded, you can't also seed (or have seeded) Assign Mission Specialists.
--- When seeded, you can download up to two [OS] personnel that are natives*.
--- Any time a native* personnel helps solve their native mission, score 5 points.
- If played, you may download one [OS] personnel that is a native*.
--- You can play AMS during the game, just not seed it.

*A native is a personnel who, in their lore, names a non-homeworld planet mission that has "23rd century" in its lore.

-crp


I will say, that the idea of a person named in lore for a mission (either on the personnel OR the mission) and you gain extra points from it is probably the most trek-sense addition to card design this game in a long time. It really adds something to the game and deck design.


Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm
Profile
Delta Quadrant


Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am
Posts: 3288
Location: Former Chicagoland, then Charlottean, and back to Qo'noSian
Region: Qo'noS
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
DarkSabre wrote:
I will say, that the idea of a person named in lore for a mission (either on the personnel OR the mission) and you gain extra points from it is probably the most trek-sense addition to card design this game in a long time. It really adds something to the game and deck design.


Actually I think it stifles deck creativity. It forces players that if you're going to play [OS] decks, then basically you have to include these set cards b/c it's the only way to make them competitive in the meta. I think cards like CM, RStQ are great, because in general they just add an icon to an already existing slew of cards. Then adding the play engine just heightens affiliations. That's why I think more [WC] & [RC] need to be made. To continue open end game play. But we've already moved on to the TOS which I'm excited for. But forcing me to run certain missions isn't creative IMO, unless the set contains like 50 new missions.

~D


Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:57 am
Profile
Beta Quadrant

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:56 pm
Posts: 548
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
HoodieDM wrote:
DarkSabre wrote:
I will say, that the idea of a person named in lore for a mission (either on the personnel OR the mission) and you gain extra points from it is probably the most trek-sense addition to card design this game in a long time. It really adds something to the game and deck design.


Actually I think it stifles deck creativity. It forces players that if you're going to play [OS] decks, then basically you have to include these set cards b/c it's the only way to make them competitive in the meta. I think cards like CM, RStQ are great, because in general they just add an icon to an already existing slew of cards. Then adding the play engine just heightens affiliations. That's why I think more [WC] & [RC] need to be made. To continue open end game play. But we've already moved on to the TOS which I'm excited for. But forcing me to run certain missions isn't creative IMO, unless the set contains like 50 new missions.

~D


Wouldn't that depend on the character? If it's like Any Kirk or Any Spock it's not really so limiting as the Romulans have access to those characters so don't have to be [OS] , as does the Mirror Quadrant and [1E-TNG] personnel. If there are any other, especially [NA] versions then that potentially opens it up to everyone.


Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:41 pm
Profile
Delta Quadrant


Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am
Posts: 3288
Location: Former Chicagoland, then Charlottean, and back to Qo'noSian
Region: Qo'noS
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
Slayer07 wrote:
Wouldn't that depend on the character? If it's like Any Kirk or Any Spock it's not really so limiting as the Romulans have access to those characters so don't have to be [OS] , as does the Mirror Quadrant and [1E-TNG] personnel. If there are any other, especially [NA] versions then that potentially opens it up to everyone.


No, the cards will work like this:

Mission A text: 23rd century mission name #1234

Personnel 1 text: did this action on #1234

Personnel 2 text: did something else on #1234

Now youre forced to play meta deck with mission A and personnel 1 & 2 to make [OS] competitive bc mission A w/personnel 1 & 2 is just so much more bad ass than anything in TwT.

And if you disagree, just look at the CC creating Vulcans...

I dont like this form of "limits". I think stuff should be created for open creativity to combo together. Thats what makes a great card. Endless opportunities.

~D


Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 pm
Profile
Gamma Quadrant





User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 8335
Region: Romulus
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
HoodieDM wrote:
And if you disagree, just look at the CC creating Vulcans...


I dunno. I mean, yeah, you have a certain Lego set feel to [Vul] but that's a necessity when you're creating a brand new affiliation with a hard line card count.

I'm not mad about that.

Besides, they also made Kolinahr, which opens up creative possibilities. There's enough variety for the creative deckbuilders to play in the sandbox too.

I actually think I like the paradigm of giving players Lego sets and scripts to build competitive decks combined with cards that allow for more open-ended competitive decks to be built.

The one caveat is you can't make the Lego set decks strictly better than the open ended stuff such that there's no reason to innovate. They tilted too far that way with 2e a couple of years ago, and it's taken all of that time (and some strong leadership by the Design Director) to rein it in.

I'm more hopeful that the diverse landscape of 1e makes that outcome lower risk, especially with the lessons learned from the TNG era a few years ago.

_________________
bhosp wrote:
Haha Neil's the Hillary Clinton of Star Trek. He won the popular vote even though no one really likes him, but he still loses.


Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 pm
Profile
Delta Quadrant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm
Posts: 2430
Region: Ferenginar
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
HoodieDM wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:
Wouldn't that depend on the character? If it's like Any Kirk or Any Spock it's not really so limiting as the Romulans have access to those characters so don't have to be [OS] , as does the Mirror Quadrant and [1E-TNG] personnel. If there are any other, especially [NA] versions then that potentially opens it up to everyone.


No, the cards will work like this:

Mission A text: 23rd century mission name #1234

Personnel 1 text: did this action on #1234

Personnel 2 text: did something else on #1234

Now youre forced to play meta deck with mission A and personnel 1 & 2 to make [OS] competitive bc mission A w/personnel 1 & 2 is just so much more bad ass than anything in TwT.

And if you disagree, just look at the CC creating Vulcans...

I dont like this form of "limits". I think stuff should be created for open creativity to combo together. Thats what makes a great card. Endless opportunities.

~D
I'm working with Charlie as co-lead on Delenn and I thought I would pop in and say hi.

Without giving too much away, from what we've got in Delenn right now, we don't believe that this is required to make [OS] competitive. Some decks may not use it and opt for Assign Mission Specialists or something else entirely. That being said, we have made a number of locations that have "natives" and a number of natives so there are options for what you do with this card and two decks that use this card for it's seed benefit may end up with completely different missions.

There are some

- James M


Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:57 am
Profile
Delta Quadrant


Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am
Posts: 3288
Location: Former Chicagoland, then Charlottean, and back to Qo'noSian
Region: Qo'noS
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
Armus wrote:
HoodieDM wrote:
And if you disagree, just look at the CC creating Vulcans...


I dunno. I mean, yeah, you have a certain Lego set feel to [Vul] but that's a necessity when you're creating a brand new affiliation with a hard line card count.

I meant more on the power curve that made them the #1 affiliation until they got toned down a bit. But they def made old [22] cards feel obsolete.

~D


Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 am
Profile
Beta Quadrant

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:59 pm
Posts: 147
Region: Romulus
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
I'm SUPER excited for all of this! I'm just now getting into the FED TOS cards and having these expansions on the horizon is fantastic for being able to build new kinds of decks around all these cards!

AND I get to help make TWO new cards that will potentially be in the new expansion!? I'm on board! Joran didn't go where I expected (or wanted for the most part) but it was incredibly fun to be a part of that process and I'm really looking forward to the new WotC!

The CC seems to be on board with letting us know what can and can't be done with the designed cards in relation to any new mechanics, etc so I think we'll be okay to come up with something balanced and reflective of the sets theme(s).

:borg:


Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 pm
Profile
Acting Director of First Edition
Acting Director of First Edition

User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm
Posts: 20157
Location: Salem, OR
Region: Ferenginar
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
Don't forget to vote if you haven't. While the "23rd century" option is in the lead, a late surge - or a convincing argument - could swing things around. The poll closes tonight at 7:45 PM Pacific time, so vote!

-crp

_________________


MidnightLich @michaelmoskop That is 100% my theory.


Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Acting Director of First Edition
Acting Director of First Edition

User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm
Posts: 20157
Location: Salem, OR
Region: Ferenginar
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
We have officially decided upon the game text for the card that enables "natives," as of today. I thought I would share it with you, so consider this a second pseudo-spoiler for Project Delenn. Please note it's not final until it's in print, so it is subject to change:

Quote:
[Door] Preserver Obelisk
Seeds on table in facility phase if you did not seed (and you may not seed) Assign Mission Specialists; download up to 2 [OS] personnel that name in lore non-homeworld planets you seeded. Score 5 points whenever your personnel helps solve such a planet they name in lore. (Unique.) OR Plays to download an [OS] personnel that names in lore a non-homeworld planet you seeded.


Let me know if you have any questions.

-crp

_________________


MidnightLich @michaelmoskop That is 100% my theory.


Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Gamma Quadrant





User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 8335
Region: Romulus
Post Re: Step 0 - Will of the Collective VI - One Card or Two?
MidnightLich wrote:
We have officially decided upon the game text for the card that enables "natives," as of today. I thought I would share it with you, so consider this a second pseudo-spoiler for Project Delenn. Please note it's not final until it's in print, so it is subject to change:

Quote:
[Door] Preserver Obelisk
Seeds on table in facility phase if you did not seed (and you may not seed) Assign Mission Specialists; download up to 2 [OS] personnel that name in lore non-homeworld planets you seeded. Score 5 points whenever your personnel helps solve such a planet they name in lore. (Unique.) OR Plays to download an [OS] personnel that names in lore a non-homeworld planet you seeded.


Let me know if you have any questions.

-crp


I like this. A lot.

_________________
bhosp wrote:
Haha Neil's the Hillary Clinton of Star Trek. He won the popular vote even though no one really likes him, but he still loses.


Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ausgang and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Terms of Use

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.