This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In a recent tournament, we came across a situation where a Love Interest was seeded at the only planet in its quadrant. Is the "furthest planet" then the current location, or does the dilemma get discarded due to lack of targets? At the tourney, we decided that it just gets discarded, because that's how Hippocratic Oath works. But now that I reread the Oath, I notice that it specifically requires that the planet be "at another location". So I don't see any reason that the furthest can't also be the closest.

But in that case, I think the Love Interest would still usually do nothing, since it would relocate the target from the planet to the same planet, where it would join an appropriate Away Team on the planet, which is probably the one it came from. I don't think Mission Debriefing would even stop the target in this case.

Then one more situation I thought of is if I try to use Jealous Amanda to override a (combo) Love Interest on a spaceline with no planets. The dilemma would normally be discarded because of lacking a planet target, but it looks like I still get to respond to the dilemma and override its effect:
actions – step 1: initiation wrote:Dilemma encounters – The initiation of a dilemma encounter is complete (i.e, it has been “just encountered” and may be responded to) once any targets for the dilemma have been chosen and you have checked to see if the crew or Away Team can meet the dilemma’s conditions (if any). If the dilemma requires a trigger or specifies targets with specific features which are not present, the dilemma will have no effect, but the initiation is still complete. (See dilemma resolution.)
I could then override the "normal result" of "nothing" with "relocate to any planet location".

Does this all sound right? Anything I'm missing?

EDIT: This was discussed here in the context of The Sheliak.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I believe your Jealous Amanda scenario is correct (you can relocate to any planet, even if the love interest would be discarded because there is no planet on the current spaceline). I'm not sure what happens in the other scenario of one one planet on the spaceline. I would say the person is relocated to the planet they are already on, but whether they continue in the mission attempt or are "separated" from the rest of the attempters until the attempt is over? I don't know.........

but to confuse the matter there is a question I wanted to ask.

What if there is one space mission on a spaceline, and I encounter Cytherians there? Do I score 15 points and go onto the next dilemma? Does the card go on my ship, mission attempt ends, then I score 15 points, and then I can reattempt the mission (thus opening me up to being stopped by mission debriefing)?

Same scenario. one space mission on spaceline. Tolian Soran is aboard my ship there. I encounter The Nexus. Does the Nexus go right there, destroy my ship, end my mission attempt, and Tolian goes right into the Nexus with my other personnel, and I score 20 points because he is under the nexus? and then does the Nexus go right onto the table because it is already at the end of the spaceline? if mission debriefing is in play, are my personnel under the Nexus stopped?

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
Takket wrote:I believe your Jealous Amanda scenario is correct (you can relocate to any planet, even if the love interest would be discarded because there is no planet on the current spaceline). I'm not sure what happens in the other scenario of one one planet on the spaceline. I would say the person is relocated to the planet they are already on, but whether they continue in the mission attempt or are "separated" from the rest of the attempters until the attempt is over? I don't know...
Just like Hippocratic Oath when Aid Fugitives is in play and you there are no other planets on the curre t spaceline, the Love Interest is discarded because a valid target does not exist. If you hit Love Interest/Garbage Scow in this scenario you skip the Love Interest and face the Scow. One reason it's important to make sure there are two planets on a spaceline when using either Hippocratic Oath or a Love Intetest of you want to put at one of the planets.

Takket wrote:What if there is one space mission on a spaceline, and I encounter Cytherians there? Do I score 15 points and go onto the next dilemma? Does the card go on my ship, mission attempt ends, then I score 15 points, and then I can reattempt the mission (thus opening me up to being stopped by mission debriefing)?
You score the 15 points immediately as you are at the far end of the spaceline. Note that you would be stopped if you either player has Mission Debriefing (but the points are automatically earned).
Takket wrote:Same scenario. one space mission on spaceline. Tolian Soran is aboard my ship there. I encounter The Nexus. Does the Nexus go right there, destroy my ship, end my mission attempt, and Tolian goes right into the Nexus with my other personnel, and I score 20 points because he is under the nexus? and then does the Nexus go right onto the table because it is already at the end of the spaceline? if mission debriefing is in play, are my personnel under the Nexus stopped?
This one I am unsure about - because as soon as it reaches the far end of the spaceline it goes to the table... If I were TD I would say its a three step process (1) relocate to far end of spaceline - which is current location. (2) destroy ships there. (3) relocate Nexus to table.

I may be wrong though.
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]