This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 126 posts

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
I know if I want a good chance of getting a given card in my opening hand from experience IF it's really important I use 1 in 6 ratios fr smaller decks and slightly heavier weighting if the deck gets bigger as I find with a bigger deck it seams easier for those cards to end up in the bottom half when there is more room in that bottom half. Just my :twocents: and the rule of thumb I try and use.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Also keep in mind that lackey´s shuffle engine is not sutible for large decks.

You may want to shuffle again some times, since the initial shuffle sometimes results in multiple cards of the same type being together at each other.

1 of 6 or 1 of 5 seems good if you really want a card in the start hand. The Power can also give you a 2nd chance.

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LuthySloan wrote:Also keep in mind that lackey´s shuffle engine is not sutible for large decks.

You may want to shuffle again some times, since the initial shuffle sometimes results in multiple cards of the same type being together at each other.

1 of 6 or 1 of 5 seems good if you really want a card in the start hand. The Power can also give you a 2nd chance.
Actually the Lackey Shuffle algorithm is theoretically far better than any manual card shuffle. To have cards clustered is a rather normal outcome. Iirc Lackey assigns every card a random number and sorts the card according to that random number, so the only non-perfect part of that is the seeding and implementation of that random generator (worst case leads only to predictable value orders in a series of generated random numbers) .

The probability to have a card in your opening hand can be calculated by using a hypergeometric distribution. Assuming a 42 cards draw deck the chance to get a specific card in your opening hand is
75 % if stocking 7 cards of that specific card (1 in 6)
84 % if stocking 9 cards of that specific card (a little bit more than 1 in 5)

If you utilize Masaka Transformations the chances will increase to 94% resp. 98% (assuming you play 2 cards on first turn, then Masaka for 5 and make an end of turn draw).
So if you really want to make sure that you got a card in hand on turn 1 you should calculate the odds or increase them by using a method to redraw your hand (Masaka transformations) or mass draw (The Power, Mutation e.a.)

By Shepard (Matt Carroll)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
You mention in the article that Deyos is the only vorta that can be downloaded, but I've been trying to figure out how :?
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Shepard wrote:You mention in the article that Deyos is the only vorta that can be downloaded, but I've been trying to figure out how :?
He has Security...
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Shepard wrote:You mention in the article that Deyos is the only vorta that can be downloaded, but I've been trying to figure out how :?
Defend Homeworld, one of the best download cards because it is also a [Ref] card.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:
time4achange wrote:I enjoy reading these articles. But as for a fan of OTF, 15 yjh or 15 of any card for 1E is a little bit to much. OTF should have a card limit.
Sorry this is off-topic.
So if you wanted to use a Q's Tent to get cards not normally downloadable you can't actually use all 13 slots?

A card limit in 1E is absurd, so many decks require multiples or they are next to useless.
Not having a card limit is absurd. Try playing revised and get back to me...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
time4achange wrote: Not having a card limit is absurd. Try playing revised and get back to me...
Revised makes some interesting choices, but I don't think it can claim to be The Be All and End All. (Otherwise it would have been more popular than it is.)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote:As I said: it's kind of an "experience statistics". It might be that this won't work in Lackey, but it does when I have my deck in my hands.

Therefore I must apologize for declaring it a statistical value.

Nonetheless, it works.
If it were not working, I wouldn't have written it down with so much confidence.
Your "experience" stating that "it works" is an example of how people often assume that empirical probability will equal statistical (or classical) probability. It is a prime example of the hasty generalization often referred to as the "law of small numbers" (generally defined as when people use insufficient evidence from a limited sample to assume a statistical probability that will not occur at the same probability given a much larger sample size).

None of the other variables mentioned here (i.e. whether it is a "Lackey" shuffle or a hand shuffle) are relevant to the statistical probability of how successful one would be in drawing any card of size 15 in a deck of size 100.

It is pleasing to see that those that have pointed out the statistical inaccuracy of this misconception have done a bang-up job in correcting the mistakes stated here-to-with. Who knew there were so many closet mathematicians in the community!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Come on guys, it was his experience and I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realize that stocking 1 in 7 cards to get a card first turn is not the end all solution. I myself do a 1 in 5 ratio with a backup of Masaka for Borg, Dukat found that 1 in 7 works for him and thats fine, if you feel that 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 is better then go for it... Coming on here and being an ass about it isn't the best way to handle this...

As to your article and my critique of it, I loved the article, but at the end you mentioned about 60 adult Jem'hadar, could you (or if anyone else wants to join in) break that down even further to explain what an optimal unique to universal ratio would be. For me, this is the biggest problem is achieving that optimal ratio and then which universal Jem'hadar to include. It's pretty easy to figure out which unique Jem'hadar to include, but finding that optimal level of universal Jem'hadar is key IMO.

Also, I think it is worth mentioning the new card Strategic Base as a valid seed and helpful draw at the beginning of the game. If one wanted to get out Keevan first turn, how would you go about doing so? I really need to get my hands on several copies of that card!

Cheers,

Stanton

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
9of24 wrote:I'm a Doctor, Not a Bricklayer could download Keevan for you. Probably have to stock a few copies, or mix in some [OS] [Fed] for Dr. McCoy, but extra copies can be good for Horta.

9of24
Commerce Drone
Genius! Thanks 9 of 24 drone, your service to the collective is highly valued. Now prepare for invasive beam in's! [Dom] [Dom] [Dom] [Dom] [Dom]

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
About your questions:
1.) Ratio unique to universal:
I will deal with that question in detail in the next article.
2.) Keevan:
I always stock the appropriate number of Keevans needed in the deck. For several reasons. Keevan has Diplomacy and Anthropology. Two skills that quite rare. So when he gets killed, I just have the next one in hand.
In addition to that: putting several copies in the deck has advantages. It means that you have a card that is needed only once in play and can be discarded.
More on that later.

I have never used I'm a Doctor, Not a Bricklayer for long. I tried in the beginning, but didn't continue to use it.
First: it needs MEDICAL and OFFICER. MEDICAL is a problem among the Jem'Hadar (you will see later why I don't speak about the Founders or Vorta). Second, it is an Interrupt that can be nullified.
Considering the importance Keevan represents, those two things can slow down progress in such a deck ENORMOUSLY.

One big problem about Dominion deck is that they strongly depend on certain personnel (Deyos, Keevan, Founder Leader and some others).
That means you have to GUARANTEE that those personnel cards are in play.
Depending on certain cards that can be nullified seemed no option for me over the years.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all o[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0