This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 420 posts

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I stand corrected, at least in certain respects.

However, I maintain that this should not have been enough of a majority for such a major change. If we want to continue our comparison to the US government, this change is far less ending a filibuster than it is comparable to amending the Constitution.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
(It would also help me to understand how a champion-caliber player is putting Kotra to good use.)
The Kotra/Davin combo is the key here.

My best Kotra/Davin deck got nuked when Regina was errata'ed.
My current version has an engine focused on Krell with lots of Maveks (to dl equipment) and Davins (for Kotra points).
Basically Krell eats either Mavek or Davin to play another Mavek or Davin.
Cyrus and Office of Dixon Hill provide the potential for playing a second Davin if the first one wiffs.

I tried another version based on playing Davin for free with New Arrivals but I couldn't get that one to work effectively.

Again this is one of those decks that is fun to design and execute that will be eliminated from the game when the Big Ban goes off.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
You guys remember that when 2ebc cards started they were never playtested in 1e right?

Decipher just went through the finished 2e set and went "yep, this doesn't refer to cost so its in. This doesn't refer to the dilemma deck so its in. yada yada yada..."

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sometimes I get the feeling that there are many players who would love to see 1E turning into a fluffy-puffy "you solve your missions, I solve mine" solitaire. That's not 1E! The universe is a dangerous place :) , play 2E if you fear crazy interaction and crazy combos. That's 1E :) . And it should stay that way... I personally would have kept the 2EBC, there were many nice ones, but I''m fine with the mayority's decision.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Depending on who's pulling the data, of course.
I got my numbers direct from Maelwys, so I'm pretty confident I've got the best numbers available.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Well Broken Bow has been out for over a month now so I suppose I should do my 2EBC update.
In summary 24 out of the 90 cards in Broken Bow were 2EBC conversions.

Broken Bow brought new cards and mechanics to the Starfleet affiliation, and Starfleet related conversions made up over half of the total number of conversions in the new set.
Three of my favorite ‘healers’ were converted (Phlox, Amanda, and Sean) and of course their healing abilities were reigned in with the conversions.
This leaves Starfleet with 7 unconverted 2EBC personnel, the most significant of which is her Highness, Empress Hoshi (Beautiful Archive Portrait).
Aaron and I are currently playing around with the new MACO cards to see what we can do with them.
Other significant conversions in Broken Bow included the two AU Borg drones.

Another note of interest is the conversion of Fiona McKenzie made This Side of Paradise the first 2E expansion to have all its 2EBC cards converted to 1E format. Yeah… I know… This Side of Paradise only had one 2EBC card.

An addition to the 2EBC card pool that might have gone unnoticed was the recent Virtual Promo alternate image that came out for the unconverted Worf, Son of Mogh Klingon card.

As far as non-conversions go,
With the errata of Temporal Vortex (actually taking it back to its original First Contact text) Temporal Conduit is now my new preferred method of traveling to and from time locations.
And I love the new non-stealable Earth

Countdown to Discomendation
Ok… now the latest update for the upcoming dark day for the 1E game… Project Discomendation. It is a pity that Discomendation will also ruin the long running history of the 1E Open format as being the STCCG format where you can actually use all 1E cards.

300 of the 799 2EBC cards have now been converted.
This currently leaves us with 499 unconverted 2EBC cards in the 1E card pool.

Here are the updated 2EBC spreadsheets as of May 7, 2017.
Code: Select all
                              Converted Unconverted   Banned  Total
Missions                             29          13        0     42
Dil - P                              20          21        0     41
Dil - S                              18          25        0     43
Dil - P/S                            33          39        0     72
Per - Fed                            26          69        1     95
Per - SF                             33           7        0     40
Per - Kli                            10          23        0     33
Per - Rom                            11          26        0     37
Per - Baj                            16          29        0     45
Per - Car                            13          20        0     33
Per - Dom                             5          17        0     22
Per - Fer                             3          12        1     15
Per - Bor                             5           8        0     13
Per - NA                             26          50        0     76
Ships                                14          34        0     48
Equipment                             3           0        0      3
Events                               25          84        1    109
Interrupts                           10          22        0     32

