This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
So by my reckoning we're 9 days away from series G being printable, so looks like it's time to get series I out there! And the first card is... Saltah'na Clock? Well, can't say it would be my first choice, but looking at it again, it makes me think there is some untapped potential there for causing chaos and mayhem with your opponent. So I pose two questions for you:

1) What Saltah'na Clock shenanigans are you thinking about?

2) What other cards are you hoping to seein Series I?

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Can you elect to earn an artifact, or does it happen automatically as long as you meet the requirements? Cause if you could put this as a final "dilemma" on the mission you put Scout Encounter under...
Last edited by winterflames on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 -  
Oooh, that would be a fun way to stop Borg from probing!

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
winterflames wrote:Can you elect to earn an artifact, or does it happen automatically as long as you meet the requirements? Cause if you could put this as a final "dilemma" on the mission you put Scout Encounter under...
glossary wrote:A seeded artifact is earned when the mission is completed, not when the artifact is encountered. (The Borg must complete an objective that allowed scouting a location before the Survey Drone can acquire any artifacts seeded at that location.) “Earned” is synonymous with “acquired.” Cards seeded like artifacts are earned or acquired in the same way as artifacts. See scouting.
Meaning:
You need to complete the mission to earn the artifact. If the Borg complete the objective and do not have the Survey Drone ready, I guess it just hangs around there forever or until said Survey Drone is ever present at that location. You as an opponent will never have access to that artifact because you never will complete that mission once the objective is complete.

And why would that stop Borg from probing?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
Oh, and sadly, I dont like the promo picture.
This picture is more suited for an Interrupt or Event. For me, artifacts should be the total centerpiece of an artifact card.
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 -  
Dunnagh wrote:
winterflames wrote:Can you elect to earn an artifact, or does it happen automatically as long as you meet the requirements? Cause if you could put this as a final "dilemma" on the mission you put Scout Encounter under...
glossary wrote:A seeded artifact is earned when the mission is completed, not when the artifact is encountered. (The Borg must complete an objective that allowed scouting a location before the Survey Drone can acquire any artifacts seeded at that location.) “Earned” is synonymous with “acquired.” Cards seeded like artifacts are earned or acquired in the same way as artifacts. See scouting.
Meaning:
You need to complete the mission to earn the artifact. If the Borg complete the objective and do not have the Survey Drone ready, I guess it just hangs around there forever or until said Survey Drone is ever present at that location. You as an opponent will never have access to that artifact because you never will complete that mission once the objective is complete.

Battling stops Borg from probing. Hence why Borg hate that Romulan drone deck! But you're right, the potential lack of Survey Drone makes it far too unreliable.

As for the image, it's mislabeled as Dramatis Personae but the presence of Worf makes it much later. I don't mind the presence of the personnel though. It's meant to be an "alternate image" so given it was a one time plotline, it's nice to have a different look and context for the thing.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
So you can force a non- [Bor] opponent to acquire it, then You get to choose which ship it is placed on, then they have to attack your Scout until they destroy it! The ship is stopped each turn it fails to destroy your Scout (plus the turn it succeeds), thus locking down one ship and crew at the expense of one seed card (assuming the opponent doesn't use Unstoppers) for potentially several turns. If you use Mission Debriefing, you have no less than 2 turns after mission completion. How do you make them acquire it in space... Unless they have a dual mission? Used with God or Lack of Prep Crisis to force a ship?

Edit: I always get those two mixed up.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
KazonPADD wrote:
Dunnagh wrote:
Meaning:

Battling stops Borg from probing. Hence why Borg hate that Romulan drone deck! But you're right, the potential lack of Survey Drone makes it far too unreliable.

As for the image, it's mislabeled as Dramatis Personae but the presence of Worf makes it much later. I don't mind the presence of the personnel though. It's meant to be an "alternate image" so given it was a one time plotline, it's nice to have a different look and context for the thing.
Not only the above, but Survey Drone actually says "May acquire artifacts..." I think the Borg player can simply choose not to acquire it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
Also, in any case, artifacts are completely ignored for mission/objective solving purposes. They are conceptually set aside when encountered (unless you have a skill that lets you acquire them immediately)

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Back when DS9 first came out I brought to a Borg Saltah'na Clock deck to the first tournament after the release. I would get the clock on my cube and then go around the spaceline blowing the heck out of my opponent. Enough tactical drones (Thirteen of Nineteen) on your ship and it could take out outposts :)

- Orbin

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Orbin wrote:Back when DS9 first came out I brought to a Borg Saltah'na Clock deck to the first tournament after the release. I would get the clock on my cube and then go around the spaceline blowing the heck out of my opponent. Enough tactical drones (Thirteen of Nineteen) on your ship and it could take out outposts :)

- Orbin
I rember that deck with Horror!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:
Orbin wrote:Back when DS9 first came out I brought to a Borg Saltah'na Clock deck to the first tournament after the release. I would get the clock on my cube and then go around the spaceline blowing the heck out of my opponent. Enough tactical drones (Thirteen of Nineteen) on your ship and it could take out outposts :)

- Orbin
I rember that deck with Horror!
I also played a deck like that once upon a time.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Why doesn't Artillery get as much play as Armus - Skin? The probability favors an equal number of kills, with the chance of additional kills (or discarding the top card of their deck) and most people don't put equipment in their decks if they can help it that I can see (Into the Tent for Download)

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote:Why doesn't Artillery get as much play as Armus - Skin? The probability favors an equal number of kills, with the chance of additional kills (or discarding the top card of their deck) and most people don't put equipment in their decks if they can help it that I can see (Into the Tent for Download)
Good points. I think some of those decks use Armus because Artillery isn't available (OTSD, Premiere-only, etc.). A few others use it with All-Consuming Evil, and may just have it in a side deck. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I'd rather have Artillery or a doubled Armus. Maybe it would depend on the other dilemmas in the combo.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]