This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 178 posts

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Slayer07 wrote:Seems to me to be in the same vein as Sergey and Helena.
But it's not the same vein because nothing is bolded in the lore text of the Twin Mistresses.

Sergey and Helena have bolded names - implying a deliberate design intent to one day fulfill, via the persona rule. They are "links" that are "broken" - if they weren't, there would be no reason to bold them.

The Twin Mistresses are the opposite - there is no bolded text, and thus no "broken" link to close. There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the designers intended to make other persona versions of those cards. If anything, the choice to NOT bold them can be read as a designer's intent that this card - the Twin Mistresses - be the definitive and singular version (persona) of the Delaney Sisters.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
frakkingoff wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:Seems to me to be in the same vein as Sergey and Helena.
But it's not the same vein because nothing is bolded in the lore text of the Twin Mistresses.

Sergey and Helena have bolded names - implying a deliberate design intent to one day fulfill, via the persona rule. They are "links" that are "broken" - if they weren't, there would be no reason to bold them.

The Twin Mistresses are the opposite - there is no bolded text, and thus no "broken" link to close. There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the designers intended to make other persona versions of those cards. If anything, the choice to NOT bold them can be read as a designer's intent that this card - the Twin Mistresses - be the definitive and singular version (persona) of the Delaney Sisters.
Or, the designers of the time decided that if the Sisters were ever to be made they'd put the bold reference there instead.

I'm in the "futureproofing is not a broken link" camp. It's not promising more cards, it's leaving wiggle-room so future designers don't curse our name for painting them into a corner. :)

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Back to the Twin Mistresses - the main problem is that the Delaney Sisters, often mentioned, were never actually seen _except_ in a Captain Proton program. Probably why they decided not to make any persona reference - no way to picture them in a normal Voyager environment.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
They were seen of the holodeck in a normal environment. Just not in Starfleet uniforms. Officially anyway. There was apparently a deleted scene in 'Thirty Days' with them in uniform but I would assume that means there is no footage of it anywhere though Memory Alpha does have a picture from somewhere.

By Melas
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
jrch5618 wrote:"Return" Objectives: downloaded by [Obj] Seek Hidden Reliquary
Only one such card exists: [Obj] HQ: Return Orb to Bajor (and one that makes NO sense with this story as a note.)
Just looked through all the broken links listed and wondered about this one.
Till I noticed that it has to be closed because of the errata the card received.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Melas wrote:
jrch5618 wrote:"Return" Objectives: downloaded by [Obj] Seek Hidden Reliquary
Only one such card exists: [Obj] HQ: Return Orb to Bajor (and one that makes NO sense with this story as a note.)
Just looked through all the broken links listed and wondered about this one.
Till I noticed that it has to be closed because of the errata the card received.
Thanks for reminding me. Off it goes. I'm also starting to compile a list of named-in-lore references that don't currently have cards. It might take a while.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote:It might take a while.
If those count as broken links, I'm retiring. :)

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I just added a new item to my list. Supplant Opposite mentions [SF] cards with "mirror universe' in lore. There is none. So I'm calling it a broken link.

Also, in the February rules update, the term 'exposed' referring to ships that are undocked, uncloaked, unphased, and not landed or carried. Ptfi called it a broken link. Who am I to argue with the Rules Master?

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Based on this conversation:

viewtopic.php?f=310&t=39537

I’d like to submit that [Fed] genetically enhanced personnel is a broken link. The [Fed] CIVILIAN part of this card grabs all of the Jack Pack already and as noted the second clause only adds Julian Bashir to the download pool. This implies a second [Fed] genetically enhanced personnel should be added to make this clause relevant.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Based on this conversation:

viewtopic.php?f=310&t=39537

I’d like to submit that [Fed] genetically enhanced personnel is a broken link. The [Fed] CIVILIAN part of this card grabs all of the Jack Pack already and as noted the second clause only adds Julian Bashir to the download pool. This implies a second [Fed] genetically enhanced personnel should be added to make this clause relevant.
You can also grab Admiral Patrick
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
I can think of at least one broken link in G’Kar / Na’Toth so far...

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I already have 3rd/5's [DL] on my list. I admit I haven't really updated this in a while - I have to go through The Cage and other recent stuff to see if there's suitable links. I'll try to look into updating. Thanks for renewed interest in my list :P

I don't see any broken link activity from Equilibrium or The Gift. (I know I'm a bit behind.)

The Cage update:

There are 4 new broken links

Corbomite Maneuver, downloadable by Risk Is Our Business
I Love You, [DL] from Miramanee
The Murasaki Region: the lonely home of Examine Quasar
Starbase 11: commanded by Commander Stone

And a closed link.
Starship Constellation, commanded by Commodore Decker.

If anyone sees others, please let me know.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Not to tell on myself, but Commodore Stone's download is a broken link. We made the card but cut it for space, since we only had 63 slots.

We also made I Love You but cut it for power level.

We made, I think, two more cards for The Cage that closed links, but had to send both to other sets when our mandate changed.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
jrch5618 wrote: NEW! Corbomite Maneuver: named by [Inc] Risk Is Our Business
It's Corbomite Device, not Maneuver. That's just the name of the episode. =)
Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]