Total                               300         499        3    799
                                    38%         62%		

Converted Unconverted           Total
Second Edition (01)                  78         122             200
Energize (02)                        34          57              91
Call to Arms (03)                    30          59              89
Necessary Evil (04)                  20          33              53
10th Anniversary                      2           5               7
Fractured Time (05)                   5           9              14
Reflections 2.0 (06)                 10           9              19
Strange New Worlds (07)               5          10              15
To Boldly Go (08)                    26          26              52
Dangerous Missions (09)               5           2               7
Captain's Log (10)                   11          52              63
Genesis (11)                         14          13              27
These are the Voyages (12)           12          25              37
In a Mirror Darkly (13)              23          18              41
What You Leave Behind (14)           15          24              39
2E Virtual Promo                      0           1               1
The Undiscovered Country (15)         4          13              17
Favor the Bold (16)                   3          12              15
Raise the Stakes (17)                 2           9              11
This Side of Paradise (18)            1           0               1

Total                               300         499             799

-  
Community Contributor
It is a pity joy that Discomendation will also ruin preserve the long running history of the 1E Open format as being the STCCG format where you can actually use all 1E cards without the ugliness of those cheap 2E impersonators.
Fixed that for ya. :wink:

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'd say it's a pity that a game with the slogan "Expand your power in the universe" is going to have the biggest reduction in its history, which to me outweighs "These cards have a different template, and could use a better conversion process!". But that's just me.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
tomek wrote:It is a pity that Discomendation will also ruin the long running history of the 1E Open format as being the STCCG format where you can actually use all 1E cards.
I know we're on different sides of this question, and I shan't try to win you over to mine, but there's nothing that says you can't run Open with 2EBC cards and conversion rules. I'm sure the conversion rules will still be posted on the website. The OPG isn't going to change so that events including 2EBC all become unsanctioned. You'll still have the cards in your actual binder.

As a practical matter, the only things that are changing are: (1) the 1E Rules Committee is going to stop worrying about making every single card in 2EBC work with every single card in 1E -- something that is often a giant flaming headache -- and (2) Art is no longer going to feel bound to use a particular image on a new 1E card just because the 2EBC card on which the new card is vaguely based also used that image.

And, hey, if you can find somebody crazy enough to play Open with you, I'm sure you can convince the mad lads to play with 2EBC cards, too.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BCSWowbagger wrote:(2) Art is no longer going to feel bound to use a particular image on a new 1E card just because the 2EBC card on which the new card is vaguely based also used that image.
I honestly wonder if anyone would complain if this restriction is lifted and Art is free to either pick an image that's relatively close if not exact frame, or something completely new if looks cool.

That would make both Conversion and Errata far easier I would think.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
It is a pity joy that Discomendation will also ruin preserve the long running history of the 1E Open format as being the STCCG format where you can actually use all 1E cards without the ugliness of those cheap 2E impersonators.
Fixed that for ya. :wink:
Banning hundreds of cards from the 1E game due to aesthetics... sorry, that's the antithesis of 'preserving' the tradition of the Open format which has been part of STCCG since Day 1.
Last edited by tomek on Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: And, hey, if you can find somebody crazy enough to play Open with you, I'm sure you can convince the mad lads to play with 2EBC cards, too.
It happens every year at the Cool Tournament at Gencon.

The Open format and the craziness of the Cool Tournament makes it my favorite tournament to design decks for and play in, and it is one of the main draws for me personally to try to make it to Gencon.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
tomek wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: And, hey, if you can find somebody crazy enough to play Open with you, I'm sure you can convince the mad lads to play with 2EBC cards, too.
It happens every year at the Cool Tournament at Gencon.

The Open format and the craziness of the Cool Tournament makes it my favorite tournament to design decks for and play in, and it is one of the main draws for me personally to try to make it to Gencon.
When I get to michigan we can have some open/traditional games. make it the true wild west.

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I was on the lets get a rid of 2E cards from the get go, now I have to say a few of them can be really fun and in the right deck open all sorts of possibilities. I will miss those few and I don't really think the Discomendation conversion project will go over a smoothly as most are thinking it will.
Question for noob

To his location (but anywhere at that location - p[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]