This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By martok88
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Champion 2023
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E British National Champion 2023
1E German National Champion 2024
1E Swedish National Runner-Up 2018
1E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2023
I got two questions concerning reporting ships at docking sites:

Question 1: about Docking Ports...

Do the conditions in the first part (compatible, vip, or computer skill), affect the last sentence? I ask because the last sentence, read by itself, does not have a condition for compatibility.

For example, can I report the new Ferengi Freighter there for free even though the station is Bajoran or Cardassian?

Question 2:, about Docking Pads. Can the U.S.S. Danube report there if the station is Cardassian? I.e. since the reporting is done using the ship, not the site, does it still have to be compatible?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
martok88 wrote:I got two questions concerning reporting ships at docking sites:

Question 1: about Docking Ports...

Do the conditions in the first part (compatible, vip, or computer skill), affect the last sentence? I ask because the last sentence, read by itself, does not have a condition for compatibility.
I am fairly sure the answer is "basically yes": the freighter or transport must meet the conditions of the first part. The second sentence doesn't enable any reporting; it simply says that a card that already is reporting reports for free if it meets certain conditions. So first you ask, "Can I report this Ferengi Freighter?" by checking the first part. If the answer is "Yes," then you ask "Now that it is reporting, does it report for free?" based on the second part.
Question 2:, about Docking Pads. Can the U.S.S. Danube report there if the station is Cardassian? I.e. since the reporting is done using the ship, not the site, does it still have to be compatible?
I believe that it can report to Docking Pads, because the reporting is provided by the ship card, not the site. (Same reason Luther Sloan can report to a Repurposed Outpost.) But note that it can't take off or land without meeting the requirements of the Site card.

You could make an argument going the other way, and say that the Danube card is not actually providing independent reporting, but is merely (like the Docking Ports) saying that, when reporting to Docking Pads (using the text on Docking Pads), this card may do so free. But I think that would not be the most natural reading of the card.

By martok88
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Champion 2023
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E British National Champion 2023
1E German National Champion 2024
1E Swedish National Runner-Up 2018
1E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:I am fairly sure the answer is "basically yes": the freighter or transport must meet the conditions of the first part. The second sentence doesn't enable any reporting; it simply says that a card that already is reporting reports for free if it meets certain conditions. So first you ask, "Can I report this Ferengi Freighter?" by checking the first part. If the answer is "Yes," then you ask "Now that it is reporting, does it report for free?" based on the second part.
hm ok, that's a pity. DS9 at the Wormhole is really nice for new Gamma quadrant Ferengi decks (e.g. for Ferengi Conference and free reports at Quark's bar), so unlimited free ships there would have been perfect!

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
martok88 wrote:hm ok, that's a pity. DS9 at the Wormhole is really nice for new Gamma quadrant Ferengi decks (e.g. for Ferengi Conference and free reports at Quark's bar), so unlimited free ships there would have been perfect!
Report either Quark or Leeta to the bar (for free), walk them to the Docking Ports, and you can report all of the Ferengi Freighters there that you'd like.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
commdecker wrote:You don't even need the personnel. Quark's Bar lets Ferengi ships report to the station.
Huh... when you read all the way to the end of a card, you learn new things. ;-)

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maelwys wrote:
commdecker wrote:You don't even need the personnel. Quark's Bar lets Ferengi ships report to the station.
Huh... when you read all the way to the end of a card, you learn new things. ;-)
Klingon Restaurant has a similar effect on [Kli]. And tailor shop lets the Kardashians in, but you have to actually walk somebody over to doc.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
winterflames wrote:And tailor shop lets the Kardashians in,
OK now thats just going to far I'm ok with greedy Ferengi runnign aroudn the station, seom unrully Klingons trashign teh place is ok as well, BUT the LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE we can not start letting the Kardashians in what kind of joint do you think this station is.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
And that should teach me to dictate posts to my phone.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:
winterflames wrote:And tailor shop lets the Kardashians in,
OK now thats just going to far I'm ok with greedy Ferengi runnign aroudn the station, seom unrully Klingons trashign teh place is ok as well, BUT the LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE we can not start letting the Kardashians in what kind of joint do you think this station is.
Best auto correct text and follow up quote post of 2015 hahaha.

~D

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I thought this was odd when I was reading Docking Ports the other day. It looks like (along with Docking Pads this is one of the only cards that allows you to report totally incompatible cards for duty.

That is, I on Terok Nor, I could use Ops to download any [Car] with Computer skill, say Ari then (if I had another card paly or it was another turn), walk him over to Docking Ports or Pads and then, the next turn report a Romulan Shuttle without any Romulans being involved at all.

I believe this is correct because I am the "player controlling ship" *AS* the ship is entering play under the reinterpretation of "your cards" in an article that I read about Weapons Locker. (I wish I could find this article; it discussed how weapons locker is unusable unless the weapon is "your" card in the moment you are playing it rather than after it enters play.)

Does that sound right to you all?

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:50 pm I thought this was odd when I was reading Docking Ports the other day. It looks like (along with Docking Pads this is one of the only cards that allows you to report totally incompatible cards for duty.

That is, I on Terok Nor, I could use Ops to download any [Car] with Computer skill, say Ari then (if I had another card paly or it was another turn), walk him over to Docking Ports or Pads and then, the next turn report a Romulan Shuttle without any Romulans being involved at all.

I believe this is correct because I am the "player controlling ship" *AS* the ship is entering play under the reinterpretation of "your cards" in an article that I read about Weapons Locker. (I wish I could find this article; it discussed how weapons locker is unusable unless the weapon is "your" card in the moment you are playing it rather than after it enters play.)

Does that sound right to you all?
Based on the wording I think "Any ship" is unambiguous, and "You control each card you seed or play, as well as any Headquarters of an affiliation you are playing." Of course, quadrant restrictions apply because the card allowing reporting is a site, so that is somewhat limiting.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Yes, I think so too.

The only limitation would be whether I am "player controlling ship" for a ship that hasn't completed entering play yet. I wish I could find that article that discussed the meaning of "your hand weapons"....
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 pm Yes, I think so too.

The only limitation would be whether I am "player controlling ship" for a ship that hasn't completed entering play yet. I wish I could find that article that discussed the meaning of "your hand weapons"....
This one, mayhap?

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Exactly! If we apply this new ruling:
"Your" cards are indeed the cards you control, and you do indeed control the cards you've played (not cards in your hand) -- but you don't have to wait until the card is fully reported for control (and related effects) to kick in.

Then, a player who is playing a ship at a Nor is the "player controlling ship" even if it hasn't entered play yet, which would mean that in addition to the normal compatibility based reporting, that player should have the option of reporting even incompatible ships if the player has Computer Skill unopposed at Docking Ports or pads.

Maybe this is how people have been playing for a while, but apparently reading the article about the new ruling helped this click in my head.
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]